SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104
Default How my day started off this morning.

Disclaimer: this is not to brag on my actions of this morning. This is me trying to comprehend what I did to possibly save this kids life this morning and me being shaken up by it.

So this morning (0515) I pull up to the Marathon gas station on highway 73 and highway 74 and right as I get out of my truck I see a private security guard woman running into the gas station yelling get away from me. I turn to see who she's talking to and I see this kid who couldn't have been older than 21-22running up with a t shirt around his neck and blood streaming down his chest. Already fearing the worst and after doing a extremely fast come to Jesus moment, I had the kid (who was on some sort of methamphetamine for the last 2 days) sit down and try to stay still. Ran inside and grabbed a pair of non latex gloves from the kitchen.... This is why I always like to say it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I threw open my passenger door and removed several rolls of gauze from my oh crap package that I keep on the bag I bring to work and shoved a hemostatic dressing in my pocket in case I needed it. I stuffed the gauze and held it in place over his neck, which the stab wound missed his jugular, carotid artery and esophagus by small fractions of an inch. He kept telling me not to let him die, and I of course said I promise I will not let you die. I had tried talking to him to keep him from getting too roused up asking him about his family mom dad sisters brothers whoever I could think of in case that would calm him down long enough for me to work. He was wigging out because he was still high over all the people standing around. What seemed like an hour went by was actually only about 5 minutes before the cops, 10 minutes for the fire truck and shortly after the ambulance pulled up and took over from there. Honestly one of the harder promises I've ever tried to keep so far and I am shaken up beyond belief right now. I called in to work to let them know that I'm not coming in and my expansion boss was prior medical field and understood everything. I began crying when I called the 2 people I trust the most to give me insight and get me through tough or traumatic experiences. All I can honestly say is I think I performed to the best of my ability to keep this kid alive and from further hurting himself and/or others. Now that the adrenaline is wearing off it's an instant crash and a sudden wave of tiredness. I hope that this can and will be a wake up call for him and I hope he makes a full recovery. Like one man said, God puts people in your life at the right place, at the right time with the right tools. Thank God I was able to help this kid. Awesome work to the Acadian Ambulance , Prairieville Fire Department and the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office for responding quickly.

On a side note, when you begin to shove gauze into the wound to try and stop the excess outpouring of blood and your thumb can go just passed the middle knuckle with the gauze in there, the kid is very lucky I didn't throw up all over him. When it all began I noticed my whole body get the shakes from excess of adrenaline pouring into it and it took me a quick half second maybe I calm my nerves enough where I can work and try to keep him calm.

So with that said, I'm going fishing to try and comprehend and process everything.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,241

wow! you did good! hope the kid is ok

you deserve to catch some fish!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck cc View Post
wow! you did good! hope the kid is ok

you deserve to catch some fish!

My boss said to go fishing but catch some for him too. Okay Sam got you there lol
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Wow! Thank god you were there! I can't say I would have handled the situation that well. You're a hero for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,474

2 things..
1-you did an awesome job, in effort alone!
2-clearly you have training that must go beyond first aid(or at least it seems.)

Nobody knows how they'll react in times like that. You did good.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

1... THK U for your action..I've seen peps let someone die and just walk right past them..
2. Good Job.. U R A HERO...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

Strong work my friend!
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 767

Solid work this morning.

Hope the fish are biting wherever you are.

Kudos!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Redfish

Cash: 859

Awesome job! As a professional firefighter and medic i can you prolly saved that kids life!!! If u carry the ih crap bag around, get some stuffed called celix, its a powder that congeals when it cones in contact with blood and causes a clot! The stuff is amazing and it will stop the worst of arterial bleeds!!! Again, good job!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 AM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

It's Taco Tuesday Iron Man !!! Have a good day.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman121799 View Post
Awesome job! As a professional firefighter and medic i can you prolly saved that kids life!!! If u carry the ih crap bag around, get some stuffed called celix, its a powder that congeals when it cones in contact with blood and causes a clot! The stuff is amazing and it will stop the worst of arterial bleeds!!! Again, good job!
I'll look for it. Got some of them off the shelf clotting sponges that I don't think work at all.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
It's Taco Tuesday Iron Man !!! Have a good day.

You mean etoufe Tuesday!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
2 things..
1-you did an awesome job, in effort alone!
2-clearly you have training that must go beyond first aid(or at least it seems.)

Nobody knows how they'll react in times like that. You did good.
Actually the training is very basic from the Navy. I'm no medical professional or anythinlike that. I guess I just followed the training I was provided when I was in and followed some instinct.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,905

Wow! Incredible experience and story. I'm even more impressed you were able to sit and type it out. Well Done!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 801

You are a hero. Very brave.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default How my day started off this morning.

You did great a Hero in my book. Prayers for you my friend. After you settle in and in a few days you will be able to tell this story to friends. It's a good feeling to rescue someone.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

I'm shaken up just reading it!

good job for sure. Definitely deserve a day off!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:43 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

WOW! I roll through there the same time everyday! Good job dude!