SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 678
Default Beer lovers, help me out...

Hey guys, this has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or fishing. Well, maybe drinking beer, but what I'm looking for is some help identifying a beer stein I have. My dad gave it to me years ago. I know it's from Germany. He got it from an uncle of his that was stationed there in the military, probably shortly after WW2. I don't remember the exact translation of the poem on the sides, but it has something to do with a refreshing drink in a good time (happy hour?), does something and makes hearts young. The background looks black in the picture, but it's actually dark blue. I know there's likely no real monetary value to it with it's condition. It's been broken and repaired a few times. I have drank beer from it, although it's kinda awkward with the lid. Gets it the way a little. Maybe because it's been repaired and originally the lid's out of the way. Also it leaks just a little. So, I just use it as a decorative item in my kitchen, and keep beer bottle caps in it. I have several German brands pictured with it. I like American beer too, and I'm as American as they come. But you gotta hand it to those Germans, they really know how to brew. Anyway, This may be a long shot, but maybe some of y'all are fans of German beer too and might be familiar with German beer steins. I'm also posting this on a website about collecting, selling, and identifying beer steins, but I figured I'd post it here too. I'm just curious about identifying it. There's no maker's mark that I can see, but some of them don't have them and they're still authentic. I really don't care, I just think it's a cool beer stein. Any takers? Let me know what y'all think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beer Stein 1.jpg (47.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Beer Stein 2.jpg (53.4 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Beer Stein 3.jpg (56.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Beer Stein 4.jpg (47.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Beer Stein 5.jpg (52.9 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Beer Stein 6.jpg (52.5 KB, 317 views)
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

bring it to Rick at Pawn Stars
Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
bring it to Rick at Pawn Stars
Well, if I ever make it out to Las Vegas, I'll do that. But until then, I figured I'd check here.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

I e-mailed this to my father as he has lived in Germany for about 9 years. Im sure he has seen these. i'll let you know his reply.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

No idea on the origin but, it is a neat looking piece! Talking about German beers brought something to mind that some here may not know. Dos Equis and Corona are both originally German beers. During one of the world wars, many Germans fled to Mexico to escape the cruelties of war and started their own beer companies in Mexico and marketed it as mexican beer since being German wasn't the most popular thing to be in those days. I believe there's actually a third Mexican beer company whose origins started in Germany but, I can't recall the name right now.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,548

one side says: scheuct provides and makes heart young
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
No idea on the origin but, it is a neat looking piece! Talking about German beers brought something to mind that some here may not know. Dos Equis and Corona are both originally German beers. During one of the world wars, many Germans fled to Mexico to escape the cruelties of war and started their own beer companies in Mexico and marketed it as mexican beer since being German wasn't the most popular thing to be in those days. I believe there's actually a third Mexican beer company whose origins started in Germany but, I can't recall the name right now.
I used to do some home brewing several years ago, and that's when I started drinking German beers. I didn't know about Corona, but I did know about Dos Equis being of German origin. The brewer was a German immigrant. He first brewed it in 1897, and named it Dos Equis, or two x's because XX is 20 in Roman numerals. It was brewed to mark the coming of the 20th century. Also, I think the other beer you're thinking about is Negro Modelo. Very good, rich, dark beer. I think my favorites from Germany are the Oktoberfest beers and Dopplebocks.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Redfish

Stay thirsty my friends. Yeah, I know. Somebody was bound to say it sooner or later!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I e-mailed this to my father as he has lived in Germany for about 9 years. Im sure he has seen these. i'll let you know his reply.
It's possible this may not be around anymore, at least new on the market. Even in Germany. It's about 60 years old, maybe more. But still, maybe your father has seen one like it. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,548

http://www.steinverein.com/expradd.pdf

MIGHT BE SOMETHING HERE!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

i was just looking at that exact site..also just found one very close to the one you have on the net
Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
http://www.steinverein.com/expradd.pdf

MIGHT BE SOMETHING HERE!!
Thanks! I'll have to bookmark that. I glanced through them, but I'll have to look closer.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Redfish

Since we're on the subject of German beer and beer steins, y'all might find this amusing.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Redfish

Der hirch mag sich nach wasser sehnen, Ich aber will zum wirte
rennen!

The deer would like to find water, I would like to find the bartender!

That's funny!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Critter View Post
It's possible this may not be around anymore, at least new on the market. Even in Germany. It's about 60 years old, maybe more. But still, maybe your father has seen one like it. I appreciate the help.
He said that they normally sell for $25-$75. He is interested in buying it if you want to sell it.... all of his are broken
Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Redfish

Quote:
He said that they normally sell for $25-$75. He is interested in buying it if you want to sell it.... all of his are broken
Oh, I don't want to sell it, I'm just curious to find out the manufacturer, approximate age, where in Germany it was made, etc. Also, as far as price, NEW ones from Germany go for around $200 on the upper end. Maybe more. Just saying.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Great White

thats all the information he gave me. He said that he had quite a few, but they ended up broken when he came back to the states. He was looking for some intact in order to replace some of the broken one's he already has. Just referring to you what he said. He also said that there numerous manufacters that made these
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Redfish

Quote:
thats all the information he gave me. He said that he had quite a few, but they ended up broken when he came back to the states. He was looking for some intact in order to replace some of the broken one's he already has. Just referring to you what he said. He also said that there numerous manufacters that made these
I see. I guess I'd have to find that EXACT same one to be able to identify it. Not that it really matters, just to satisfy my own curiosity. What got me interested in this is that we just got back from San Antonio, and we went to New Braunfels and Fredericksburg too. I don't think Germany has as many Germans as those small towns around San Antonio! Lol! I wanted to look for places that had beer steins, but you can only do so much. We had a good trip.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Did you see the video? I think it's kinda cool. I find it amusing.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Redfish

I bet someone is going to read this thread, then go to the fridge for a beer. Or to the store to get some if they're out.