SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosska View Post
Do you see the anglers of the redfish cup, texas trout series, spectacular series, bass masters and flw tour throwing an anchor and soaking bait? NOPE! Why,
Its about the $$$$. Its not in the best interest of the Tourney to allow live/dead bait. They limit it to arti's to sell sponsorship products, test the anglers skill and create interest. The tourneys don't want to be handing out $$$$ to some no name who happened to get lucky soaking some dead shrimp. They lose sponsorships and fans that way.

Also I don't disagree with most of what you are saying but don't think for a second that the folks, maybe not all, fishing the above tournaments would not fish live bait if allowed to by the rules. They will go with what is catching the fish and gives them the best shot at the $$$$.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 951

I don't understand why all tournaments are not all catch and release. I wish they all were however if someone tells me I can use live bait and I know at least 50% of my competition are using live bait then so will I if necessary! I still think it takes alot of skill to catch an 8 pounder even with live bait but you still should use conservation and have catch and release tournaments.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 648

I guess my thoughts are that just because there are more less skilled anglers that choose to use live bait I do not want to throw something I have worked to learn and become aside to down grade and join the majority of less skilled. I understand that live bait will probably never be banned due to the fact that the entries will drop dramatically and the cash flow will suffer. My suggestion would be to have two different divisions in the tournament, Lures & Bait. Split the prizes down the middle and post the results separate. I think this may encourage some average fisherman to become better and strive to setup to the big league. They will be able to choose fishing against the majority and have the same chance or setup to test their skills and against fewer people. This way everyone is happy and the tournament is still profitable. I also agree with the weight penalty rather than the bonus. I think people will strive to keep a big trout alive knowing their 5lb trout will be posted as a 4.5lb versus the opportunity to get a bonus if the trout happens to stay alive.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,825

Quote:
I guess my thoughts are that just because there are more less skilled anglers that choose to use live bait I do not want to throw something I have worked to learn and become aside to down grade and join the majority of less skilled. I understand that live bait will probably never be banned due to the fact that the entries will drop dramatically and the cash flow will suffer. My suggestion would be to have two different divisions in the tournament, Lures & Bait. Split the prizes down the middle and post the results separate. I think this may encourage some average fisherman to become better and strive to setup to the big league. They will be able to choose fishing against the majority and have the same chance or setup to test their skills and against fewer people. This way everyone is happy and the tournament is still profitable. I also agree with the weight penalty rather than the bonus. I think people will strive to keep a big trout alive knowing their 5lb trout will be posted as a 4.5lb versus the opportunity to get a bonus if the trout happens to stay alive.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I'm not against live bait. I think to each his own but I really like your idea. Good post...
Old 06-21-2009, 08:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Ok so Guys...Deff Should Be Banned From Tourneys...no doubt..i do try to throw artificial as often as i can when not deck handing or fishing with customers..mah captain charter captain that is has to make a livin too..and sometimes artificial just dont get the job done guys..i mean its easy for yall to scream no live bait when yall fish in a place like big like (arguably the greatest trophy lake in the country..) but just from a breton sound platform fishing fisherman...artificial dont always get it done..im no uscg charter captain (yet)..so i only deck hand charters on weekends to make a lil extra cash to pay for gas in the boat during the week...but i do know and see what its like tryin to make a livin in this bizz when there is know live bait..especially when fishing in such a place like The B sound where many situations artificial is not an option..some times its not just croaker soaking..more than often its a croaker free lined getting workked much like a hybrind or H&H...not tryin to cause arguments here but just tryin to make the point that just because you fish live dont mean ur less of a fisherman...

BTW The Biggest Trout Ive Ever Caught Was Caught On A Hybrid Flurry Tipped With Shrimp..haha wats that make me?
Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

that makes you a cheater *****!!!!! all good , i think you made a great point. some guys make a living at this and live is the way ta go. i think tournaments are what the real beef is all about. yall do good in venice hustler? pm me with sum pics and a report. also which charter down there ya work for. goin in 2 weeks ta b sound. thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
It is beyond me how these doods can be labeled "Trout Masters" when they enter competition with live bait. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! What an accomplishment!!!! I would have much rather read W's life story than read about them. IMO, there are only two true "Trout Masters" in that book....Jeff Poe and, "The Master", himself, Will Drost. I know, for a fact, that there are others more deserving when it comes to ability. That's the worst $30 I've ever spent in my life.
Salty the best story was CHINK.....LMAO x 10.....He double up on croaker....
Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
It is beyond me how these doods can be labeled "Trout Masters" when they enter competition with live bait. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! What an accomplishment!!!! I would have much rather read W's life story than read about them. IMO, there are only two true "Trout Masters" in that book....Jeff Poe and, "The Master", himself, Will Drost. I know, for a fact, that there are others more deserving when it comes to ability. That's the worst $30 I've ever spent in my life.
you forgot trout master capt eric dumas. w's mentor :wo rk:
Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I want to be like "CHINK"....Soak two Croaker at a time and get a story about it.......
Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

