SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Empire/Venice days

It has been raining 1.5-4 inches a day for 3 days. The fronts and high winds and seas are getting old. I managed to slip out between storms and went out back in the empire area to find trout and end the boredom. one day I invited Cowboy to join me. He is an oysterman but the winds were high in the morning so he did not run that day. We just whnt into bay adams and looked for some birds. Found a few and picked away. Many small ones and a lot of sailcats. We hit one of my honey holes and that is where we had our best luck.

Ended up with a good meal. Not bad for a quick hit.

Being shut in with all this rain has gotten me stir crazy. The other day the last day of the rain I decided to go out between the bands of rain. That day we had 3.6 inches of rain here.

The water was dirty with all the runoff.

Almost a waste of time but I just had to get out of the house. The first window of about 2.5 hours I had ONLY 2 bites and the birds were non existant. The band of storms drove me in and I went to the marina and waited it out. I had rain gear but these bands had a lot of lightning in them with heavy downpoursand some reports of hail. On the second attempt the birds were still not flying so I just scouted some pockets I thought the fish would be. I was begining to think I should have just sat home and watched TV. When I first get the short strikes of a trout I hit that area hard. Having nothing posative for the day except a well washed boat I had nothing to loose. After a few shorts I get one just 12 inches. Cats will eat tonight! At least the rod is bouncing. Picked away and had some fun with only 2 more in the box. On one cast the hit is hard and the drag starts running. The line is going from the side of the boat to the bow with the drag screaming. Nice Red! Once I turn it the rod has the unmistakable trout bounce. At one time in the fight I was thinking big sail cat. Once near the boat I see it is a big trout. I could not net it so once I saw the hook was in good I just swam it into the boat.

This was a solid hump back 21 incher that I guess went over 5 pounds. It is on my list of one of the biggest I have caught. I have only been into inshore fishing for about a year so I now have bigger goals to accomplish from here. It kind of looks like a different type of fish it was so much bigger.

I get a call and have to quit fishing. One eye Ed of cajunodysea.com needed a deckhand for the next day so I had to head in and clean up my boat and fish. The next day I meet up with the customers and it turns out to be Chris and his friend. I was fishing near him yesterday in Empire between storms and he only got a pair of drum fish. Today was to be a tuna day hopefully. There was no live bait to be found so we resorted to chunking. We hit 3 rigs with no luck. When we got to Elf Capt. Eddie of Fishvenice.com was already there and had 6 yellows on his first drift then the bite stopped and the sharks moved in. After having enough of that and the seas building as predicted we moved to another rig before opting to move into state waters for some snapper. On the way in we hit a deep rig for amberjack but could not get them out of the structure. We did find 5 nice vermillion snapper, Mimgos in Florida. In state waters we started fishing for some meat.

This turned out to be our trip saver. It was not long before we had a box full and our limit.

As we started in we spun a prop so we had to come in with only 2 motors. Once in fresh water we were able to pick up speed and with some of us in front the boat was able to get on plane. Although no red meat we were able to fill the cooler with a good bunch of white meat.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

Nice report capt.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Nice meat haul capt.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427