SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893
Default public land duck hunting etiquette

i'd like to get some ideas on what people think is proper hunting etiquette on public land. i've always hunted on a lease and i'd like some opinions. ( i won't be there for the first couple of weeks. still deer hunting)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

I hunt on a lease but I have spent many days hunting public land on Sabine and Lacassine NWR.
1. There will always be "arce clowns out there". Do not get into an argument with them...remember everybody has gun and some could be loaded. One moment's action could haunt you and your family for the rest of your life.
2. Scout where you believe the birds will be well in advance of your hunt. It is also good to have several alternative spots. Remember you are hunting on public land. There is no such thing as "I was here last week so this is my spot!" Some hunters will respect that but some will not. If you get into an argument with them and it gets confrontational you may lose. Just move on to another spot, you will probably do just as good or even better.
3. If you are moving through a spot and somebody shines a light at you, be respectful, shine back and keep moving. They were there first...if you had done your scouting then you have plan B and C.
4. If you have been in a great spot and someone is there and sets up before you get there the "suck it up" and keep moving to another spot which some else has set up then go back to plan B or C. There is no duck hunting spot that is worth you becoming "Bubba's Butt Buddy". As I as stated earlier...we all have loaded guns out there...keep cool! Best of luck to all of the refuge hunters. Please remember, we have a lot of kids out there, the way we handle situations will have a profound influence on them and the future of hunting.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

To reiterate what Cajun Duckman said, the biggest problem wit public land hunting is the sense of entitlement. Maybe it's more than just duck hunting wit that problem actually.

Also, the "Once a guest, Always a guest" rule needs to be mentioned.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Also, the "Once a guest, Always a guest" rule needs to be mentioned.

Can you explain this one? First I hear of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Can you explain this one? First I hear of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's like this... If I were to show you a killer spot in the refuge then, as a friend and red blooded American you will not show up @ that spot 4am the following weekend.

You will only hunt that spot with the original person whom took you or with his permission.

But...... If you do have permission, choose your hunting party wisely.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

What they said to the tee! ^
Old 11-13-2014, 01:28 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout rivers View Post
What they said to the tee! ^

We always respected someone else's spot. If you know some one hunts a spot every day. We never would try to beat them to there spot. Go find your own spot. I'm sure some will not agree with this.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
We always respected someone else's spot. If you know some one hunts a spot every day. We never would try to beat them to there spot. Go find your own spot. I'm sure some will not agree with this.
Anndddddd ...... Exactly what they said papap

I was agreeing
Old 11-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
It's like this... If I were to show you a killer spot in the refuge then, as a friend and red blooded American you will not show up @ that spot 4am the following weekend.

You will only hunt that spot with the original person whom took you or with his permission.

But...... If you do have permission, choose your hunting party wisely.
^^^^^^^

I've lost some hunting buddies and good friends to this. My own fault for taking them. Happened at Lac and my dads old deer lease. One season we lost our blind due to the hurricane, so we would rotate about 5 sloughs and kill our woodies (bring 5 or so people so we could kill more, this was when 2 was the limit). By rotating them, and not killing over the limit, made for consistent hunting. Besides my pops and little brother, we would only bring people that did not have access to the lease. Messed up and brought a friend thats dad was also on the lease. Next thing you know there are hulls everywhere (picked up our hulls to hide some evidence from people who were curious of our "squirrel" hunts lol) at the only spot I took the person to. It wasn't long until they found the rest of the holes as well. Ran every duck out of that place within a weekend. Would shoot at one spot at daylight, then go crawl the next slough etc.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,453

I've come to realize there is not much etiquette when it comes to fishjng and hunting!! Everyone thinks that is only one 8 lb bass in the lake or only one 10 pt in woods. It would be nice for people to respect ur space and not hunt the same tree as u when u leave.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Public land etiquette is an oxymoron