SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 09-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 6,228
Default Labor Day Crappie Fest

Last Thursday I reached out to an old lifetime family friend , Jim Ellis, about goin fishing. I ran into them at the Goos Ferry Rd Crappie tournament back in May. Anyway as it turns out he just came in from offshore and is home for 14 days and was excited about the phone call and fishing trip. This man was like a second Dad to me growing up especially thru and just after high school. Anyway I'm on grave yards and at 6am put it on the news and the radar is just covered with rain everywhere and weather man says rain should be gone by noon. I can't wait that long having to be back at work so I call Mr Jim fully expecting him to say we will go another day. Notta he says rain doesn't bother him and I wasn't gonna back out but I'll be honest I didn't think it would be too good after all that rain. I was just on river last week and fishing tree tops is hard enough but the current was so bad I lost more fish than I pulled out. Found a new hole that day that just kicked my butt. So we get loaded up and take off and he says which way. I wanted to see that new tree top of current was bad. River is a foot high and just knew we would not be able to fish it good. Took me a little bit to find it with water high only a few limbs at waters surface. We get tied up and start fishing right at 7am. I start off right where I was catching them and only get one in 10 minutes or so. I decide to fish a different section of the top and it was fast and furious for about an hour. We boxed 20-25 fish and every single one of them are solid fish. No current whatsoever! I could not believe it. Finally the bite played out a little and jim is wanting to fish this pine tree that fell about a month ago I told him about that he fished Friday by himself and pulled 13 off it. I only fished it once but only caught 4 and many boats have fished it within the last week so I was not excited about it as much as he was but we are spoiled after such a fast bite and u never know unless u try. So off we go. About halfway there jim points to this brush pile and says one of are friends pushed this huge tree in river off his land. I say let's try man I love finding new holes. We get over there and right off the bat first drop we both pull up solid Crappie! I'm thinking it's on again but bite played out some only catching one more the next 10-15 minutes and by this time I can see that another boat has stopped at that tree top he wanted to fish but he is still wanting to go try. There is room for 3-4 boats but I keep telling him mr jim there are fish here we just have to find them. Then it hits me. That first tree top we fished and all the others I had been fishing I was catching them on the deep side of the tree top in about 16-20 feet of water but this morning we caught them on the shallow side in 8-12 feet of water. So I say let's reposition the boat and fish the shallow side of this top and if we don't catch any we will move to next spot. Took 10 minutes or so to figure out how the tree top was and how to fish but once we did it was fish on just as fast and furious as the first hole. We have caught 30 or more here and boxed at least 20 I'm thinking. We picked up a few smaller ones that on any other day likely would of kept but the ones we have are really nice solid fish so we leave some there. I always use this example: if u have duck decoys out or ducks on the pond more will come! Same thing with Crappie. They will just keep bunching up. Structure is most important then there is safety in numbers for em. We can see thunderstorms coming and still have 10 limb lines we baited before the we started fishing so he says let's go run those limb lines and then head on in so u can go get some sleep. I tell him don't worry bout me. We go up river a bit and box 3 really nice blue cats from those. The last one just happen to be on one of my Crappie holes he didn't even know about. So we decide to drop a line. Both of us pull up solid fish right off the bat! We are laughing and thinking man we just can't do anything wrong this am. Well then these two little needle nose garfish move in just as we rebait and get back out there and we both know wat that means. And yes sir the was no more Crappie bite! It happens every time i see them on any of my holes. Before leaving I decide to fish the other side of the tree top and pick up two good bass and several throw back Crappie. Storm is almost on top of us so we decide to make a run for it. It did not start raining until we tied up the boat to the dock right at 11am. So much for rain ending around that time it started and rained most of the day after that. Got a quick break in the rain long enough to snap a couple pics of our catch and I went home for a nap. For sure was one of my better Crappie trips this year and only fished 3 spots! I have 25 or more i catch em at. Definitely the easiest trip I've had in very long time and got to find a new hole! I love finding new holes. When they not bunched up I can hit all of em and still have a mess of fish. What I noticed right away this am is that the last few days have been rain cooled and the water is way cooler than it was last week and the fish moved to the shallow side of the tree tops. They will go back deep I'm sure but idk if I seen this happen at this time of year. I always try to fish the whole tree top before giving up though. Today we caught everything on shiners, even the blue cats, and instead of 15-20 feet of water and sometimes having to tight line we fished 6feet deep. Length of rods with a cork which is my favorite way. Fun fun fun for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1053.jpg (117.9 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1054.jpg (114.3 KB, 246 views)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:32 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

Good times and a great report. Thanks
Old 09-04-2018, 10:04 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

Nice slabs....
Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

That is a great haul. Nice slabs.

