SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
First off, knowing you are a scientist, I am amazed you would suggest citing Wikipedia in even a semi-scientific study.

Second, I don't believe it makes a difference in what we, as scientists, have to say, when it is obvious that the public thinks that they know what is best based on a fish population. Very few people here, in my opinion, based on what I have read, understand that that lake is far more than fish. That the marsh is far more than fish. Just because a Marsh is green does not mean it is healthy. I could explain all of this for the thousandth time on this board, and it would make no difference, because minds are made up. The weirs are bad. There is no changing that mindset when it is solely based on fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Smalls it sounds to me like you are saying that this is a hopeless endeavor, and that people who fish the lake just don't care. Well just wanted to give you a quick thank you for attempting to do the right thing and inform people that the marsh is far more than fish. I hope and trust we can continue to rely on folks like yourself doing the right things for the greater good of the whole marsh ecosystem.

I'm no scientist, (but i did stay at a holiday inn a few days ago) and i can say for certainty that any plan will always have those who will disagree with it. It's certainly understandable as well, No one wants their "sacred cows" to be the one's going to slaughter.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by AceArcher; 08-20-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Scientists and professionals should not tire or express frustrations when presented with opportunities to engage with the public. Public misperceptions exist because the experience of the general public is much different than the experiences of professionals, scientists, and policy makers.

Publishing papers and reports and hobnobbing with policy makers may impact the world of the common man, but does little to educate him regarding "why"? Many citizens are left wondering and speculating regarding the relative importance of money, influence, science, and power in shaping policy that effects them.

For every "W" who bothers to post and challenge for better answers, there are ten others reading the thread and possibly dozens of others who harbor similar sentiments without bothering much follow-up. The "new media" goes beyond Fox news, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity. It is played out on twitter, blogs, discussion forums, Wikipedia, etc. every day. And even on SaltyCajun.

The saltwater intrusion page at wikipedia is pretty good, but can be improved. Improving the Calcasieu Lake wikipedia page would be warmly welcomed, and could certainly have a section for the importance of the weirs in reducing saltwater intrusion into the marsh. Then in the future, you could simply cite that material.
This..... Solid science based conservation = good, Rumor mongering = Bad
Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Wiers or no wiers without flooding up north the marsh dies!! Math them wiers on the west side of biglake have been there for year's, not sure the last time they were open or closed but do know lastyear they all got fixed. And not saying the map/maps ya'll are showing are not right but if so my house is under water, and it's been there since 1878!!! Not the same house but the land.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Wiers or no wiers without flooding up north the marsh dies!! Math them wiers on the west side of biglake have been there for year's, not sure the last time they were open or closed but do know lastyear they all got fixed. And not saying the map/maps ya'll are showing are not right but if so my house is under water, and it's been there since 1878!!! Not the same house but the land.
What do you mean by flooding up north what stops the flooding oakdale floods all the time maybe saltwater barrier limiting flow or others such as man made canals diverting water but how would you fix that

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Red Snapper

I am talking in the mid west US.there is no sediment coming down the rivers to replace whats lost to erosion
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:

Your house sits in the red portion of that map?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Red Snapper

Brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Your house sits in the red portion of that map?
Yes, why?? If you don't believe it your more then welcome to drive up and have a cold soda or beer!! Be there the first of September.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Yes, why?? If you don't believe it your more then welcome to drive up and have a cold soda or beer!! Be there the first of September.
are you the one that has the camp on the south end of the lake?
Old 08-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Ling

Quote:

You don't want to point it out do you? I understand if you don't
Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Have a link to the maps that I can zoom in on and look closer at the roads?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Andy, check out this link to the map. After looking at it, you are not in the red.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/3164/downloads/SIM3164_Map.pdf
Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Have a link to the maps that I can zoom in on and look closer at the roads?
I think that was the misunderstanding, that map wasn't the highest quality so you had to zoom in

I just copied the map from MGs post
Old 08-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Red Snapper

No its the last house south of hackberry. When I get to the CPU I will check that other map out.