Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 12-21-2015, 06:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507
Default Bunk Slicks for trailer?

Looking to see what everyone is using?

My carpet is almost gone in spots and I want to replace the carper with something better and longer lasting.

I have seen some trailers with what looks like star board for bunks. But cannot find a good website that talks about this.

Has anyone replaced their old bunks with a composite style bunk (Bunk slicks)? If so, please give details?

I have a 20' CC deep "V" made by Tidewater.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

if your talking about those white slicks on the boards. I wouldn't mess with it. I've seen and heard that those slicks will eventually rub a grove into the fiberglass
Old 12-21-2015, 08:26 AM
Flounder

Cash: 642

http://www.caliberproductsinc.com/ma.../BunkWraps.php

I use these over my bunk boards. Very durable.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco View Post
Looking to see what everyone is using?

My carpet is almost gone in spots and I want to replace the carper with something better and longer lasting.

I have seen some trailers with what looks like star board for bunks. But cannot find a good website that talks about this.

Has anyone replaced their old bunks with a composite style bunk (Bunk slicks)? If so, please give details?

I have a 20' CC deep "V" made by Tidewater.
I have used outdoor carpeting and it lasts longer but doesn't slide as well so I went back to the bunk carpet. nothing will last forever so I just replace it every 5 years weather its looking bad or not. I just consider it just routine trailer maint.

the nylon bunk slides work good but when they come off, and sooner or later at some point they will, they gouge the hull up pretty badly as it slides on the screws sticking up
Old 12-22-2015, 06:42 AM
Tripletail

Thanks for the information. I have read a few articles about how they can do damage to the hull...Can't be any worse than the what those oyster beds do :-).

I found a few that have the mounting hardware on the sides of the bunk, which would prevent to screws from backing out and hitting the hull.

Anyone use these?
http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...=86162&eq=&Tp=
Old 12-22-2015, 07:07 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Put Gulf Wax on the carpets. You can buy it near the canning supplies at stores.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Redfish

Cash: 658

I used bunk slicks for years on a 16' glass boat. They were great, particularly in low water situations. Don't unhook the bow until you're ready for the boat to leave the trailer.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Shark View Post
I used bunk slicks for years on a 16' glass boat. They were great, particularly in low water situations. Don't unhook the bow until you're ready for the boat to leave the trailer.
I have rumors about guys unhooking before reaching the water and the boat slides off and onto the pavement... That has to suck

Thanks for the info
Old 12-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,176

I have used these tie down bunk glides on 2 pontoon boats and 4 glass boats either because I wanted the boat to slide better or it was time to replace the carpet. This name brand has always worked well. I currently have it on my 24' bay boat. I usually strip the carpet and staples and install these glides with screws on the sides of each glide. Removing the carpet allows the boards to dry quicker.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:34 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I have read a few articles about how they can do damage to the hull...Can't be any worse than the what those oyster beds do :-).

I found a few that have the mounting hardware on the sides of the bunk, which would prevent to screws from backing out and hitting the hull.

Anyone use these?
http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...=86162&eq=&Tp=
anything that keeps the mounting screws on the side should be fine, just don't buy the ones with top mounted screws
Old 12-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Redfish

Cash: 896

Quote:
I have rumors about guys unhooking before reaching the water and the boat slides off and onto the pavement... That has to suck
It does

I use silicone spray on the carpeted bunks every few months, spraying it on just before retrieving when the bunks are dry, then wiping with a towel.

First time was a mess . . . at least it was only me and my buddy at the ramp.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default Trailer boards

Factory carpet lasted less than a year. Have used this on several trailers, works great. Get it at Lowes, its a pvc board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (39.8 KB, 253 views)
Old 12-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let um land View Post
Factory carpet lasted less than a year. Have used this on several trailers, works great. Get it at Lowes, its a pvc board.
I have heard guys using this. I wonder how it will work on a deep V Fiberglass boat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6727.jpg (51.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 12-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Tripletail

I have also read that PVC Trim Board works well.

Anyone using PVC Trim board?

This is the article I was reading:
PVC may not be quite as slippery as nylon, but while looking at a piece of 1x4" PVC trim board, it occurred to me that it would still make a good bunk glide: it is easy to work, thick enough to countersink the screw heads, and best of all, would provide little friction when I was either launching or pulling the boat out of the water.

I bought a piece of the trim board and twenty 1 1/2" stainless steel screws at my local building supply yard. That's all I needed, and at $30 dollars, it was considerably cheaper than any commercially made bunk glides I had seen.

The piece of PVC trim I bought was 18' long and the bunks on my trailer are about 7' each, so first I cut it to length. Then I cut a slight bevel on the front end of the pieces and lopped the top corner off the rear ends. I then sanded both cuts, making the rear into a rounded bullnose. I also planed and sanded down both top sides for the length of the boards so there were no sharp corners in contact with the hull of my boat.

Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Red Snapper

my only concern would be them cracking as they get older and dry out but I like the idea of the pvc trim. I might try to find pvc corner trim if they have it to avoid having screws on the top just in case of a rare failure and screw exposure to contact the hull
Old 01-01-2016, 12:16 AM
Tripletail

After all my research, the best and most safe decision is to go back with the Bunk carpet and silicone spray.

Thanks to everyone for giving me their input.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Flounder

Cash: 631
Default ez slides

I've got the ez slides on my trailer. Had them for about 5 years. No problem with them. I've got a custom alum. v hull that I use in saltwater. If it's a glass boat I would just replace the carpet. Good luck!