SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

John Houser from Alabama identified as the shooter. Apparently has been staying at a Motel in Lafayette since early July.

Motive on this one is going to be interesting. Why choose a target so far away from home?
Old 07-24-2015, 07:50 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggoh View Post
I'm all for CC and I know it can save lives... but keep this mind...

In this instance the guy stood up 20 minutes into the movie and shot the 2 people sitting directly in front of him... BOTH of those people COULD have been carrying and it wouldn't have mattered. Just because you CC doesn't mean you won't become a victim.

I wish the people sitting directly behind him were carrying... this might have ended sooner with less tragedy... Prayers to all the victims and their families.

I just don't understand how anyone could do something like this... it's a sad world sometimes.
True that having a gun is no garuntee but I damn sure like my odds a lot better versus not having one.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 564

I'm not getting caught up in the guns/no guns debate. Just want to say - I'm not a huge fan of the police but it seems like Lafayette police are doing a good job on this one and covering all of the bases. I heard that first responders and civilians were running towards the gunshots to help. These people are HEROES! Also, I heard many times on the news the words "prayer" & "God". Hearing this makes me proud to be from Louisiana. My prayers go out to victims and families.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
You DO know that it's ok if you don't have an extreme point of view about EVERY SINGLE topic right?
Upholding the Constitution of the US and the Constitution of LA is not an extreme viewpoint.

Treating people as subjects rather than citizens and denying them the right to self-defense is an extreme viewpoint.

It is simply wisdom to stand at the scene where drinking and driving has caused the senseless loss of life and point out the obvious folly of drinking and driving.

It is simply wisdom to do the same when mandatory disarming of citizens has contributed to the senseless loss of life.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
John Houser from Alabama identified as the shooter. Apparently has been staying at a Motel in Lafayette since early July.

Motive on this one is going to be interesting. Why choose a target so far away from home?
crazy is crazy, he may have just shot them for talking through the movie and refusing to shut up I've seen many fights over stupid stuff so if he is disturbed mentally and something set him off, it could be something as simple as that, or just pure randomness, not sure how we would ever know unless he left a note explaining why he went shot somebody
Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Sailfish

MG is saying it's wise to point out that the disarming of good people leads to the uneeded lose of life of good people. Bad guys will be armed so we better be too.
It's not extreme it's just fact that has been proven time and time again.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Redfish

Cash: 901
FlagUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat-Red View Post
I'm not getting caught up in the guns/no guns debate. Just want to say - I'm not a huge fan of the police but it seems like Lafayette police are doing a good job on this one and covering all of the bases. I heard that first responders and civilians were running towards the gunshots to help. These people are HEROES! Also, I heard many times on the news the words "prayer" & "God". Hearing this makes me proud to be from Louisiana. My prayers go out to victims and families.
I agree, this is a senseless act of violence. I thought that the authorities handled the situation and the explanations as to why it was important to withhold information and handle this in a timely manner exceptionally well. It seems that everyone involved did a great job and continues to work hard providing us information. I especially liked the Governor's comments commending the actions of all people involved and his call for prayer for the families and for our state and country.

It is well known among my friends that I am a fan of Phil Robertson the "Duck Commander". I agree with his comments on today's society. One comment that I like to repeat is his belief that we all need to forget about "Political Correctness" and get back to "Biblical Correctness". I am boldly saying that if this statement offends you, you may want to put your big boy pants on, go talk to a WWII veteran if you can find one and maybe take a hard look at what's going on around you.

Please pray for all involved and give them support without an agenda. Go to church, teach your children about God and protect yourself and your loved ones.

Duckaholic
Old 07-24-2015, 09:45 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

This A**HAT came from Alabama, right down I-10 and got off in Laf.........