I launched at Theriot Rd launch Sunday morning. I have not been out in that area in at least two decades. Had fun with some bass and a couple of surprise stray redfish.

Thanks for your great reports.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

Nice haul!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2018, 11:20 PM
Tripletail

Default 9-5-18 Calcasieu River Givimg up Crappie Everywhere

I really like this site. But this section of it does not get much traffic. For sure not as much as saltwater section. So I have decided to post my detailed fresh water reports elsewhere. I actually have been. I will continue to check back in and for sure post in salt water when I do go. For the ones that do read my reports just pm me and I wil tell u where to check them out at. Also for ones that do read thanks for reading and really thanks for commenting. Calcasieu River is giving up Crappie everywhere I go. The River has not been this clear in many many years. For the ones that follow you have seen my reports and I'll do good but I'll say it's still not like back n the day. Well right now it is every bit as good as back in the day and it is helping me really figure these Crappie out. I always hear that the Calcasieu is hard to figure out how, where , when, etc etc and i didn't really think much of it but it really can be. Example: just last week the fish were in 15-25 fow. Well with the rain the last few days has cooled the river off almost 10 degrees in some places and the same tree tops I was fishing at that depth now have one or two and none at all. But they are still close by on the section of the tree in 8-12 feet of water and it has to be the water temp that brought them up. They stayed deep thru December last year. I can almost guarantee that once this water heats back up they will be back at that depth soon. I just hope it stay this clear. Labor Day I was able to see over 3 feet down in some places. Today at least two feet but the river finally started flowing back south and is bringing dirtier water with it. Fish we caught today were a little further south than Labor Day . Today Barry Bay to watermelon Bay. Still had to be on main river for the big ones. I took my buddy to couple of my holes in the bay but they were all small. I just wanted to show him a place he can almost always catch them and it much more shallow water , 6-8 fow, making it an easy place to take his grand kids to catch Crappie. Hard for kids to fish 6-8 feet deep with a cork! Anyway we boxed some really solid fish at these spots today and never had to circle back to the holes we fished Labor Day and found a new hole that we pulled 15 of the largest Crappie caught. It's always a good day for me when I find a new hole! And we caught two large catfish on rod and reel on a white perch hole! He caught the first one which was 2 1/2 - 3 pound blue cat and barely got it in the net before the gold white perch hook broke. While he was tying on another hook I dropped my line down and hung on one I didn't think we would get. I'm hollering mr jim get the net hurry hurry bend down more I can't pull it up anymore or it's gonna break my hook or line fully understanding now how difficult it is to get the pole high enough fishing almost 7 feet deep with a cork to get it in the net. Well he bent about as far down as he could and I pulled hard on wat I just knew was gonna break it and it got up to that short handle net and would not fit the first time so after seeing it now I pulled one more time and the net and fish were in just the right spot for the head to go in first and we got it. I could not believe it!! It's at least double the size of his and we didn't weigh it but it is an easy 5-6 pound blue cat and likely more than that. I have not caught many big catfish on rod and reel especially on Calcasieu using a Crappie set up lol. Today ended up almost the same as Labor Day. We had 39 Crappie, 2 big blue cats, one average channel cat. Labor Day was 41 Crappie, 2 bass, and 3 catfish but not on rod n reel they came off limb lines. I had just got finished telling him I have been seeing huge catfish roll on top chasing shad in this area not ten minutes before. He has about 50 limb lines out and idk if he would have set some there by just saying that or not but I bet u come Monday or Tuesday when I'm out there again there will be limb lines with very noticeable orange flagging lol! Man I think I may have said this in my last report but these last couple trips it's like we could do nothing wrong!!! Call it karma for reaching out to a lifetime friend at a very stressing time for him or maybe just dumb luck i really do not know but these past couple trips have made memories I'll never forget. Tight lines all and Quit Wishin and Go Fishin!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1840.jpg (88.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1845.jpg (95.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1842.jpg (85.0 KB, 161 views)
Old 09-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Tripletail

This was meant to be a new thread sry. Sunburn frying my brain I guess!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,160

Slab City! Much respect.
You have really got it down out there.
I have considered abandoning this site due to lack of participation but there were certain guys like you, Marshrunner and Swampcriterrr (where did he go?) that kept me here.
I do not and will not do Facebook because it is a trap.
Thanks for your reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,541

