SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002
Default Processing a deer

How many of you process your own deer? I just done my first today. wasn't that bad. I feel like when i did it my self the meat was alot cleaner. I have found that processors don't take the time to remove hair and bone fragments. I vacumed sealed all of it. My next investment will be a grinder. Any suggestions on brands and sizes. i want one that is big enough to do sausage just in case i ever get brave enough to try that
Old 10-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i do my own also... hogs also... got the saws (sawsall) and processor and packaging for 2lb grinding meat...
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default grinders

cabellas and bass pro both sell quality grinders and stuffers.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM
King Mackeral

do yall make yalls own sausage?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

Cabalas sells grinder/sausage combo machines also.
I think you can get them cheaper online or at a discount store.
Cabelas and Bass Pro can be pretty high when buying their brands.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 600

I have the #5 for the house. No real complaints other than you can bog it down if you load it to fast. Works just fine for what little grinding I do around the house. We use a #32 when we make sausage but that usually 500-700lbs at a time. I think it will grind a Volkswagen if you could slide it down the throat.

A #12 would be a good choice if you want to get into sausage making. Easy on the wallet and more than adequate for grinding a deer.

Grinders
Old 11-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

Home > All Categories > Food Processing > Grinders > Item# 168620 Recently Viewed Recently Viewed Products Northern Industrial #12 Electric Meat Grinder Item# 168620 Recently Viewed CategoriesFood Processing Northern Industrial #12 Electric Meat GrinderOrder Today and Save $30Grinds 176 lbs. of meat per hour! Turns fowl, beef, vegetables and other foods into tasty meat loaf, sausage, sauces and more. 110V motor has on/off switch, plus reverse. Fine, medium and coarse plates, Kubbe and sausage stuffer attachments. 16in.L x 7 7/8in.W x 13 5/8in.H. This model now comes with round buttons. Overall Rating 4.8 / 5 Rating Summary (157 reviews) 5 stars 129 4 stars 21 3 stars 5 2 stars 1 1 star 1 152 of 157 would recommend this product to a friend. See all reviews below Write a review Share this Product: Item#:168620 Price:Was $129.99Sale $99.99 Guaranteed Lowest Prices Qty Stock Status:In Stock* Ship Weight:16.0 lbs Add to Wish List Print Page Email Product Top Accessories Product Manual I bought one of these about 4 years ago and have not been disappointed. it will grinda deer as fast as you can debone it. it does not get clogged with tendons or ligimets. My unit has ground up several deer. All I cut out is the back strap, everything else(meat) goes to the grinder. I also use it for boudin and gar balls. It does a great job and the price is good. Great grinder for home use. It has a reverse just incase you get it in a bind, but I haven't had to use that function. www.northerntool.com go to food processing then grinder. hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 894

I process everything myself.I have a grinder that we use for sausage and ground meat and everthing else is either back strap,tenderloins,stew meat,or roast.We mix our deer with hogs for the sausage.You dont have to spend alot of money to get a good grinder,check out cabelas or bass pro.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Adam

I've been out of town. Saw the picture of your nice buck. what's the story??
Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default Grinder

Just make sure that whatever grinder you buy has ,ALL METAL GEARS!
The ones that have plastic gears will not last . there are alot of cheap grinders that are out there and you will be disapointed in all of them.
Go to www.smokingmeatforums.com and check it out . There are folks there who process , cure , grind ,make their own sausage ,bacon , pastrami, and can answer any and all questions you have about the grinders and the process.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:43 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Adam

I've been out of town. Saw the picture of your nice buck. what's the story??

I killed that deer in Missouri 2 years ago on the last evening of the season... hit my grunt and his hair stood up and he charged me. He was 12 steps from me before i could even get my gun up. shot him in the chest at 12 steps.... Only time a grunt call ever worked for me but don't leave home without it now...