SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 774
Default Yucatan

Anybody fish in Yucatan lake?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Yes yes Its a great lake to fish, when you hear the fish are biting you are two weeks to late. Watch the Vicksburg reading for MS River. Most people will not even go til it hits around 18 feet and falling. Don't waste your time if its rising, watch the gauge and look up north for Memphis as well if its falling up there it will be falling there in the next day or so. I have caught fish at 26.1 but if you see it at 21 and fallling anytime between April and July just go don't call or ask for a report just go!For crappie, ehen its 21 to 18 fish around the camps, they have boat docks that are under the water fish right around them at whatever depth hthey are at. If its 18 to 13 fish the far west end of the lake in the willow trees, there is a chute that runs out into the MS River and when it gets below 11 the river does not get in there and the fishing slows WAY down.

If you want bream just hit the willow trees and find the depth they are holding, and you will catch the biggest bream you have ever seen. Caught many over a lb there.

If you aren't catching much, bring some catfish gear and fish that chute I mentioned or go on out to the river there is a wind dyke with rocks right there at the mouth and put a shad or skipjack on the bottom and you will catch.

Also, if you see any type of schooling activity taking place, its white bass (barfish), you can fill a boat with em when you find em. Caught tons of em right in front of the boat ramp, and they will school up around that wing dyke also.

If you really aren't catching anything and get desperate, go to the far west end around the willows and there will be thousands of gar right on top of the water to play with. Beware the asian carp jumping also! They have really gotten in that water body
Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck butter View Post
yes yes its a great lake to fish, when you hear the fish are biting you are two weeks to late. Watch the vicksburg reading for ms river. Most people will not even go til it hits around 18 feet and falling. Don't waste your time if its rising, watch the gauge and look up north for memphis as well if its falling up there it will be falling there in the next day or so. I have caught fish at 26.1 but if you see it at 21 and fallling anytime between april and july just go don't call or ask for a report just go!for crappie, ehen its 21 to 18 fish around the camps, they have boat docks that are under the water fish right around them at whatever depth hthey are at. If its 18 to 13 fish the far west end of the lake in the willow trees, there is a chute that runs out into the ms river and when it gets below 11 the river does not get in there and the fishing slows way down.

If you want bream just hit the willow trees and find the depth they are holding, and you will catch the biggest bream you have ever seen. Caught many over a lb there.

If you aren't catching much, bring some catfish gear and fish that chute i mentioned or go on out to the river there is a wind dyke with rocks right there at the mouth and put a shad or skipjack on the bottom and you will catch.

Also, if you see any type of schooling activity taking place, its white bass (barfish), you can fill a boat with em when you find em. Caught tons of em right in front of the boat ramp, and they will school up around that wing dyke also.

If you really aren't catching anything and get desperate, go to the far west end around the willows and there will be thousands of gar right on top of the water to play with. Beware the asian carp jumping also! They have really gotten in that water body

great advice!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Ling

One more thing I don't bass fish so can't help you there catch plenty while crappie fishing, BUT if you really really really ain't catching anything throw a few rat-l traps out behind the boat and troll (with the big motor) as slow as you can go along the edges of the willow trees and you will catch something, may be gar, crappie, white bass, bass, but have seen some big stripers come out like that

One more thing, if for some reason you decide to leave that lake, you have no fish, then pack up and head to Lake Bruin and fish around the cypress trees for bream, should be able to catch all the bream and chinquapin you want. People that live there or fish there only worry about bass and its full of bream
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Redfish

Sweet! Thanks for the help brother!! That is alot of info. We're Heading out there next weekend. I think the river should still be falling even though it will still be kinda high.

Last edited by popawillieq; 04-17-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 743

Both yucatan and bruin have excellent fishing. my grandma lived on bruin. If you have time to night fish on bruin, you would probably do well for bass and catfish. There are some giant cats in bruin.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by popawillieq View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the help brother!! That is alot of info. We're Heading out there next weekend. I think the river should still be falling even though it will still be kinda high.
Easter weekend was awesome on Yucatan, last weekend a little slow, but you may hit it just right next weekend. Bring tackle to catch everything. Good luck if you go. Giant bream there and up the river on Palmyra Lake depending on water level!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Ling

Also, it costs money to launch there = $5
Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Redfish

A guy that lives up there was telling us about palmaya an he had a ice chest full of nice sized bream. Again I appreciate the info!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Redfish

Is there any other launches other then the Yucatan landing? An any bait shops close by? We will be coming from tensas.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Ling

Quote:
Is there any other launches other then the Yucatan landing? An any bait shops close by? We will be coming from tensas.
There is Davis Landing (I think it may be closed though), and the other is Suprlus City Landing.

