SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091
Default Good work by the LDWF

Gretna man busted for guiding bowfishing trips without charter license.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...owfishing.html

Edited to add:

Apparently not his first go round

Louisiana Bowfishing
Gretna commercial fishing guide pleads guilty to federal felony violation of the Lacey Act
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 10, 2011
BLAKE A. MITCHELL, age 26, a resident of Gretna, Louisiana, and owner/operator of “Louisiana Bowfishing, Inc.,” pleaded guilty today before U. S. District Court Judge Nannette Jolivette Brown to providing a commercial fishing/guiding service in violation of federal law, announced U. S. Attorney Jim Letten.
According to court documents, MITCHELL owned “Louisiana Bowfishing, Inc.,” a fishing, hunting, and guiding service based out of Gretna, Louisiana. In January 2010, MITCHELL arranged to take several men from Tennessee on a combined duck hunt and bowfishing trip in Plaquemines Parish. During the two-day trip, MITCHELL captained an airboat with the men aboard, and he provided them with the necessary equipment to hunt and instructed them on where to stand and how to operate the equipment. During the hunt, MITCHELL took the men on multiple bowfishing trips each day and encouraged them to exceed the legal limit of five (5) redfish per person. MITCHELL himself took twenty (20) redfish over the two days. Between hunts, MITCHELL returned the airboat to the boat launch, put the fish in an ice chest, and hid them in an obscure location next to a nearby convenience store. MITCHELL was paid $1850 for the entire hunt.
MITCHELL faces a maximum term of imprisonment of five (5) years, followed by up to three (3) years of supervised release, and a $250,000 fine. As part of his plea agreement, MITCHELL has also agreed to forfeit to the Government the airboat he used to commit the crime. Sentencing has been scheduled for February 16, 2012, at 10:00 am.
The case was investigated by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Jordan Ginsberg.

Last edited by redchaserron; 01-23-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I hope he loses his right to hunt and fish for life.

he has shown obvious disregard and no respect for fish or wildlife

penalties for violations like this are too weak, they should be in the tens of thousands not in hundreds of dollars.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Fines

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I hope he loses his right to hunt and fish for life.

he has shown obvious disregard and no respect for fish or wildlife

penalties for violations like this are too weak, they should be in the tens of thousands not in hundreds of dollars.
I believe the fines added up to $250,000, and he lost his airboat... for now
Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

oh ok, well I didn't read the full text above as it was not easy on the eyes to read so I just went read the linked article:

Quote:
Not possessing a charter guide license and having proof of liability insurance each carries up to a $950 fine and 120 days in jail. Not having registration in possession brings a $50 fine.
Agents placed a forfeiture order on Mitchell's truck and airboat until the case is adjudicated.
I would prefer to see that at $10,000 fine and 1 year in jail, THAT would be a serious enough penalty to make these guys think twice about breaking the law

I guess the extra fines were when they added up the numerous size and limit fines for the fish on top of the basic no license or insurance fines mentioned
Old 01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

What do they do with seized assets?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Some departments use the stuff. Some sit in lots and go to crap over years then auctioned off. Not really sure what LDWF does.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

I don't know...that sounds harsh to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for punishment of wrongdoers, but that's a stiff penalty. There are people that do alot worse, with much less punishment.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Redfish

The article in the link is for his current violation, the article below it is from 2011. The 2011 article stated that he faced "up to" $250,000 in fines, I doubt he paid anywhere near that. The 2011 case involved federal officers, I'm guessing it's because it involved duck hunting but not sure.

The current case list much smaller fines, the boat and truck are being held until the case is adjudicated, I would guess he'll get them back. Damn shame.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

gotta start cracking the whip somewhere. Maybe if they actually did levy some harsh penalties, this wouldn't happen, or as much.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Real Smart Guy

I can't believe he was operating without a valid Captains license.

He met his customers @ the State Oil gas station with a giant neon green airboat then headed to Port Sulphur to fish Freeport Canal.

Defiantly not off the beaten path or low key for a guy without license.

Y'all are right they gotta throw the book at em this time.

I know we have out own trash in SWLA but SELA takes the cake IMO, especially when it comes to Wildlife violations and respect for the law.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
I can't believe he was operating without a valid Captains license.

He met his customers @ the State Oil gas station with a giant neon green airboat then headed to Port Sulphur to fish Freeport Canal.

Defiantly not off the beaten path or low key for a guy without license.

Y'all are right they gotta throw the book at em this time.

I know we have out own trash in SWLA but SELA takes the cake IMO, especially when it comes to Wildlife violations and respect for the law.
He's also got a big old web site promoting his guide service and listing him as a guide.

I'm not sure if the current violation included not having a captains license or just not having an LA charter license. Not having a captian's license could get the U.S.C.G. involved
Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Think it was just his charter license which expires on Dec 31. With all the licenses and permits we have to have it is hard to keep tract of all the expiration dated but that one is as standard as the fishing license which expires June 30. With the holidays and all things like that can be missed. I have seen many do it until it was brought to their attention.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Redfish

And these same idiots are at it again. If ever there was a good argument for stiffer penalties for game law violators....or for retroactive abortion, these guys are it. http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/201 … ted_a.html
Old 06-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

Those muth****as!!!
Dudes literally got rocks for brains lol
Old 06-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Guyss. Now this individuals family.. Their dad's family is from Abbeville... They learned from their dad... He had a bit of a reputation... Both brothers have had violations before...As stated in the beginning of this thread....
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

Some what understandable but not fully