i say just ban it from the tours or have a seperate division.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Ok so Guys...Deff Should Be Banned From Tourneys...no doubt..i do try to throw artificial as often as i can when not deck handing or fishing with customers..mah captain charter captain that is has to make a livin too..and sometimes artificial just dont get the job done guys..i mean its easy for yall to scream no live bait when yall fish in a place like big like (arguably the greatest trophy lake in the country..) but just from a breton sound platform fishing fisherman...artificial dont always get it done..im no uscg charter captain (yet)..so i only deck hand charters on weekends to make a lil extra cash to pay for gas in the boat during the week...but i do know and see what its like tryin to make a livin in this bizz when there is know live bait..especially when fishing in such a place like The B sound where many situations artificial is not an option..some times its not just croaker soaking..more than often its a croaker free lined getting workked much like a hybrind or H&H...not tryin to cause arguments here but just tryin to make the point that just because you fish live dont mean ur less of a fisherman...

BTW The Biggest Trout Ive Ever Caught Was Caught On A Hybrid Flurry Tipped With Shrimp..haha wats that make me?
Hopedale, I am not knocking anyone trying to put food on the table. Only those trying to compete. It is tough times right now for guides to try and make it. You have to adapt to what the customer wants in order to make it. Hell, even some of the best down in Baffin who have only booked artificial only trophy trout trips for years are now allowing bait chasing smaller fish, offering sightseeing tours and even allowing customers to bring gps's aboard to mark hotspots. You have to adapt to the times. I am talking about tournaments and competitions.

"Don't bring a gun to a knife fight"

Angler Translation
"Don't soak a croaker in a trout tournament"

Had to change that one up a little bit
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
At least you don't claim to be something you're not.....unlike others. Bruce and I thought you were a guide.
not quite yet..i still got a lil bit to learn..goin to USCG School in winter to get the liscense hopefully..dont plan on opening an official bussiness till im 21 in a couple years..
Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Hopedale, I am not knocking anyone trying to put food on the table. Only those trying to compete. It is tough times right now for guides to try and make it. You have to adapt to what the customer wants in order to make it. Hell, even some of the best down in Baffin who have only booked artificial only trophy trout trips for years are now allowing bait chasing smaller fish, offering sightseeing tours and even allowing customers to bring gps's aboard to mark hotspots. You have to adapt to the times. I am talking about tournaments and competitions.

"Don't bring a gun to a knife fight"

Angler Translation
"Don't soak a croaker in a trout tournament"

Had to change that one up a little bit
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

your right..no live bait when moneys involved...but it will never happen...u know why...cause no body is willing to piss off the damn joe shmos in the world who have millions and own thier own business and the only way there gonna be happy is by winnin the 5000 dollar tournament people like us fish to put food on the table and help out...i work with these types all the time..they chire us to do wat they cant figure out...and you know what aint nothin wrong with it..just dont fish tourneys if you dont know wat your doing..
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
19? Damn...you a big ol' yungun!
yaa..25% Samoan...75% Challmatian + alot of fried fish growing up = a good offensive lineman.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Boy I see it now......150 comments by noon on this post....Everyone that used croaker this weekend will be hammering away.....(I hope CHINK dont read here)
Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
yaa..25% Samoan...75% Challmatian + alot of fried fish growing up = a good offensive lineman.

hate to mess with you....
Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Boy I see it now......150 comments by noon on this post....Everyone that used croaker this weekend will be hammering away.....(I hope CHINK dont read here)
Nope W no hammering from me..just its just the truth..
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 PM
King Mackeral

nope i mean Chalmette in St. bernard....lizard woulda been nice though...
Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Nope W no hammering from me..just its just the truth..
I hear ya.....Not bashing i just think it should be BANNED in toun.

Also...I only fished LAKE P once and guys said there is NO way I could catch on plastic in JULY and AUG at Seabrook....

I disagree that plastic dont get job DONE!!! I know if trout are there I will catch them with Plastic!!! Live bait catches trout but not big ones and to many other things as well......
Old 06-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I want to be like "CHINK"....Soak two Croaker at a time and get a story about it.......

what you wanna bet that guy is selling those fish commercially?