Could have stopped off in BR, LC, could have come down I-20 and got off in Shreveport, this could realistically been YOU! Think about that next time your at the movies, or Chillis, or Wal mart, and just wonder.... how many of these people are loony and have a weapon on them

This is todays society unfortunate as it is.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by patque View Post
Guns/weapons should only be kept at home. No were else, period!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would seem everyone did, except the shooter
Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Sailfish

This ^^^^^^^. My extreme point of view.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
This A**HAT came from Alabama, right down I-10 and got off in Laf.........

Could have stopped off in BR, LC, could have come down I-20 and got off in Shreveport, this could realistically been YOU! Think about that next time your at the movies, or Chillis, or Wal mart, and just wonder.... how many of these people are loony and have a weapon on them

This is todays society unfortunate as it is.
I have to say I'm with Duckman and Marty on this one. There's a reason these shootings happen at predominately "gun-free" zones. The shooters are cowards and want the least amount of resistance. If you CC in a gun-free zone and are able to put an end to something like this more quickly than law enforcement can then more power to you. There isn't a jury in Lafayette that will convict you. Criminals will always find a way to get guns no matter what the laws state. That's a 100% truth people need to understand. I guarantee Houser's firearm was not legal. In fact it was reported by the AP that he was declined a handgun permit in Alabama in 2006. We have a right to protect ourselves and our family from these people. Let the other chips fall where they may.

**EDIT: I agree with the portion I responded to about what they said, but not all the comments made. Prayers sent to the victim's families and everyone involved in this horrible tragedy in our home town.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Red Snapper

Rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6, as well I have the mind set that if you saved lives by stopping someone in a gun free zone, it would be hard set for a jury to convict you. Ive been on a jury, I know Id give you a pass in that situation.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
Do you guys realize the the devil is upon us!! He is having a blast right now and getting people to do his dirty work. negative negative negative distraction distraction distraction.
If we don't come together as 1 people he will take over.

Good night folks. Gotta focus bc some a hole called wally world and said they coming to wally world. Nx peace out..

True statement Alpha...we do need to come together....however I feel that will never happen...I can only pray and wish.. for all of our childern...
Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Red Snapper

Facts are what they are. Movie theaters/churches/schools, where nearly 90% of mass shootings take place. Common denominator is "gun free zone"

Just an observation.

Note: Seems this shooters weapons where ill gotten, sooo Im willing to bet no gun law would have helped this situation
Old 07-24-2015, 11:44 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Bad guys will be armed so we better be too.
It's not extreme it's just fact that has been proven time and time again.
Prohibiting guns only takes them away from the good guys.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Prohibiting guns only takes them away from the good guys.
If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns
Old 07-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns
If you outlaw guns a bunch of us will consider ourselves outlaws
Old 07-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Sailfish

This needs to be an eye opening lesson for the Grand theatre that their anti good guy gun policies do not help protect their patrons. They get them killed. Our theatre is a Grand and I only go when the wife drags me there. I hate giving them my $ when they don't support my right to be alive.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 419

I think it's possible to agree with both sides of the issue. Everything is not always so cut and dry.

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment. It's true, disallowing guns keeps them out of the hands of good people. Problem is, even good people have bad days. Any single life taken, whether the gun was legal or not, is a tragedy.

Please don't blast me, as I know the statistics of gun violence point mostly toward the use of illegally acquired weapons. Also, I agree that everyone should be allowed to protect themselves and their loved ones, provided they aren't a complete nut job.

I think the real issue is gun control meets mental illness. It's a complicated issue to figure out how to keep guns out of the hands of these folks. They seem to get them anyway, so after they shoot a bunch of people, we shoot them. This is not a very good system. Even if they only kill one person, that's 2 people dead because of mental illness, or a crazy person, or evil, or the devil, or whatever else you'd like to call it.

My condolences to the victims and their family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
WOW , you really are a Fu**kin d ouchebag
I'm still laughing at this. Next post God Bless the victims and their families. He felt so bad for those people but had to take time to point out that I'm a Fu cking douchebag before saying God Bless the victims. That is hilarious.