SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

well i always trained my dogs and decided to get one trained i put his obedience on him and basics and let a trainer finsh i will always send one to be fined tuned.i like mine because he hunts on his own or if he needs a had from me will listen.but every one is differant.but i do believe if you buy a olded dog trained you dont have the same bond as raising them from a pup.kind of like having a kid and send off to private school all his life apossed to one u raised,
Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankscke123 View Post
well i always trained my dogs and decided to get one trained i put his obedience on him and basics and let a trainer finsh i will always send one to be fined tuned.i like mine because he hunts on his own or if he needs a had from me will listen.but every one is differant.but i do believe if you buy a olded dog trained you dont have the same bond as raising them from a pup.kind of like having a kid and send off to private school all his life apossed to one u raised,
Im not against a trained dog by any means but don't see anything wrong with a dog that gets the job done without ruining everyones hunt...Now I hear of this on many occasions, got a pup owned for a couple weeks, send it out for months and get it back. It doesn't even seem like it would be "your" dog more like another tool in the field...sure the dog may be lovable and good with the family but there is a bond that I think should come with the owner training his own dog...not that I wouldn't own a ribbon dog if I had the chance...but it wouldn't be my $ going into that dog
Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
So what is y'all's definition of a "good dog"?
A good dog IMO is a dog that makes its owner happy. Whats good for some may not be good for others. If the owner is happy its a good dog. To heck with what others think as long as the owner is happy with his dog. If it takes a multi $k dog to make a guy happy then more power to him but if a guy is happy with a less expensive or free dog then more power to him. Whatever makes the owner happy is a good dog no matter the cost or type of training. If your purpose for having a dog is to impress other people then you're missing the point completely.

Spunt this isnt a shot at you or anyone else so I hope it didnt sound that way. Just my take on it. To each his own.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I guess one has to ask theirself. Do you want a "good dog" or a "trained dog"
Old 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I guess one has to ask theirself. Do you want a "good dog" or a "trained dog"
What is the difference
Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

I want a trained dog, cause I know it will be a good dog.

When I was guiding, in my experiences, most of my customers appreciated my ribbon dog. We had 15 guides, so the spectrum of dogs ranged widely. The "rock" dogs were seldom praised. But the trained dogs were always praised. Not poking at anyone, just stating my experiences.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
What is the difference
I have a "good dog" Little king Charles spaniel. Sits on my lap everynight. Goes gets her little stuffed animal. But she is not trained to hunt. I guess it depends on ones definition of a "good dog"
Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

I hunt with a guy that paid 0 for his lab and trained it himself, and that dog will hunt/chase a cripple down until he gets it. They hunt a small lake and i watched that dog chase a cripple about 400 yards away that kept diving on him and the dog went under the water to get that bird. The dog like D's is like a machine and will pick up 2-3 ducks at a time. Oh and listens very well and this dog picks up i bet over 700 birds a year.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

1452435_604752289574428_1390092115_n.jpg

My "good" dog......this woodie did the "woodie" walk, he made it to timber about 70 yards in front the blind.

Quaid did not mark the bird, and I could not get him "back enough" so a pirouged over and let him hunt. He brought the bird right back after about 5 minutes, which is a lifetime when you can't see your buddy dog.

So, is he good or bad? His limitations are mine, plain and simple.

He is not going to win ribbons, but I know a good trainer will get more out of him.

I respect the hell out guys that can get that out a dog. I also know many that take advantage of people.

Choose your poison, but this discussion is apples and oranges
Old 12-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
That's just a description of your day to day with your personal dog, you only described that she "was trained by me she does what she was trained to do an thats to pick up ducks an geese", it's a nice animal I'm sure. But I'm still waiting on someone to tell me a true to life hunting scenario that really shows off a dogs trained or natural abilities and would make them say "now that's a good dog".

Let's see, I went duck hunting with someone, and their dog picked up every bird and brought it back to the blind. "Now that's a good dog."
Old 12-08-2013, 07:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
But I'm still waiting on someone to tell me a true to life hunting scenario that really shows off a dogs trained or natural abilities and would make them say "now that's a good dog".
Pssssh dats easy. My lab is full of natural ability. Being that our modern day dogs came from wolves, my dog is in touch with his wolf side. U will never have to dispatch a cripple. No ugly rung necks or chipped tooth biting heads. Nope, if a duck got any life left in him Amos will crush da life out dat thing and fast. His natural hunting ability is very keen. He can somehow manage to hunt down and kill every possum in da neighborhood and dutifully deliver em to hand. With pride too! Not only dat, remember he is very much in touch with his inner wolf, if any other dog gives him da stink eye he will go Michael Vick/Kujo in a split second and wreck shop. Now I dare say, is dat a good dog or what?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

I like to throw rocks . Keeps my arm in shape .
I used a trainer on my current dog and I should have just burnt my money .I actually think my dog was dumber when I picked him up from this trainer.And no it wasn't Raymond. I hated my dog for two yrs ,then bam he woke up and started acting rite. I throw rocks sometimes because its way easier for me to throw a rock then get my old butt out there and fetch .
Old 12-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
I like to throw rocks . Keeps my arm in shape .
I used a trainer on my current dog and I should have just burnt my money .I actually think my dog was dumber when I picked him up from this trainer.And no it wasn't Raymond. I hated my dog for two yrs ,then bam he woke up and started acting rite. I throw rocks sometimes because its way easier for me to throw a rock then get my old butt out there and fetch .
Yep, he's a Wonda Dog
Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yep, he's a Wonda Dog
Yep its a wonder I didn't get rid of him along time ago ....lmao
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
Yep its a wonder I didn't get rid of him along time ago ....lmao
Sometimes as you saw those "trained" dogs have a bad day to. Of course a certain someone on here told me Mason would be a better handler than me.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Just got through watching a 1 yr old fixed female dry hump my 10 y/o son on the living room floor. lmao for awhile. that cant be taught by no trainer.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
Just got through watching a 1 yr old fixed female dry hump my 10 y/o son on the living room floor. lmao for awhile. that cant be taught by no trainer.
And you didn't video it??
Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Sometimes as you saw those "trained" dogs have a bad day to. Of course a certain someone on here told me Mason would be a better handler than me.
Hey it happens ...
I saw that video of Mason working that dog ,looks like he had it down .
Dogs are just like people some listen and some are just plain hard headed .
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Sailfish

Well this was a great thread to pass a dreary day in the hundred acre wood!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Well this was a great thread to pass a dreary day in the hundred acre wood!
I was glued to the couch today...I agree