SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534
Default White perch

I am new to white perch fishing. What are some good tips and tricks to start out with?? We fish with live shiners. We fish on Vernon lake over structure. We fish after dark with lights. How deep do we need to fish ?? Do we get submersible lights ??

Any tricks are appreciated.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I am new to white perch fishing. What are some good tips and tricks to start out with?? We fish with live shiners. We fish on Vernon lake over structure. We fish after dark with lights. How deep do we need to fish ?? Do we get submersible lights ??

Any tricks are appreciated.
They should be deep this time of year. Not familiar with the lake, but white perch will hold to structure pretty well, and right now I would suspect them to be on the edge of channels. They typically will feed up, so you don't want to have your bait beneath them. If your line goes slack, it means one is coming up with it, and you need to fish a little shallower. They typically hang out in the same depth, so if you catch a few at a certain depth, it generally holds true throughout the lake. If you have a depth finder, just troll around the deeper water and look for schools of bait on the finder, the white perch will be nearby and that will help you with your depth to find them. They are sluggish this time of year so got to be patient. My favorite fish to catch ..and I never have reallly cared for lights that much, it seems like it would be the ticket, but never seemed to catch anymore fish than we do throughout the day. One other thing, is that in the summer the fish typically bite during the hottest part of the day (I wish I was kidding!) 10 am - 2 pm is the best time for us on N La lakes, just have to put on your big boy pants and fight the heat!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
They should be deep this time of year. Not familiar with the lake, but white perch will hold to structure pretty well, and right now I would suspect them to be on the edge of channels. They typically will feed up, so you don't want to have your bait beneath them. If your line goes slack, it means one is coming up with it, and you need to fish a little shallower. They typically hang out in the same depth, so if you catch a few at a certain depth, it generally holds true throughout the lake. If you have a depth finder, just troll around the deeper water and look for schools of bait on the finder, the white perch will be nearby and that will help you with your depth to find them. They are sluggish this time of year so got to be patient. My favorite fish to catch ..and I never have reallly cared for lights that much, it seems like it would be the ticket, but never seemed to catch anymore fish than we do throughout the day. One other thing, is that in the summer the fish typically bite during the hottest part of the day (I wish I was kidding!) 10 am - 2 pm is the best time for us on N La lakes, just have to put on your big boy pants and fight the heat!

yeah you right. In the lakes I normally fish, I usually look for big overhanging trees that create shade underneath them. You would think they'd be far down under the shade in what would seem to be the coolest water, but usually we find them in the top 4ft of water even if theres another 10-15 under them. Only colors i through are black/chartreuse and blue/white and never fish with live bait.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Great White

Bohunterbiff hung one about 15' down with a deep diving crankbait. We waited til after dark and hit some stumps along with about 5 other boats all with lanterns and we caught about 20 more about 3' under the water. The bait under the lantern was unreal,. They wouldnt touch shiners, but i could drop a plain jig head below the "bait swarm" and "set the hook" and catch a small shad (about 3/4") and drop the shad down and almost instantly have a white perch. We tried arties, but they wanted live bait.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

One of the biggest things to remember is they will never go down for a bait. Fishing the right depth is very important. Can't help you with that lake I fish the basin for them...totally different style of fishing. I never fish any deeper than 6 foot deep,open lakes are alot different.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

If you fishing jigs ,make sure and use a crappie nibble on the hook.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

If you're fishin lights they'll come to it so they won't be real derp
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547

derp de derp derp!! LMAO
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Great White

what the f is derp ????

::::scratching head:::::::