I feel the same as yall.I also have stopped posting and just pm guys i share info with.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
Slab City! Much respect.
You have really got it down out there.
I have considered abandoning this site due to lack of participation but there were certain guys like you, Marshrunner and Swampcriterrr (where did he go?) that kept me here.
I do not and will not do Facebook because it is a trap.
Thanks for your reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm still here. Just don't post much anymore. As said, I have a few that I pm with. Also, I haven't been catching enough to brag about lol. Hoping to go somewhere tomorrow, have to wait and see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2018, 05:48 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,375

I'm here, just working too much and getting ready for a new baby coming at the end of october. Almost finished with some tile work then I will be making some trips !
Old 09-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Flounder

Cash: 653

Excellent reports. I have never tried to fish the river. I may need to give it a shot.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM1971 View Post
I really like this site. But this section of it does not get much traffic. For sure not as much as saltwater section. So I have decided to post my detailed fresh water reports elsewhere. I actually have been. I will continue to check back in and for sure post in salt water when I do go. For the ones that do read my reports just pm me and I wil tell u where to check them out at. Also for ones that do read thanks for reading and really thanks for commenting. Calcasieu River is giving up Crappie everywhere I go. The River has not been this clear in many many years. For the ones that follow you have seen my reports and I'll do good but I'll say it's still not like back n the day. Well right now it is every bit as good as back in the day and it is helping me really figure these Crappie out. I always hear that the Calcasieu is hard to figure out how, where , when, etc etc and i didn't really think much of it but it really can be. Example: just last week the fish were in 15-25 fow. Well with the rain the last few days has cooled the river off almost 10 degrees in some places and the same tree tops I was fishing at that depth now have one or two and none at all. But they are still close by on the section of the tree in 8-12 feet of water and it has to be the water temp that brought them up. They stayed deep thru December last year. I can almost guarantee that once this water heats back up they will be back at that depth soon. I just hope it stay this clear. Labor Day I was able to see over 3 feet down in some places. Today at least two feet but the river finally started flowing back south and is bringing dirtier water with it. Fish we caught today were a little further south than Labor Day . Today Barry Bay to watermelon Bay. Still had to be on main river for the big ones. I took my buddy to couple of my holes in the bay but they were all small. I just wanted to show him a place he can almost always catch them and it much more shallow water , 6-8 fow, making it an easy place to take his grand kids to catch Crappie. Hard for kids to fish 6-8 feet deep with a cork! Anyway we boxed some really solid fish at these spots today and never had to circle back to the holes we fished Labor Day and found a new hole that we pulled 15 of the largest Crappie caught. It's always a good day for me when I find a new hole! And we caught two large catfish on rod and reel on a white perch hole! He caught the first one which was 2 1/2 - 3 pound blue cat and barely got it in the net before the gold white perch hook broke. While he was tying on another hook I dropped my line down and hung on one I didn't think we would get. I'm hollering mr jim get the net hurry hurry bend down more I can't pull it up anymore or it's gonna break my hook or line fully understanding now how difficult it is to get the pole high enough fishing almost 7 feet deep with a cork to get it in the net. Well he bent about as far down as he could and I pulled hard on wat I just knew was gonna break it and it got up to that short handle net and would not fit the first time so after seeing it now I pulled one more time and the net and fish were in just the right spot for the head to go in first and we got it. I could not believe it!! It's at least double the size of his and we didn't weigh it but it is an easy 5-6 pound blue cat and likely more than that. I have not caught many big catfish on rod and reel especially on Calcasieu using a Crappie set up lol. Today ended up almost the same as Labor Day. We had 39 Crappie, 2 big blue cats, one average channel cat. Labor Day was 41 Crappie, 2 bass, and 3 catfish but not on rod n reel they came off limb lines. I had just got finished telling him I have been seeing huge catfish roll on top chasing shad in this area not ten minutes before. He has about 50 limb lines out and idk if he would have set some there by just saying that or not but I bet u come Monday or Tuesday when I'm out there again there will be limb lines with very noticeable orange flagging lol! Man I think I may have said this in my last report but these last couple trips it's like we could do nothing wrong!!! Call it karma for reaching out to a lifetime friend at a very stressing time for him or maybe just dumb luck i really do not know but these past couple trips have made memories I'll never forget. Tight lines all and Quit Wishin and Go Fishin!!
Will miss your reports where are you posting reports

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk