SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Purple Back's Avatar
Purple Back Purple Back is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,692
Cash: 464
Default Workout Program?

Started working out again last March. My original goal was to be able to bench 315 about 5 times a set. Once I reached that goal I set a new one, I want to be able to do 315 10 times a set. But I have been stuck on anywhere between 8 to 9 reps.

I never played football so I do not have much experience in getting over this plateau that I have hit.

I know we got a lot of ex college football players and work out fanatics on this website. Do any of you guys have any advice?

It is important to know that I do not take any proteins or supplements, so those are out of the question. I also do not have a partner.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Mediumheavyaction6'6's Avatar
Mediumheavyaction6'6 Mediumheavyaction6'6 is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,295
Cash: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Back View Post
Started working out again last March. My original goal was to be able to bench 315 about 5 times a set. Once I reached that goal I set a new one, I want to be able to do 315 10 times a set. But I have been stuck on anywhere between 8 to 9 reps.

I never played football so I do not have much experience in getting over this plateau that I have hit.

I know we got a lot of ex college football players and work out fanatics on this website. Do any of you guys have any advice?

It is important to know that I do not take any proteins or supplements, so those are out of the question. I also do not have a partner.

Any advice?
I am not sure what your sexual orientation has to do with bench pressing?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:38 PM
"H"'s Avatar
"H" "H" is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 614
Cash: 730
Default

Medium I thought the same thing when I read it. Funny
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Purple Back's Avatar
Purple Back Purple Back is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,692
Cash: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediumheavyaction6'6 View Post
I am not sure what your sexual orientation has to do with bench pressing?
Guess I should make it clearer for the uneducated......."I do not have a spotter"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
speckinabox's Avatar
speckinabox speckinabox is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sulphur
Posts: 274
Cash: 385
Default

Go down in weight for a couple of days. You may have muscle fatigue. I find that mixing it up for a couple days gets me a little more stamina while lifting more weight than always going heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
bay_slayer's Avatar
bay_slayer bay_slayer is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Morgan City
Posts: 2,560
Cash: 593
Default

You should at least take protein at a minimum. I know you said it was out of the question, but you wanted advice.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Purple Back's Avatar
Purple Back Purple Back is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,692
Cash: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_slayer View Post
You should at least take protein at a minimum. I know you said it was out of the question, but you wanted advice.
Well the reason I say that is because it makes me gain so much weight.
But thanks for the advice...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Purple Back's Avatar
Purple Back Purple Back is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,692
Cash: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckinabox View Post
Go down in weight for a couple of days. You may have muscle fatigue. I find that mixing it up for a couple days gets me a little more stamina while lifting more weight than always going heavy.
Hey man what you been up too.

So you suggest doing sets of twenty or twenty five for a couple of weeks?
Then go back to heavy?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:10 PM
mikedatiger's Avatar
mikedatiger mikedatiger is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: "Far West" LA
Posts: 2,451
Cash: 2,304
Default

Ok, I probably don't look like it but I used to compete in bench press competitions in college. When we reached plateaus we would work out with negative sets for about a week. If you're not familiar with them - basically you need to get in a cage rack and use whatever weight you believe your max to be. You'll need at least 2 spotters (3 is better) and have your spotters give you the weight at full extension, with you controlling the weight as slowly as possible on the way down - repeating 3-5 times.

If that doesn't work, give it a rest for a week or two then go at it again.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM
meaux fishing's Avatar
meaux fishing meaux fishing is offline
fish name
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Meaux
Posts: 12,531
Cash: 22,293
Default

make sure you are giving your muscles adequate time to recuperate. That can cause a plateau too
__________________
Brookshire Farm 100% Grass Fed Beef
http://www.brookshirefarm.com/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Thanks, I'm just livin by the code: Paint face, Shoot Beretta's, Bounce the Hen.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM
speckinabox's Avatar
speckinabox speckinabox is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sulphur
Posts: 274
Cash: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Back View Post
Hey man what you been up too.

So you suggest doing sets of twenty or twenty five for a couple of weeks?
Then go back to heavy?

nothing but work man. Yea try that and see, it works with me whenever i get tired. That might be whats up you are just burnt out.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Purple Back's Avatar
Purple Back Purple Back is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,692
Cash: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
Ok, I probably don't look like it but I used to compete in bench press competitions in college. When we reached plateaus we would work out with negative sets for about a week. If you're not familiar with them - basically you need to get in a cage rack and use whatever weight you believe your max to be. You'll need at least 2 spotters (3 is better) and have your spotters give you the weight at full extension, with you controlling the weight as slowly as possible on the way down - repeating 3-5 times.

