SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default 4-16-18 Houston River

Got to Anthony Ferry launch just after daylight. Trying to find clean water to catch white perch. Not much better here than Calcasieu at old town bay. 8" vis about the best I found and seem to get worse up north . Water was 60-63. Was wanting to run a lot further than I did but water pump didn't seem right on old Suzuki so stayed close to launch. Caught 4 white perch, 3 google eye, and one big bream from 7-12! Tough fishing for sure! But I got to drown some shiners and get back on water after being off it for 4 months other than that one trip to Toledo early feb. I really think I could of caught as many in old town bay and may try that in am when I get off work. Depends if I sleep. Never fished houston river before. With all the tree tops down should be able to catch them when it clears up more I would think. Least I didn't scratch lol. Anyway no pics I had the fish in areator and released them back at launch good and alive. White perch were small anyway with largest 10" and other 3 closer to 8 probably I didn't measure them. Sure wish Calcasieu cleared up like it used to when all the farmers planted rice. Now they do crawfish all year. That's my thinking why it doesn't clear anymore anyway. Had a couple really good months last year though but previous two years never cleared up. May try bell city drain ditch soon as that is the only place I ever caught white perch in muddy water other than Toledo. Maybe bayou Lacassine or something. Somewhere I'm gonna find them! Hopefully better reports to come soon. Tight lines everyone!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Thanks for report. What about up north from white oak? Think it would be any cleaner?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 08:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228

Just looked at old town bay this evening and it's not even 3" vis! I doubt white oak is any better! Maybe north of white oak and if at all likely above serpent. I never fished much above white oak other than trout lines and jug lines for catfish. May start though. All my Calcasieu River fishing has been from watermelon bay to just south of white oak in Dans bay. The back of watermelon bay is always cleaner and I thought about trying that in am until I looked at old town bay this evening. Idk where to try. Dirt dobbers had the water pump hole plugged up on Suzuki and I got it cleaned out now. Since I didn't run far and mainly fished around Anthony Ferry launch I may try that again and run up north. I didn't even make it to that first plant or watever it is I could see the towers real close but didn't make it all the way there. Before putting back on trailer I went to rail road bridge and tried around that with no luck. I see u fish houston river all the time but looks like u mainly bass fish. Have u heard or seen anyone catching white perch in there or west fork? I read where another SC member did some good in there but looks like he went way up to 27 or further and have not seen any post from last couple few years. Kinda looks like he quit fishing up there after they went in there and removed all the tree tops but I'm just guessing I didn't actually see a post stating that. Also seems the ones he did catch were smaller 8"-10" fish. Last year on Calcasieu when I first started in sept I kept the smaller ones but finally figured out the bigger fish and 10" was the min I would keep . Mostly caught 11"-14" fish with quite a few 15" and up to 16". The water clarity in there was about the worse I would even try for white perch. When I first started last year on Calcasieu visibility was about the same 8" or so. But once I could see my trolling motor it was on just does not happen very often anymore on Calcasieu. I guess I'll give it one more shot on houston river since the wind is suppose to be bad and wouldn't want to fish any bigger water in that anyway. If no luck may try Bayou Lacassine or Bell City drain ditch . Anyway like I said I see that u fish houston river a lot what do u think about it?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM1971 View Post
Just looked at old town bay this evening and it's not even 3" vis! I doubt white oak is any better! Maybe north of white oak and if at all likely above serpent. I never fished much above white oak other than trout lines and jug lines for catfish. May start though. All my Calcasieu River fishing has been from watermelon bay to just south of white oak in Dans bay. The back of watermelon bay is always cleaner and I thought about trying that in am until I looked at old town bay this evening. Idk where to try. Dirt dobbers had the water pump hole plugged up on Suzuki and I got it cleaned out now. Since I didn't run far and mainly fished around Anthony Ferry launch I may try that again and run up north. I didn't even make it to that first plant or watever it is I could see the towers real close but didn't make it all the way there. Before putting back on trailer I went to rail road bridge and tried around that with no luck. I see u fish houston river all the time but looks like u mainly bass fish. Have u heard or seen anyone catching white perch in there or west fork? I read where another SC member did some good in there but looks like he went way up to 27 or further and have not seen any post from last couple few years. Kinda looks like he quit fishing up there after they went in there and removed all the tree tops but I'm just guessing I didn't actually see a post stating that. Also seems the ones he did catch were smaller 8"-10" fish. Last year on Calcasieu when I first started in sept I kept the smaller ones but finally figured out the bigger fish and 10" was the min I would keep . Mostly caught 11"-14" fish with quite a few 15" and up to 16". The water clarity in there was about the worse I would even try for white perch. When I first started last year on Calcasieu visibility was about the same 8" or so. But once I could see my trolling motor it was on just does not happen very often anymore on Calcasieu. I guess I'll give it one more shot on houston river since the wind is suppose to be bad and wouldn't want to fish any bigger water in that anyway. If no luck may try Bayou Lacassine or Bell City drain ditch . Anyway like I said I see that u fish houston river a lot what do u think about it?
Sorry I'm just replying. Been caught up in the political scene lol. Yes we catch some white perch on Houston river. Just before all this rain started several weeks back we caught a few. Haven't been back since the high water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk