SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

I also practice conservation by throwing all of my fish guts and carcases to my neighbors crawfish in his pond. Just feel like giving back a little.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Well..we'll have to talk to the messican about that problem...Darn beans
haha...its normally whatever I eat right before going out. Like a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich...tends to go straight through me.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
I also practice conservation by throwing all of my fish guts and carcases in my neighbors front yard. Just feel like giving back a little.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
I also practice conservation by throwing all of my fish guts and carcases to my neighbors crawfish in his pond. Just feel like giving back a little.

I feel i practice conservation, by only shooting drake spoonies...that way they can't populate...
Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
I feel i practice conservation, by only shooting drake spoonies...that way they can't populate...

you better get off my spoonies thats the only birds i can get to decoy with my calling
Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

i consider myself a fisherman, i never keep over my legal limits, if i have fish in the freeze i'm trying to not keep more than i need but i do give alot of fish away to friends and customers, im involved in the tagging program . i would like to make sure there are gonna be the same amount of fish for my kids to catch as we catch now but i aint about to hug no trees over it either. i would not mind a 15 trout limit statewide , 15 trout /day in more than enough IMO
Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster View Post
Off topic but, Salty were do/did you fish?
That's how he conserves.......he don't fish......
Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
i consider myself a fisherman, i never keep over my legal limits, if i have fish in the freeze i'm trying to not keep more than i need but i do give alot of fish away to friends and customers, im involved in the tagging program . i would like to make sure there are gonna be the same amount of fish for my kids to catch as we catch now but i aint about to hug no trees over it either. i would not mind a 15 trout limit statewide , 15 trout /day in more than enough IMO

That was well-stated, Poxy. One question....do you keep more than 15 even though the limit is 25 per person?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Define conservationist! If I legally keep only my limit and eat all I catch am I a conservationist? If I deer hunt and shoot the first 2 deer I see and then hunt horns am I a conservationist? If I pass on does during management hunts, that are in place to remove deer from the herd, am I a conservationist?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
That was well-stated, Poxy. One question....do you keep more than 15 even though the limit is 25 per person?
i do but now that you bring it up i believe i will try some self restraint and try the 15 thing for awhile. i just ran my freezer down to maybe 20 filets i let it get low because i saw i still had fish from last summer, and that is just stupid. im my house im the only one who eats fish so 15 is more than enough, but if i bring someone fishing and they rarely get to fish i dont mind letting them keep everyons catch. the tagging program has really helped me show some restraint towards wanting to keep everything. my hopes for my participation in the tagging program are to help the movement of fish study and also help me as an angler learn what and where a trouts goes that i catch during diff seasons and where it ends up when its recaught
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Define conservationist! If I legally keep only my limit and eat all I catch am I a conservationist? If I deer hunt and shoot the first 2 deer I see and then hunt horns am I a conservationist? If I pass on does during management hunts, that are in place to remove deer from the herd, am I a conservationist?
Exactly.........I'll keep a limit of fish, which I don't fish every day or even every w/e, don't even go 5 months out of the year due to hunting.
When I was younger deer hunting it was all about the numbers (but not over a yearly limit)....Not any more.....I let at least 13 legal bucks (for our club 6pt or better) walk this year. But didn't shoot a doe either & were on a program to take so many does off our property. So you decide....... Conservationist or not. ???????
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

I don't keep trout over 4 lbs and try to convince everyone I fish with to do the same. Many times I catch and release.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Exactly.........I'll keep a limit of fish, which I don't fish every day or even every w/e, don't even go 5 months out of the year due to hunting.
When I was younger deer hunting it was all about the numbers (but not over a yearly limit)....Not any more.....I let at least 13 legal bucks (for our club 6pt or better) walk this year. But didn't shoot a doe either & were on a program to take so many does off our property. So you decide....... Conservationist or not. ???????
IMO, management and conservation geaux hand in hand.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I don't keep trout over 4 lbs and try to convince everyone I fish with to do the same. Many times I catch and release.
Good for you, Chief.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,545

I guess I'm a conservationist. I don't harm the population. I don't catch fish.

On the other hand, Miller Lite will be decimated at all times. I do not conserve usually get my limit plus a few more!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338
Default most definitely

I am a conservationist for sure. I help conserve the baitfish population by keeping my limit of fish when I go fishing. And I help the GO GREEN movement by shooting those pesky deer that eat all our green plants. So all in all, I do more than my fair share to keep the ecosystem in check.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I guess I'm a conservationist. I don't harm the population. I don't catch fish.

On the other hand, Miller Lite will be decimated at all times. I do not conserve usually get my limit plus a few more!
25 per person?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

i too work for the state, and am going to grad school for coastal restoration
Old 02-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Yes.......Im a conservationist.........I have a 1000 tags of info of trout and reds I have let go!.........I have caught and released more trout than some catch in a lifetime.......

So Yes I help take care of what we have!!

you are a poser conservationist

you keep limits of baby trout just to say you limited
Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottomOfTheBoot View Post
haha...its normally whatever I eat right before going out. Like a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich...tends to go straight through me.
yeah i had to quit getting the sausage, egg, cheese biscuits from cormie's. After a cup of coffee by the time I get to the launch I have a blow out