SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,343
Default Need help changing water pump on Merc 150 EFI

I tried changing my water pump yesterday and ran into a problem. The spedometer tube is not long enough to drop the foot in order to get the shaft out of the housing. I tried unhooking the senser from the motor but it still did not give me enough slack. There is a splice that won't allow the tube to feed any further. Is there a tool to disconnect the splice or is there a trick to unscewing the spedometer tube from foot? I tried using a wrench on the foot but there is not enough room to get a good bite on it. A socket would be the way to go but I can't do that because the tube coming out of the fitting. Thanks for the help. I hope Montak is around.(Have picks on my I phone but have no clue on how to post them.)

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587

The tube is connected to the lower unit with a small quick connect type fitting most likely. If you drop the lower unit slightly you can reach in with your finger and press down on the top of the small compression type fitting and it will allow the rubber tube to pop out. The more difficult part is when you put it back on because you have to push down on the fitting again and put the tube in at the same time. It definitely helps to have and extra pair of hands, and it really doesn't hurt to have long skinny fingers.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Trophy Trout

One more thing....when you are putting the tube back into the fitting make sure that you insert the tube far enough for the fitting to grab it tightly after you let go of the fitting allwoing it to pop back out which will grab onto the tube. I hope you are able to understand this description.....
Old 08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Trophy Trout

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/show...er-replacement

I found something that should help you.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Tripletail

I am sure you are correct about the fitting but I am unfamiliar on how it operates. The fitting is in the shape of a dumbbell. I wish I could post a pic. The next problem is going to be threading it back through the bottom cowl. I am definately going to tie on a string to help retrieve it. The fitting is in the shape of a dumbbell. I wish I could post a pic.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the link it has some great info but doesn't look the same as my motor. The splice i am speaking of is inside the cowl of the engine. I maybe wrong but I would not doubt the dealer who changed it the last time messed the tubing up and had to splice it back together. I doubt Mercury would design the motor where you would have to unsplice and then fish the tube back through just to change the water pump.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Trophy Trout

I read your original post again. It seems that you are trying to slide the entire tube out of the motor. I helped a friend change is on the same motor a week ago and we did not have to do that. If you drop the foot of the motor an inch or two (the tube should stretch just enough for this) you can reach in with your hand to where the tube goes into the lower unit. After you do this follow the tube down to were it actually ataches (with the small quick connet fittig) into the lower unit. Then you can push down on the top of the fitting and by pushing down it will realease the small teeth that grip the tube to hold it. The tube should then be free from the lower unit and will be hanging a few inches out of the motor shaft. The lower unit should then be free to slide off of the shaft.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Tripletail

Tete,

PM me you e-mail address so I can forward you the pics. You maybe right because I never felt up the sensor tube. I just assumed it went straight up to the plug. But I did have it down a good bit. By unhooking the sensor from the motor I was able to drop it another 6-8 inches or so and I didn't see any other quick disconnect.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Tripletail

Default uploaded Pics

I was able to take pics with a camera this evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (88.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0139.jpg (85.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (84.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.jpg (89.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned

ttt
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 667

All I did on mine is cut the hose where it comes into the engine compartment. Than I put tiny vacuum hose for a splice, works great. I will tell you what size I used tomorrow when I get to the shop.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

It should come off the black plastic nipple on the lower unit. If need be, you can cut the end of the hose enough to get it off the nipple. Then cut the line flat at the end and re-attach to the nipple when done.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Tripletail

Jay please post the size hose tomorrow if you get a chance. I will try that first and if that doesn't work I will give Ryan's idea a shot. The only spedometer on my boat has Garmin printed on the front. So I am not too concerned if the pick up line works right. I just don't want to create another problem. What would happen if I just removed the line?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

The splice looks like a push/pull type connection. Try pushing on one side of the connections into the dumb bell looking thing. That should let go the hold that the ferrel has on the tubing. It looks like the same type fitting on the end in your hand, push in on the tubing and see if it will loosen up. Then keep your finger nail on the black ring to prevent it from tightening back up when you pull the tubing out of the fitting.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Trophy Trout

OK seriously man......please listen to what I am saying here because you have the exact same motor I changed the water pump on a couple weeks ago. In your 4th pic the speedometer tube goes into a small black and silver fitting which is located in the LOWER UNIT. Push down on the black portion of the fitting and at the same time you will be able to pull the hose out. This little fitting grips the speedometer tube when it is in the state it is in now. However, by pushing on the black plastic portion (PUSH DOWN) it will release the grip it has on the speedometer tube and you can remove the entire lower unit at that point. To put it back on you have to insert the speedometer tube into the small fitting (while you are pushing down on the black plastic piece) and then let go once the tube is far enough in. This will cause the small teeth inside of the fitting to grab the tube again. This is what I have been trying to explain to you all along. lol.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ryan Rachunek View Post
It should come off the black plastic nipple on the lower unit. If need be, you can cut the end of the hose enough to get it off the nipple. Then cut the line flat at the end and re-attach to the nipple when done.
Ryan is exactly correct. This is the same thing I've been describing from the very beginning. There is no need to go through the trouble of cutting the hose. In your last message to me about you wanting to PM me you are still explaining that you are trying to disconnect the hose from the motor itself......SCRATCH THAT IDEA. It will only disconnect from the lower unit. If you do not figure this out today from my description I just sent you please PM me your info. I think your profile said you live in Lafayette. I do as well and I will come give you a hand this afternoon/evening. I hate to see you still having trouble with this.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Trophy Trout

I was able to use one of your pics to show you the piece I have been trying to describe to you. I hope this is more helpfull for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150 Merc.jpg (91.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Tripletail

I understand what you are saying now. I was trying to get a wrench in there to unscrew that particular fitting. In your earlier post I thought you were saying there was a quick disconnect up the hose. What I think confused me was the pics in the link you posted. Thanks everyone for all of your for the help especially Tete. I am going to give it a shot this evening. I will let you now the outcome.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tete Dur View Post
I was able to use one of your pics to show you the piece I have been trying to describe to you. I hope this is more helpfull for you.

I too was not understanding how to disconnect this tubing. There is a picture showing a hand and a small fitting....looks like a coupling. I was thinking that was what should be squeezed to take the tubing apart.

I have a 40 hp and it does not have this tubing. On my engine....the shift linkage has to be taken apart to drop the lower unit.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Tripletail

Default Got her done!

That was easy.... Once I knew what I was doing. Thanks again everyone for the help. Tete you're the man.