Maybe someone else can help you on the bait store coming from Tensas. We usually bring ours from Monroe. Are you coming from Tensas NWR? There is a store near Lake Bruin that has shiners and all that stuff plus an excellent hamburger called Lake Bruin Grocery. I am sure there has to be something in Newellton, but I am not aware of it.

Also, you can boat from Yucatan to Palmyra via the MS River, its a cool little ride, but depends on water depth and be careful as there are lots of barges and big trees out there.

1.When you get up there you are no longer in 'Catholic country', you will be in the heart of baptist land, so you can't buy beer everywhere on Sundays just FYI
2. You have no reason to go into Newellton at night, try and avoid that if possible and
3. Try and stay away from the Hwy 4 bar! It may even be closed down now!

Last edited by Duck Butter; 04-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Ling

Here are the 2 landings - Davis Landing is what we always used just because we always fished on that end. It may not be open though. That is the son of our former Governor Jimmy Davis who wrote 'You Are My Sunshine'. His son doesn't have many accomplishments but I will not go there.

The other is the store, its not too far off track

The other pic is the chute that runs out the lake into the MS River, its a cool ride thru there, but go slow there is always a big tree down, its a good place to get in the shade and just tightline for catfish in the middle of the day if you don't want to go out into the MS and fish at the rocks there. Palmyra is about 7 or 8 miles north once you get in the MS River. Palmyra is just the waterway that makes Davis Island an island, cool to explore in there too and if you find a treetop down out the current it might be worth trying

The camps are just south of the landing, the docks will be underwater probably but they come WAY out, and if you can find them you can catch crappie there but you will not be the only one there. Where I labeled 'willows' will be good from 19-15 feet, they are small willows that are probably just under the water right now and you will get hung up in there but its got some big fish in there. The large willows near there will have slack water and always amazed me how many gar were in there, but never caught any crappie in there.

The river is at 19 in Vicksburg right now and as long as it does not get below 13 you can get out easily into the river as long as there isn't a log jam and if you even care to get out there, the lake is plenty big enough to explore all day.

The willows opposite the landing can be good you just have to find one that is falling in the water and sometimes you can sit on just one and pull out numerous fish. Also, they may still be spawning so don't be afraid to fish real shallow up in the woods.

I may just have to go up there myself next weekend now! I need some Yucatan in my life, but dang that place is 2 hours from Monroe and MUCH farther from Youngsville!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LakeBruinGrocery.jpg (88.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Landings.jpg (94.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Chute.jpg (88.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Redfish

Yeah we got a camp in whilhite camp ground off of sharkey. We always bring plenty beer that's a guarantee. The camp is about 20 min ride of of hwy 65 an just another 35 or 40 min an will be at Yucatan landing. Thank you so much!!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Ling

Quote:
Yeah we got a camp in whilhite camp ground off of sharkey. We always bring plenty beer that's a guarantee. The camp is about 20 min ride of of hwy 65 an just another 35 or 40 min an will be at Yucatan landing. Thank you so much!!
You are in the true sportsmans paradise right there. Those little lakes in the refuge are full of big bream also

I may just see y'all out there!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Redfish

Well we'll be up there around the 28th an 29th an with all the help you've givin it's makin out to be a blast already! if you are out there me might run into each other! I mainly catfish but the ppl ill have with me will catch anything!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Redfish

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334774530.130926.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
You are in the true sportsmans paradise right there. Those little lakes in the refuge are full of big bream also

I may just see y'all out there!
The only thing about the refuge is the 10hp limit an the water is real low. We went in the tensas river an scooped up a few cats there for turkey season. I just don't like those federal rules. I'm always scared im gunna do something wrong!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 703

In March of 2010 I posted on this site regarding Yucatan landing. As a young man, I spent many days fishing out of Yucatan in the late 50's and 60's. Spent a summer in Natchez with my Uncle constructing a floating fishing barge complete with storage room and head. Ended up being launched and in use for several years. White Perch never knew what hit'em. Set many trotlines over the years as well with great success. Glad to hear that Yucatan remains a hidden honey-hole!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Redfish

Well duck butter if you wanna meet up you can pm me an ill give u my number or just look for the slime slinger. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334878555.688731.jpg
Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Ling

Quote:
Well duck butter if you wanna meet up you can pm me an ill give u my number or just look for the slime slinger. Attachment 33510
Nice boat

That chute is a good place to catch some eating size cats, but if you go on out and anchor backside of the wing dykes you can get into some much bigger fish. I have never tried in the lake itself for catfish, there are too many other better eating fish to catch there! Kidding, I like those catfish
Old 04-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Redfish

10-4 hope to see u out there!