SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Bounce Truck A/C question

I have a 1996 Toyota 4 Runner. It has about 187,000 miles. I have been noticing that my A/C stops blowing cold air for a period of 1-2 minutes then returns to blowing cold again. When it blows cold it will freeze you out. I notice it does it around stop lights frequently but not exclusively.

Anyone know what my problem may be and how to fix?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

Sounds like it is low, have you checked the pressure? Start with that, if the pressure is good I would look at the low pressure switch.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Just a guess...... but it could be the cooling coils are dirty. When you are driving, the air cools enough to keep it running, but when stopped..... no cooling.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:26 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 628

Sounds like either a pressure switch or dirty condenser coil. I would try to spray and clean condenser coil. Seems like the head pressure is climbing when car is stopped because of insufficient airflow. Then when you drive again you are forcing air across coil.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 AM
Flounder

Cash: 716

I had the same issue with an 87 Toyota Truck. One way to test the dirty condenser theory is to leave it idleing at home and put a box fan blowing through the grill. If it cools off it could be one of two things. Either the condenser is dirty or the fan clutch Is week. Too test the fan clutch try stopping the fan with your hand when the motor is at normal running temp. The blades are plastic and will not hurt you. If you can stop the fan by hand your fan clutch is bad and not pulling enough air through the condenser when stopped this will cause the head pressure to rise and your AC will stop cooling.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Can you jumper across the low pressure switch? If so then try it. Also, put a set of gauges on it and see if you are actually low and charge it if needed
Old 09-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

mine does the same thing on my 2001 chevy Silverado.
if you find a good ac man, please post up where he is. I haven't a clue where to take mine.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Boy View Post
I had the same issue with an 87 Toyota Truck. One way to test the dirty condenser theory is to leave it idleing at home and put a box fan blowing through the grill. If it cools off it could be one of two things. Either the condenser is dirty or the fan clutch Is week. Too test the fan clutch try stopping the fan with your hand when the motor is at normal running temp. The blades are plastic and will not hurt you. If you can stop the fan by hand your fan clutch is bad and not pulling enough air through the condenser when stopped this will cause the head pressure to rise and your AC will stop cooling.
Yeah if the fan clutch isn't bad and locks up like it should it will hurt you bad. Never grab a fan. Ever. Vicus fan clutches. They are filled with viscus grease. It's soft and slips when cold.
When it warms up enough it gets hard and grabs fast. Don't put your hand in a fan. Please.