SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908
Default West Africa

I'm leaving Sunday to go to Africa for work and I was wondering if anybody here has ever been to that part of the world. I'm going to Nigeria, Angola, Congo, Gabon and Ghana and I'm wondering about what I can expect.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Send us some PICKs when you get there!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Swordfish

I'll be spending most of my free time on here so I'm sure I'll have quite a few interesting sights to post.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

Watch out for the skinnies!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 685

I've been to Nigeria and Gabon. What part of Nigeria are you going Port harcort or lagos.I was in port harcort, we traveled to and from work with armed guards. there was trash all over.It was quite the experience on the way from the airport to the hotel i saw a guy taking a dump right there on the sidewalk. Gabon was much nicer
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick143 View Post
What part of Nigeria are you going Port harcort or lagos.
I'm flying in to Lagos but working out of Port Harcourt and Calabar. I'll have the whole "armed guard" experience also...might have to bribe them to let me put some gear on for a pic or two.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

A Boat Load of Hunting!! I would definitely see into that if I went...............I'd come back BROKE!! Ha!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Ive been to new orleans

pretty similar
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 600

Be damn careful in Nigeria long. It is not the safest place in the world to go. Good luck with job.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 630

Get ready for a eye opening experience you will realize how good we have it here in the USA(despite Obama). These contries could be beautiful places but the goverments don't take care of their people. Their governments are 1000x more corrupt than Louisiana politics. Make sure you get your shots. And at the airports try not to make eye contact with the armed security they will sometimes hassle you if you do. make sure too that you don't carry any valuables or any of sentimental value to you because everything is fair game to the custom agents. Don't drink the water either!!!!!!!! don't even put ice in your drinks. I have had first hand experience in some of these West African countries and if I had to choose between having a job and going back. I would be first in line to the unemployment line I will never go back ever again just too many bad experiences. I mean if you have to take that many shots to go somewhere then you just are not meant to be there. And don't shake hands either some of them don't use toilet paper they just use their hand. Also I can and always wil remember the smell of those places especially Nigeria and Angola you will never forget the smell. Just my 2 cents on these places. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Swordfish

Thanks for the input, believe me if I didn't need the money I wouldn't be going there. Its just nice to know that when I get back I will have made enough to pay off my bills.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

bag me an elephant please!!! i want sum elephant backstrap. mmmmmm tasty!!!! lol
Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Swordfish

Lol I'll see what I can do, I don't know if I have an ice chest big enough to haul that back in lol. I bet those crocs are a little harder to catch than the gators in the bayous lol.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
Lol I'll see what I can do, I don't know if I have an ice chest big enough to haul that back in lol. I bet those crocs are a little harder to catch than the gators in the bayous lol.
i bet they are. have a safe , and exciting trip bud. dont forget the pics!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunman7925 View Post
Get ready for a eye opening experience you will realize how good we have it here in the USA(despite Obama). These contries could be beautiful places but the goverments don't take care of their people. Their governments are 1000x more corrupt than Louisiana politics. Make sure you get your shots. And at the airports try not to make eye contact with the armed security they will sometimes hassle you if you do. make sure too that you don't carry any valuables or any of sentimental value to you because everything is fair game to the custom agents. Don't drink the water either!!!!!!!! don't even put ice in your drinks. I have had first hand experience in some of these West African countries and if I had to choose between having a job and going back. I would be first in line to the unemployment line I will never go back ever again just too many bad experiences. I mean if you have to take that many shots to go somewhere then you just are not meant to be there. And don't shake hands either some of them don't use toilet paper they just use their hand. Also I can and always wil remember the smell of those places especially Nigeria and Angola you will never forget the smell. Just my 2 cents on these places. GOOD LUCK
you are right about the smell. it's just a nasty a$$ place.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 640

beware bot flies or anything that might carry their eggs...mosquitos, other flies, whatever....video not for the squemish...this guy got his in Panama, but they are where you are going too...Would NOT want this in me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eimVLAQ2c
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I wonder how long those things had been growing?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lake Blondie View Post
beware bot flies or anything that might carry their eggs
Yea I talked to a few people that have been there before and they have all told me not to slap at a bug that's on me but to blow it off instead. They said that theres some kind of bug over there that has some kind of acid in it's system and if you smash it on you the acid can actually eat through your skin. One guy showed me some pretty nasty scars that he got while in West Africa and he said that that's what it's from.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
Yea I talked to a few people that have been there before and they have all told me not to slap at a bug that's on me but to blow it off instead. They said that theres some kind of bug over there that has some kind of acid in it's system and if you smash it on you the acid can actually eat through your skin. One guy showed me some pretty nasty scars that he got while in West Africa and he said that that's what it's from.
Just make to get all your shots and to take your malaria meds.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Swordfish

I finished taking my shots about a month and a half ago and started taking the doxycyclene last saturday to make sure it's in my system before I get there.