SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Don't agree with it, but I am sure the reason is that these waterways drain all flood waters in the area and debris slows down that drainage.
Then they close the locks so Lake Charles won't flood. Stupid!
Old 07-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Then they close the locks so Lake Charles won't flood. Stupid!
Got's to remember we talking Corps of Engineers here.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

I don't know Chief... We run that route in the dark every weekend and its as wide open as all get-out... You would have to run waaaaaay past Stackpole to hit anything that would slow-da-flow ...

Just doesn't add up

Hydro
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Can anyone post some picture of what they are doing?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Are they past stack pole? That's all I'm concerned with.. If ya can't run it don't go. That's the motto.

And there is no way they will be able to pull every tree top on Houston and westfork. They will be here longer than a week I assure you. I plan to run up and check it out, and ill be able to see what the westfork turns out to be.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Great White

As far as the comment on the river coming back, that's one true statement. It was a little slow for dogfight weights, but I have caught more solid fish 3+ this year than I have in awhile. More people catching 3-4 lbers Aswell.
Wednesday my partner and I had one tip right at 4.

Need a new partner for dogfights though. Last one for my old partner was Wednesday. Had to move.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Does anyone have any actual info on this? Not an opinion of why, but actual facts as to why this is being performed and not a my brother in-law, uncle, auntie, neighbor talked to so and so,etc
There was a similar topic on crappie.com about some other waterway in SW LA where treetops and debris were being removed and never heard an actual explanation just assumptions
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Flounder

Cash: 613

Anyone know who I can call about this? Many of you know I am a writer, and I want to get to the bottom of this. It's a scenic river and I just can't understand why in the hell they are taking away the best bass and crappie habitat in that river. I have a camp in Indian Village too so this is personal ss well. Even if they're dredging the river there, we have never flooded in 30-plus years! Is it the Corps???? State??? Who is doing this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,315

I would bet it is the Corps but I guess it could be Calcasieu Parish. The Parish number is 337-721-3500. I would check with Engineering 337-721-3700

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckmeister View Post
Anyone know who I can call about this? Many of you know I am a writer, and I want to get to the bottom of this. It's a scenic river and I just can't understand why in the hell they are taking away the best bass and crappie habitat in that river. I have a camp in Indian Village too so this is personal ss well. Even if they're dredging the river there, we have never flooded in 30-plus years! Is it the Corps???? State??? Who is doing this?

Here is the thread from last month about the same thing from a different body of water, still never got a definitive answer if it was actually from FEMA or what, but here are a few more 'answers'

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/louis...ns-bayous.html

one thing that is of interest is if it does fall into the LDWF Scenic Rivers, there may be something that can be done about it
Old 07-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Flounder

Thanks jchief, they said the Coast Guard! So now I have a call out to the Coast Guard. I hope I get some answers, but from what I am hearing on the phone . . that is doubtful. I have a few theories running thru my head . . . But I need some quotes from one of the agencies.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 629

they need Shelby over there, he'll pull dem longs. HERE WE GO!!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Great White

The coast guard hasn't been on the river, nor painted any trees. Been awhile since I've even seen the coast guard.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Flounder

Hah..hahhhhh...Now I'm on my fifth phone call...still yet to be determined as to why. CPPJ says Coast Guard... Coast Guard says it "may" be them . . . and now they're checking. This better not last to the morning because I will def. be fishing and not answering the phone.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Flounder

Found out more info.
If it is the feds, there's not too much we can do but play politics in DC. The Supremacy clause of the original US constitution basically can be interpreted as Louisiana cannot make a law contrary to US law. Therefore, if the timber cutting/dredging has been authorized by congress at some time, the state scenic rivers act does not apply since federal law reigns supreme over state laws that are contrary. Now this "Supremacy Clause" is in the original US constitution, it's not an amendment. So all this talk about "states rights" is malarkey.
Anyway, still no real answer or telephone call as of now.

Last edited by Speckmeister; 07-22-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,541

I went by today and saw two guys wearing USCG jump suits and driving a USCG vessel. So that may be a clue! I might understand if they were pulling standing logs from the main river but not laydowns. I did talk to some guys coming in and they said the tree tops they used to fish were being pulled up in front of their eyes north of the highline ditch!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckmeister View Post
Found out more info.
If it is the feds, there's not too much we can do but play politics in DC. The Supremacy clause of the original US constitution basically can be interpreted as Louisiana cannot make a law contrary to US law. Therefore, if the timber cutting/dredging has been authorized by congress at some time, the state scenic rivers act does not apply since federal law reigns supreme over state laws that are contrary. Now this "Supremacy Clause" is in the original US constitution, it's not an amendment. So all this talk about "states rights" is malarkey.
Anyway, still no real answer or telephone call as of now.

IF this is part of the debris removal stemming from Hurrican Rita, a nice article could be written about how it took 8 years to finally get around to it, and how its really not needed now

and IF you ever get a definitive answer instead of just getting yanked around and going in circles, I bet this has something to do with stimulus money
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Great White

Where will they hold the little
Burn center at for the Westfork and Houston river?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEACEKEEPER View Post
I went by today and saw two guys wearing USCG jump suits and driving a USCG vessel. So that may be a clue! I might understand if they were pulling standing logs from the main river but not laydowns. I did talk to some guys coming in and they said the tree tops they used to fish were being pulled up in front of their eyes north of the highline ditch!

Pictures.....Pictures.......

Please!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEACEKEEPER View Post

Man, this blows ...

I was told today that the landowner just to the South of the launch was clearing property to put some rental cabins in ... This had nothing to do with the park according to CPPJ and wasn't related to the tree top clearing, which was contracted/managed by the Coast Guard ...

Who knows ... Strange things goin' on out there...