SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Slow start Strong finish

Shelly was not feeling well and the residual seas from the last 2 days were still up so Add decided to pack the boat up and head back up state. Barry and his son hopped on the bay boat and we went searching for some redfish. Our day started slow. Had to wait for the waters to warm up. Barry hooked up to the first of many rat reds.

It was late in the day when we had our first good fish on. Mike had the fun of fighting this fish however the fish was just looking to go back into his hide away. It ran around the back side of the stand of rozos and then made a dash deep into them. With the fish about 15 feet inside all we could do is keep pressure on it hoping it would follow the line back out into the open. I got on the trolling motor and went around to a place that we could be in front of the fish. The fish almost made it out but was so tangled it fought it's way almost out of the water. We found it hanging deep inside the canes. The line had the rozos tied in a bundle.

We got in close enough to get a net under the fish and cut the canes to get our line and equipment free along with the fish.

This was a first for me and a trophy for Mike. He and his dad had bets for the first in the box, the biggest, and the most. So far he had 1 for sure and maybe 2 of the 3 bets.

We had several rats but nothing was happening as far as putting food on the table. This little guy was worth a picture with all the bright spots.

It was late in the day and after covering several miles of fishing places before we found our second keeper. This was way inside a back area that was so shallow the trolling motor came to a halt in the mud.

We were now getting some more shorts so that was an indication of the bite turning on in this area. As I am trolling the edges Barry tosses a bait about 8 to 10 feet from the boat just at the edge of the canes and the water explodes.

Once again the hog decides to run back into the canes. After a short while Barry was able to get this one out into the open and we landed another one for the box. The fish was sitting in that little indention in the canes in front of the fishes mouth.

Ever since the one big fish of the day Mike had been watching us catch fish without getting a bite. Most kids would have quit by then but he kept at it without even slowing down or complaining. He had to photo bomb his dad on the next one just to prove he was still with us.

Little did he know his time to shine was just ahead. We went to our very last spot. It was a win loose or draw end of the day stop. The first couple of baits are bit off. Then the catfish hit all of us. Mike is bringing in what he thinks is another catfish. This one came in on a dead shrimp on the bottom. A keeper 13 inch speck.

We gave it till 3:15 because they had to go back to New Orleans for dinner with the rest of the family that stayed up there. On our last cast while I was cleaning the boat and picking things up I hear the drag scream and Mike said "What do I do"? Without looking up I said "land the fish". Now dad is making a commotion and I look up. "We have a situation" Mike has the pole, I have the reel, and dad grabs the net. This was a team work landing.

The reel broke at the base. I am not worried about it because this is over 2 years old and has done it's job landing thousands of pounds of fish during it's time in service. I have brand new backups.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 04-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 670

Looks like ya'll had a pretty good day.