SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-07-2014, 02:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Good speckled trout article

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...d-trout_a.html

The quotes from Blanchet are especially on point.

I know there are varying opinions on Masson, but I like him, regard him as well above average as a writer in getting his facts right, and appreciate that he is able to get Blanchet to talk.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Good artical

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2014, 02:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Very good read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 08-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Makes sense
Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

1st comment George fricking Ricks and those damn diversions Mike Lane will follow suit shortly

its all across the coast, everywhere. Everything is a little behind everywhere, but just like Big Lake it will come around give it time, no diversion or weir is creating any of it. Grand Isle is going to be lights out in a month or two
Old 08-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

I know there are varying opinions on Masson, but I like him, regard him as well above average as a writer in getting his facts right, and appreciate that he is able to get Blanchet to talk.
I used to think he was a good writer and a friend to sportsmen but lost all respect for Todd Masson when he started writing articles championing the drastic need to cut trout limits because a few suit and tie fishermen weren't able to catch limits of 10 lb trout so the sky must be falling and we need a 10 or even a 5 trout limit so everyone can start catching 10 lb trout again .

he did several of these idiotic stories repeating his cry about the sky is falling every couple of months and every time the only proof of need for this was they aren't catching big giant trout like they used to and there was always one stupid charter captain who didn't know how to catch fish so it must be someone elses fault. in my mind he is just as bad as CCA wanting to start restricting fishing limits for insane non-scientific reasons and working hard to invent a reason to do so and he continues to find a way to beat that drum in every article.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

I thought his articles were objective. I didn't feel he championed a side.
I could just be dumb tho.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
X2
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Quote:
I must be dumb too, cuz I felt he was very objective.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
im not referring to this write up, here he is trying to be fair
Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

Thae article is well done and is a hallmark of Masson's writing, and I am happy he was able to obtain this information.

Blanchet speaks only of this year. This doesn't account yet for the lack of success of last year's mediocre fall, winter, spring and summer on Big Lake. It is actually a two-year phenomenon where anglers have bemoaned poor catches and a poor catch rate in Big Lake. Memories are short.

What has me stunned is that LDWF is touting LA Creel as a sure-fire instrument that will assist them in managing the fisheries.

It seems that they have confused apples and oranges. Are angler catch success and improved catch rates actually correlated with a good biomass indicator? All LA Creel does is simply obtain a better estimate of catch rates and harvest than what was used in the past.

What we don't know is exactly what the biomass indicator is for specks or other species since LDWF will not release any statistics although Pausina assured me that gill net sampling and trammel net sampling has continued throughout the lack of reporting period since 2011. Ands as many heard at the meeting, supposedly our trout are ok.

Anyway, I am still very displeased that LDWF continues to keep a lid on specific numbers in the fisheries.

Also, please note this story: http://www.americanpress.com/news/lo...cts-70-billion

I don't see how in any way that the amount of dredging and construction that will be necessary for these projects - especially the one at Monkey Island - won't affect fishing success. Can you imagine what a good southerly will do to West Cove, Basket Reef, all the southeast flats...the Washout etc.... while dredging and construction is going on?

I am all for progress like the next good Republican, but we may have to do with less...and that's if the trout find that such habitat will allow them to forage on shrimp and baitfish that may or may not be affected.

Why LDWF won't release the numbers is more than just litigation. It's political. Numbers are objective (or should be) regardless if it's BP to blame or not.

Want to see what we used to get as reports from LDWF in the past regarding our fisheries?

Then take a look at this article from Texas: http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors...ns-5546515.php

That's the kind of info we used to obtain every year. Wouldn't it be nice to get the news ...good or bad....?

Warning folks....don't count out lower limits yet. It all depends on biomass indicators or the acclaimed SPR...and which they only derive an overall statewide estimate and nothing specific by region such as Big Lake.

I am looking forward to what LDWF will release next month as promised...I just hope they give us some numbers. I am not optimistic.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Flounder

Cash: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
According to my sources down the bayou, there are a few inferior guides down around Venice and empire that are kicking up ***** b/c some guides work harder than them and dont mind getting 25 more fish for their customers. I think Capt. Marty and Capt. Travis have been raising the bar on them lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shop in Broussard View Post
According to my sources down the bayou, there are a few inferior guides down around Venice and empire that are kicking up ***** b/c some guides work harder than them and dont mind getting 25 more fish for their customers. I think Capt. Marty and Capt. Travis have been raising the bar on them lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
x2
Old 08-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Redfish

Cash: 658

Quote:
x3