SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

I'm sure there are more people now, but I also know it's still possible to kill birds. All I'm saying is that there is nothing that is going to change. If you hate public land so much, don't go. I'm not going to sit here and agree that it's terrible, because there are plenty of good hunts coming off of public land.

Like I said previously, sooner or later the fad will end.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

I agree 100%. Lots of birds. Never got skunked and most of the time had 2-3 man limits. Just not as enjoyable on most hunts as it should be. That's why I seldom go anymore.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,063

Only done the public land hunting 3-4 times in my life. Didn't smoke em but it was fun. Just a different atmosphere is what does it for me. Seeing the same thing day in and day out gets a little old. New scenery is what I enjoy. And company.

Well who wants to go this yr? I always enjoy new company. I wouldn't mind trying a few public land spots too. Holla and let's make a plan.

C GOODS that means you too podna. It's been to long. But your getting married in a few months. Can't wait to see you up on that altar brotha.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

IMO for the most part $$$ does not buy good hunting spots, I know this sounds cheesy but relationships and networking will open the door to good hunting that won't break the bank.

It's a matter on principle that most duck hunters don't have anymore; and that's paying too much money for a ****ty blind.

Stop spending $4,000+ on a garhole, if you look hard enough you can find a garhole for $1,000.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronHunter View Post
So......on average for the last 5 years would you say you have hunted ducks at our local refuges:

A. Less than 2 x season
B. 3-9 times
C. More than 10x
C. 0 times

Just cause your podnas are still killing a few birds public it doesn't mean that the quality of hunting has not gone downhill bigtime on the local refuges since you been guiding at millionaire countryclub. No offense met.
What do you suggest to fix any of that?
Do you think it's not possible to have better hunts on public land than people who are paying 5-10K per blind?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:00 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 673

That's not my point at all. I am not complaing about my hunting experiances at all. You just seem to be standing on your soapbox saying that people shouldn't whine about public hunting in Louisiana. I just wanted to point out that your opinion loses all credibility on the matter when you have hunted public ducks ZERO days for the last several seasons...probably since ole Phil been on the tube. Things are different out there. You'll find out when you gotta go back to poor boying it.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Red Snapper

I'm not standing on any soapbox, and I have been a few times. My point is that I really like to duck hunt, and if public land is my only option, then I'll hunt public land and do what I have to do.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

I'm fortunate to own a few pieces of property in the Cameron and creole areas as well as my fatherinlaw owning a bunch in the Klondike gueydan area if it wasn't for that I don't think I would ever hunt price of leases are ridiclious to kill a few birds a year.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 AM
Redfish

Cash: 669

We really have some great public land to hunt in LA. You just need to be willing to put in the driving time and learn where to hunt. Duck hunting is not about just tossing the decoys on opening morning. I put in time on the farm managing for waterfowl and learning the public facilities all year. I have never had a bad year of duck hunting because I give myself options when the ducks are not stacked up. It also helps that the wife is a fool about the ducks/geese and the dog trainer.

To the guys saying we need lower bag limits and less days, that is silly. I understand you want to drive folks out, but we have high populations of ducks and hunters. I would say that's a win. I much prefer have more folks hunting than more drug dealers. 90% of the fisherman I know have the best boats and equipment, but they can't catch a fish to save their life. The water is free and they fish in the best estuary on the planet. This example directly correlates with people's lack of success in duck hunting. They don't put in the time it takes to be successful and learn the craft. As far as the high cost of leases, it's supply and demand, get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2015, 05:59 AM
Trophy Trout

I good point. .

Only reason I could see why lowering the limits would help would be because there would be more ducks that would eat themselves out of house up north then have no choice but to fully migrate south.

Would this work? Have no clue. But it's a thought.

I agree there is plenty of ducks and duck numbers are up. But making them re learn to migrate south like they used to for food would be cool.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
We really have some great public land to hunt in LA. You just need to be willing to put in the driving time and learn where to hunt. Duck hunting is not about just tossing the decoys on opening morning. I put in time on the farm managing for waterfowl and learning the public facilities all year. I have never had a bad year of duck hunting because I give myself options when the ducks are not stacked up. It also helps that the wife is a fool about the ducks/geese and the dog trainer.

To the guys saying we need lower bag limits and less days, that is silly. I understand you want to drive folks out, but we have high populations of ducks and hunters. I would say that's a win. I much prefer have more folks hunting than more drug dealers. 90% of the fisherman I know have the best boats and equipment, but they can't catch a fish to save their life. The water is free and they fish in the best estuary on the planet. This example directly correlates with people's lack of success in duck hunting. They don't put in the time it takes to be successful and learn the craft. As far as the high cost of leases, it's supply and demand, get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lm@o because that's what I would do instead of duck hunt, start selling drugs.

This guy^^^^^^^
Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Lm@o because that's what I would do instead of duck hunt, start selling drugs.

This guy^^^^^^^
Im about to start selling drugs so I can afford to steal somebody's good lease
Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Im about to start selling drugs so I can afford to steal somebody's good lease
Duh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.4 KB, 146 views)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Duh
I have that same pistol. I must be gangster too.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Great White

Quote:
Duh
LMAO
Old 07-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Duh
Lol the "Struggles" of the duck hunting game iz for real.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronHunter View Post
That's not my point at all. I am not complaing about my hunting experiances at all. You just seem to be standing on your soapbox saying that people shouldn't whine about public hunting in Louisiana. I just wanted to point out that your opinion loses all credibility on the matter when you have hunted public ducks ZERO days for the last several seasons...probably since ole Phil been on the tube. Things are different out there. You'll find out when you gotta go back to poor boying it.
Just my opinion, but I didn't find that he was soap boxing.

Regardless of the number of days he spends on public grounds, I felt there was a lot of truth to what he said. I've hunted private lands in "prime duck hunting territory" and didn't see a duck. Then again, I've put in some leg work on WMAs and NWRs and had decent hunts. I know people that hunt nothing but public land, and do very well by putting in the extra time and effort.

I feel it's all about the amount of work you put in. If you go out to Sabine and go where it's easy to get to, chances are, you aren't going to see many ducks and you will see a lot of hunters. I choose not to do that.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not suggesting that you're lazy if you aren't killing on public land. I've killed in places one day, and gone back the next and there wasn't a duck around. That happens anywhere if it gets hunted enough.

The fact is, duck observations have gone down everywhere....if you believe what you read on forums. It's not just public lands. The difference between having a garhole lease and hunting a garhole on public land is you can move from the public land garhole. No where is perfect. It is what you make of it.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 AM
Trophy Trout

I may have that gold chain too.

Lol
Old 07-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Great White

Ive had some great hunts on public land in N LA and Arkansas. But I also chose to find a lease once I moved back down here 4 years ago because of the craziness. Ive never hunted public down here so I cant comment on it, but if you want to see crazy go hunt the timber up there
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Ive had some great hunts on public land in N LA and Arkansas. But I also chose to find a lease once I moved back down here 4 years ago because of the craziness. Ive never hunted public down here so I cant comment on it, but if you want to see crazy go hunt the timber up there
x2

You think the launch at Sabine is bad / dangerous. Sheeeeyiiit