If that doesn't work, give it a rest for a week or two then go at it again.
Good advice
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Opinions_Vary's Avatar
Opinions_Vary Opinions_Vary is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Barre
Posts: 291
Cash: 539
Default

You must be huge. Doing 315 for reps of any amount is an accomplishment by itself. That being said I don't think anyone should be doing that much weight without a spotter it's just dangerous. However if you want to break a plateau you should do bench with dumbells for a few weeks as heavy as you can go and focus on negatives. You should also focus on heavy incline and decline bench for balance if you aren't doing it already.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Purple Back's Avatar
Purple Back Purple Back is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,692
Cash: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinions_Vary View Post
You must be huge. Doing 315 for reps of any amount is an accomplishment by itself. That being said I don't think anyone should be doing that much weight without a spotter it's just dangerous. However if you want to break a plateau you should do bench with dumbells for a few weeks as heavy as you can go and focus on negatives. You should also focus on heavy incline and decline bench for balance if you aren't doing it already.
I had problems with my shoulder because of heavy inclines.
Also my gym only has dumbbells up to 100 lbs so I am limited to just bench. I perform fly's with dumbbells, that's about it.

And I am not huge, 315 is not really an accomplishment, 400 is.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Opinions_Vary's Avatar
Opinions_Vary Opinions_Vary is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Barre
Posts: 291
Cash: 539
Default

Dude I'd bet 315 is more than 99% of the population can lift. If the dumbbells only go up to 100 then you should probably go up in weight on flat and do a few weeks of 1- 3 rep sets.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM
meaux fishing's Avatar
meaux fishing meaux fishing is offline
fish name
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Meaux
Posts: 12,531
Cash: 22,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinions_Vary View Post
Dude I'd bet 315 is more than 99% of the population can lift. If the dumbbells only go up to 100 then you should probably go up in weight on flat and do a few weeks of 1- 3 rep sets.
yeah 315 for 8 reps with no supplements is pretty damn good
__________________
Brookshire Farm 100% Grass Fed Beef
http://www.brookshirefarm.com/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Thanks, I'm just livin by the code: Paint face, Shoot Beretta's, Bounce the Hen.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
"H"'s Avatar
"H" "H" is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 614
Cash: 730
Default

"uneducated" Really?
Mediums comment and my response was just lite humor.
Nothing to it. Good luck reaching your goals.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM
mikedatiger's Avatar
mikedatiger mikedatiger is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: "Far West" LA
Posts: 2,451
Cash: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinions_Vary View Post
You must be huge. Doing 315 for reps of any amount is an accomplishment by itself. That being said I don't think anyone should be doing that much weight without a spotter it's just dangerous. However if you want to break a plateau you should do bench with dumbells for a few weeks as heavy as you can go and focus on negatives. You should also focus on heavy incline and decline bench for balance if you aren't doing it already.
Everyone has diff goals. Based on my experience dumbells are used for definition and the bar is used for strength. Balance is definitely critical and I agree fully on that - also including dips is key. Another item often overlooked are pushups at multiple angles as they are invaluable for strength building.

Rest goes a long way in strength building and is fundamental in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
PUREBAY2200's Avatar
PUREBAY2200 PUREBAY2200 is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OZ
Posts: 3,744
Cash: 1,836
Thumbs up Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
Ok, I probably don't look like it but I used to compete in bench press competitions in college. When we reached plateaus we would work out with negative sets for about a week. If you're not familiar with them - basically you need to get in a cage rack and use whatever weight you believe your max to be. You'll need at least 2 spotters (3 is better) and have your spotters give you the weight at full extension, with you controlling the weight as slowly as possible on the way down - repeating 3-5 times.

If that doesn't work, give it a rest for a week or two then go at it again.
X2.
We did negatives in college.... What a workout!! Def have u some spotters.
We did lock outs also..... Spotters lower the bar to Ur chest u push it up..... Bout 65-85% of max. 8-10 reps 3-4 sets. 2 x week for 2-3 weeks.
Also we used bands attached to the end of bar secured to floor for safety. And chains are also a safer option.
Maxing out is all about the preparation.... Meaning when u decide to max out don't waste reps getting warm or building up to Ur final attempt.
If Ur going for max reps.... Muscle endurance is it key!!
Work urself to fatigue with low weight 2 x week .... We would take 135 on bar and rep out at the end of the session..... Keep track of how many reps u get to each time.
My max in college was 395 on bench.... Took 5 years to get there. But I got it! Lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Artifishual's Avatar
Artifishual Artifishual is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Plaquemine Parish
Posts: 75
Cash: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "H" View Post
"uneducated" Really?
Mediums comment and my response was just lite humor.
Nothing to it. Good luck reaching your goals.

that's freakin hilarious
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map