SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 678

Ok, I'm sure it's not just me. I'm a pretty big fan of the show, and regularly check out the various clips they have of it on YouTube. I read the comments, and post some myself. Most of the comments are positive, and the show has lots of fans from all over. However some people just can't keep their stupidity to themselves, and they start bashing. It's one thing if they dislike the show, I mean they bash us Cajuns as a whole. Of course they call us all rednecks, because they don't have a clue who Cajuns are. One site I came across even called us hillbillies! The nearest hill I know of is Avery Island. Not much else around here. Anyway, to be clear, I don't have a problem with rednecks. I have redneck relatives and buddies. That's not the "insult" part. They throw out the same old, tired stereotypes about us boinkin' our cousins (or sisters), no education, knuckle draggers, inbreeders, etc. I've responded and set some straight. Told one just where he could shove his condescending, elitist attitude. I know it's silly, but I just can't help but get pissed off when people insult Cajuns. That's my people! Not just You Tube either. Just google "Swamp People Discussion Forums" and you get lots of sites, and most are either positive comments on the threads, or amused by the accents. Others insult the cast, and some insult US in general, Cajuns, Rednecks, all the same. I know it's petty, and I'll never meet these morons in person. I'm not a cry baby, but man, it just makes me want to slap them when they start insulting our culture. There! Got it off my chest! Any of you run across the same thing? Feel the same way?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250

There was a page on fb about stop the alligator killing. This guy got smashed on it and ended up closing the page.Btw he was from california snd has no clue about our culture.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,544

I could go on and on about this...but people's perception of any culture is based on their own experience with whatever they have been exposed to in life...majority of folks from the gulf south understand...east coast...west coast large cities are a whole different ball game.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Critter View Post
Ok, I'm sure it's not just me. I'm a pretty big fan of the show, and regularly check out the various clips they have of it on YouTube. I read the comments, and post some myself. Most of the comments are positive, and the show has lots of fans from all over. However some people just can't keep their stupidity to themselves, and they start bashing. It's one thing if they dislike the show, I mean they bash us Cajuns as a whole. Of course they call us all rednecks, because they don't have a clue who Cajuns are. One site I came across even called us hillbillies! The nearest hill I know of is Avery Island. Not much else around here. Anyway, to be clear, I don't have a problem with rednecks. I have redneck relatives and buddies. That's not the "insult" part. They throw out the same old, tired stereotypes about us boinkin' our cousins (or sisters), no education, knuckle draggers, inbreeders, etc. I've responded and set some straight. Told one just where he could shove his condescending, elitist attitude. I know it's silly, but I just can't help but get pissed off when people insult Cajuns. That's my people! Not just You Tube either. Just google "Swamp People Discussion Forums" and you get lots of sites, and most are either positive comments on the threads, or amused by the accents. Others insult the cast, and some insult US in general, Cajuns, Rednecks, all the same. I know it's petty, and I'll never meet these morons in person. I'm not a cry baby, but man, it just makes me want to slap them when they start insulting our culture. There! Got it off my chest! Any of you run across the same thing? Feel the same way?

I can't wait to tell my wife I'm Cajun.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

As a transplant, all I can say is that the rest that hate on this place don't know what they are missing!

The food, the people, the sights, the fishin...I could go on and on! I've told a good number of folks here that it's been a long 4 weeks! That's how long I was supposed to stay...Nearly 7 years ago!

Let em hate! That's more for me! Lol
Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

If ya stay here for 3 more years we will call ya a transplanted yankee.
If ya die on louisiana soil and are planted here. we'll call ya a transplanted cajun
Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Well then transplanted Yankee is gonna have to work for what I hope is a very long time!! I'm not lookin forward to getting your promotion/title change any time soon, Eman!!!! Lmao!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcast View Post
There was a page on fb about stop the alligator killing. This guy got smashed on it and ended up closing the page.Btw he was from california snd has no clue about our culture.
Ok, what's "fb"? Probably something obvious that I can't think about right now, because I'm just some "dumb ol' knuckle-draggin' Cajun" LOL!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

face book
Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Redfish

Thank you Speck Chaser. I didn't even think Face Book. I'm officially like 150 years old, I guess!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

Quote:
Thank you Speck Chaser. I didn't even think Face Book. I'm officially like 150 years old, I guess!

Damned, that makes me 200????
Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

going with a group next weekend and see T-Mike and their alligator farm.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Redfish

Here's a MILD example of what I came across. Some of you may start looking into these things yourselves after reading it. There's MUCH worse. It's a response someone posted to a video on You Tube called "Swamp People: Bruce Gives a Gator Tour"

"Louisiana is one of the country's least educated states', It doesn't surprise me they have to resort to killing gators to make a buck..Then they act like they have it so hard..Haha, sorry swamp people you make it hard on yourself."

To which I replied:

"Ever heard of Camp Lejeune? It's named after Lt General John Lejeune, 13'th Commandant of the US Marine Corps, and a student of LSU, LOUISIANA State University. Ever hear of Cajunbot? It's an autonomous vehicle developed at ULL, University of LOUISIANA at Lafayette as part of a program of the Department of Defense. It got nationwide media coverage, and was featured on the Discovery Channel. So, you can take your condescending, elitist attitude, shove it up your *** and set fire to it."

Now maybe it's not playing nice, but I had to do it. There was no response back, just a comment of approval from another person. I'm not what you'd call a "keyboard commando", but I gotta admit, that felt good!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Redfish

My little 'predicament' if you could call it that, is I'm dumb enough to let the insults I read on line bother me. So much so, that the other day I came across a motorcycle website. I don't think it was a 'biker' website, but looked like for guys who like to customize and 'soup up' their bikes. I almost joined it just to reply to an offensive statement some guy put there. Then I asked myself, like 'what the hell am I doing?' and common sense got the better of me and I clicked it off the screen. I've never owned a motorcycle, and have only ridden one, as a passenger, a few times. I'm a reasonably smart guy, college educated, married with 2 kids, job, etc. For some reason this thing just gets under my skin. And I don't even hunt gators, nor do I live in the swamp. Maybe I just can't deny my heritage, and the idea that if you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us. Any of you coonass psychiatrists have some advice?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcast View Post
I looked for it, thinking maybe you meant that the page was closed to further discussion, but the thread was still there. Apparently, that thread itself is gone. It's probably a good thing, though. I like reading the positive comments, but the insulting ones tick me off. Makes me want to load my rifle, sharpen my knife, and cook some rice! Lookout Cajun haters! Hee Hee!!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Redfish

One comment I came across to one of the YouTube videos (thankfully his comment was removed) was from a guy who said something like, paraphrasing here, "these hunters need to all be shot. I want them all to die a slow, brutal death"

My reply:

"My 13 year old daughter is a hunter. You want her to be shot and to die a slow brutal death?"

He didn't answer.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Redfish

Quote:
One comment I came across to one of the YouTube videos (thankfully his comment was removed) was from a guy who said something like, paraphrasing here, "these hunters need to all be shot. I want them all to die a slow, brutal death"

My reply:

"My 13 year old daughter is a hunter. You want her to be shot and to die a slow brutal death?"

He didn't answer.
To quote Hank Williams Jr:

"I'd love to spit some Beech Nut in that dude's eyes, and shoot him with my old .45 'cause a COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE"

'Nuff said!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Redfish

If any of you have a You Tube account and decide to check out these "Swamp People" videos, if you come across these ignorant ding-bats displaying their stupidity with their rude, hateful comments please speak up for us Cajuns and Rednecks. People can respectfully disagree with the content of what they're watching, and that's ok. I just hate all the bashing we take, and I try to speak out against it. Some of you probably feel the same way.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,104

i am a dego.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman444 View Post
i am a homo.
*** dude ?? ok your out of the east side wrecking crew