SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion > Offshore Fishing Reports

Offshore Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite offshore spots here

Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Done deal

Today was the last day of La. red snapper season in state waters. Bridge painter one from THT just got a new to him 33 Hydra Sport with trip 250's named the Deal Maker. Some changes have been made with a big above deck insulated fish box and a very large live well giving it a more fishable pleasure craft. The trip was a shake down cruise and targeting red snapper for a final state water snapper day.

Thank You La. wildlife management and all the agents that did our dock surveys every weekend!!!!!!!

The day started out picture perfect. We got an early start and I was figuring an easy day. Our first place had the current rushing so fast my 20 and 24 weights went out straight. I was forced to run away to another area looking for less current. As the morning went on our dreams of a good day started to turn into nightmares. I was running out of options. The only good part of the morning was 2 large white trout and 4 bull croaker. These croaker were the biggest I have seen in the 10 years I have fished down here. I went to a rig that I was thinking of all day but due to the draft of the boat the only way I could get there was to run around the shore line from south pass. Being that far up I was thinking going back into Bapuste Collette. Once there we had 7 or 8 sharks under the boat before I could tie up. Our day was going like this.

I headed back to where we had the trout and croaker. Noon time and no red snapper. We had been fishing since before 7:30. The customers were questioning my wisdom and I was wondering what I was doing wrong or even being out there.

This time things changed and the old man hooks up to a RED SNAPPER.

It is only the first one and I commented on the bite starting. A comment was made back we only had 2 and had a long way to limit out. In short notice everybody was taking well deserved breaks as the fish fighting was on. I was busy rigging lines as these fish were getting these guys into the rigs very quickly and breaking off.

By 1:30 we had a 6 man limit of very good size red snapper. Was I ever thankful I decided to double back. We had a good box of fish finally. We attempted to drop right there for amberjack before heading to the barn and I wound up venting and releasing 2 red snapper so we called it quits.

The "Deal Maker" made La. state waters red snapper season a "Done Deal". I mentioned to Nick that I had a cancelation for the 12th and he told me I was fishing that day. Nice way to keep the books full.

Here is another shot of our fish to show you The size of the 4 croaker and 2 white trout.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

That's some huge white trout!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Those are some giant croakers!!! You didn't weigh the big one? Might have gotten in the top 10
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Tripletail

The top ten is always an after thought. Caught a 34.6 blackfin once and never even thought of registering it. The croakers looked more like redfish they were so big. Both the white trout and croakers were amongst the biggest I have ever gotten. As far as the size goes the biggest trout and croaker were longer than the shortest red snapper we kept.

It was a trip to remember.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Nice fish esp. the croaks
Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,322

That is some big croakers!!!!!!!! Nice job Capt.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

those croaker are freaking huge
Old 10-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Forgive my ignorance Capt. but what the heck kinda fish is that in the second pic? I have never had a chartered trip before but when I do I don't think i'll be doubting my Capt. no matter what. If it was easy it would be called catching instead of being called fishing. The way I see it a man doesn't have a boat and a business because he doesn't know where the fish are. Glad it ended up being a good day for you Capt.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Tripletail

I call it a mother in law fish. Ugly and good for nothing. Actually it is a toad fish. other names are oyster fish, dogfish, mudfish. Do not let one of them get their mouth on you. Very powerful jaws.