Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424
Default Kayak Fatality on Lake Charles

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) -
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries identified the body of a missing kayaker as 24-year-old Zachary Collins of Silsbee, Texas. Officials say Collins was found dead at around 9:30 p.m. Saturday near Interstate 10 Beach in Lake Charles.

Officials say they received a report of a missing boater and began searching the area after they found an empty kayak on shore.

The kayak was found near I-10 beach and appeared to be intact.

Collin's family has been notified and the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries say the incident is still under investigation.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I hate to see this. Last year was a record low for boating fatalities in Louisiana. Ya'll be careful out there, wear your life jackets, and be mindful of your mortality.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I pass along there this past Friday and saw a couple people out in 4' of water.

Water temp is probably in the low 70's, so I bet it was cool.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:52 AM
Redfish

Cash: 810

The latest release he had launched at 5:30 the kayak was reported about 6:00 and he was recover at 9:30 not wearing a PFD.
Only 30 min on the water and he was gone. Everyone remember to wear your PFD especially if you are alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I feel for the family and friends of the guy who passed. But I want to put my Opinion out there. I have been kayak fishing for about 5 years now. NEVER EVER would I of even thought about kayaking at the CIVIC CENTER during contraband days with 300Plus boats on the water along with 20mph south winds. Especially in a Sit in kayak that he just purchased that day. Common sense goes a LONGGGGGG way..... I just don't understand his thought process.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:35 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Sad loss. Praying for the family.

I have a 14' pirogue that I take out on the bayous around prairieville. I will NOT take it on bigger waters with cigar boats and jet skies, and I definitely don't go out without a life jacket on. Never know when things can go wrong, and they can go wrong quick.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

One more thing to add to BassyakR is that guys in boats also need to pay attention to people in kayaks. I know that it's not always the responsibility of boaters but the best way I can compare this is cars/trucks vs motorcycles. ... it's always in everyone's best interest to be on their toes
Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
One more thing to add to BassyakR is that guys in boats also need to pay attention to people in kayaks. I know that it's not always the responsibility of boaters but the best way I can compare this is cars/trucks vs motorcycles. ... it's always in everyone's best interest to be on their toes
yes they do but you cant expect some drunk 50 year old in a mid life crisis to think about anything lol.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
When theres a chop on the water its hard to see them when you In a boat that sets low in the water like a small flat bottom. I've been as close as 75 yards before I've seen them. Traveling 45mph, 75 yards is too close. It's just something we all need to be mindful of out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

yea especially when they have all the right to be on the water as they choose.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

And kayakers don't exactly go out of their way to draw attention to themselves. Everyone's too cool to wear neon, or throw up a doobie flag I guess. Guys wearing neutral colors in a neutral color kayak are VERY hard to pick out of the surroundings in a marsh or bay at certain times of day.

I'm always looking for them, and they still pop up out of now where sometimes because of the reasons above.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Ling

I have a 4ft tall light pole on mine with NEON colored flags.... plus Neon colored paddles.... And since im so SL4L I always wear a bright colored super awesome fishing shirt.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
I have a 4ft tall light pole on mine with NEON colored flags.... plus Neon colored paddles.... And since im so SL4L I always wear a bright colored super awesome fishing shirt.

Lol, I should have said "most kayakers"!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Ling

Now one thing I don't do that I probably should is wear a PFD... they are way too uncomfortable.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Get an inflatable. I don't fish from a kayak but if I did there's no way I'd go without one.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Sorry to hear this. Prayers to the family.
t
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
When theres a chop on the water its hard to see them when you In a boat that sets low in the water like a small flat bottom. I've been as close as 75 yards before I've seen them. Traveling 45mph, 75 yards is too close. It's just something we all need to be mindful of out there.

A lot of guys mount flags for that purpose some areas it's required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Redfish

Cash: 832

Never trust that everyone else is looking out for you. Got dark one evening coming back from fishing around the island in Prien. Pen light in a water bottle tied to the end of a 4 ft piece of roseau down the back of my shirt. If I hadn't done that I woulda been plowed over by someone coming back in. I hate to hear of a loss out there..
Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Ling

90% if the places I kayak fish are waist deep..... so ill take my chances with a PFD... I can swim or hand on to my kayak... Only thing that could (knock) me out would be a boat hitting me... then I have more issues to worry about.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
90% if the places I kayak fish are waist deep..... so ill take my chances with a PFD... I can swim or hand on to my kayak... Only thing that could (knock) me out would be a boat hitting me... then I have more issues to worry about.
Younger guys tend to see themselves as invincible and this contributes to the level of risk. Younger guys also tend to assume that only one thing will go wrong at a time, when the reality is that multiple unforeseen events contribute to most fatal accidents.

Wind and current conditions can put the kayak in deeper water, separate the angler from the yak, and considerably complicate swimming to safety. Lots of factors can contribute to diminished swimming ability other than getting hit by another boat including heart attack, ischemic stroke, heat stroke, dehydration, exhaustion, entanglement in fishing line or anchor line, current conditions, insect or jellyfish sting, clothing, injury, allergy, etc.

I fish mostly in a 16 ft V hull aluminum boat and occasionally in 20-21 ft bay boats. I always wear a PFD, because I want to be prepared for the day everything goes wrong, not just the day when the only thing wrong is that I'm in the water. The common factor in fatal accidents is that the deceased left the dock fairly certain they were not going to die that day. My cognizance of my mortality combined with my desire not to die young in an avoidable boating accident make me more careful. Review of boating accidents also shows that the three biggest contributors to fatal accidents on the water are (in order) failure to wear PFDs, excessive speed, and underestimating conditions/overestimating capabilities.