SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Redfish

Cash: 419
Default Oyster fishermen and local biologist agree tonging won't help oysters

What say you?

http://www.kplctv.com/story/35657842...t-help-oysters

I think I smell something...local oyster fisherman and "at least one local biologist" say nothing's wrong with the current admittedly declining stocks.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

I saw this on the news yesterday. Its was very biased. They interviewed one oyster fisherman and one biologist who were against it. They didn't mention any positive effects for sport fisherman.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Lmao
This is what you call
A political stunt

You know how many people know this guy and said he thinks it should be closed down ?

Or stop dredging ?

Dude probably getting death threats
Old 06-14-2017, 06:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

I think they took his (Kevin)comments out of context. Until the salinity is lowered in the lake the oysters will suffer. Stopping the dredging is a start but until the washout, nine mile, etc are rocked off the oysters may still suffer. Unless we keep getting plenty of rain, no drought, and no 100'+ months in summer.
I don't know Kevin S. But seems like they cut his statement short on the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Flounder

Cash: 539

Have they estimated how much it would cost for them to rock the ship channel right there?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post
I think they took his (Kevin)comments out of context. Until the salinity is lowered in the lake the oysters will suffer. Stopping the dredging is a start but until the washout, nine mile, etc are rocked off the oysters may still suffer. Unless we keep getting plenty of rain, no drought, and no 100'+ months in summer.
I don't know Kevin S. But seems like they cut his statement short on the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, I mean, he pretty much said "I don't think tonging is going to do any good", and then cited harvest numbers from a high year and the percent of the market stock that that represented.

Wouldn't be surprised if he has some skin in the game somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 621

I know this is an old thread, but when I came across this I had to post. This guy is basing his statements about dredging strictly on the number of sacks harvested. Dredging oysters and tonging oysters are different for more reasons than that. If you ever get near oyster dredges, you will see that dredging stirs up huge amounts of silt. That silt settles back onto the reef and under certain conditions will smother an oyster reef. Tonging will not do that. I have fished down current from boats tonging oysters and the silt created is next to nothing compared to dredges.

Also, if you could ever deplete an oyster population with tongs, you would notice the trend before it reached a critical state. In other words, the yield becomes too little and you move to another area. Tonging is hard work and you won't over work an area before you quit and move on. When the yield gets low for a dredge, they just cover more ground until they wipe out a reef.

Texas bays have been through this time and again. If a bay system is large enough, and the oystermen do a good job of seeding the leases, then they can manage it as a renewable resource much like farming crops. Big Lake is just not large enough to manage that way. West Cove is a lake in itself and certainly isn't large enough to absorb the affects of dredging.

I agree with his statements about closing the ship channel levee. What I don't understand is how he can condone dredging before that happens. You're pouring salt in a wound....no pun intended.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhead View Post
I know this is an old thread, but when I came across this I had to post. This guy is basing his statements about dredging strictly on the number of sacks harvested. Dredging oysters and tonging oysters are different for more reasons than that. If you ever get near oyster dredges, you will see that dredging stirs up huge amounts of silt. That silt settles back onto the reef and under certain conditions will smother an oyster reef. Tonging will not do that. I have fished down current from boats tonging oysters and the silt created is next to nothing compared to dredges.

Also, if you could ever deplete an oyster population with tongs, you would notice the trend before it reached a critical state. In other words, the yield becomes too little and you move to another area. Tonging is hard work and you won't over work an area before you quit and move on. When the yield gets low for a dredge, they just cover more ground until they wipe out a reef.

Texas bays have been through this time and again. If a bay system is large enough, and the oystermen do a good job of seeding the leases, then they can manage it as a renewable resource much like farming crops. Big Lake is just not large enough to manage that way. West Cove is a lake in itself and certainly isn't large enough to absorb the affects of dredging.

I agree with his statements about closing the ship channel levee. What I don't understand is how he can condone dredging before that happens. You're pouring salt in a wound....no pun intended.

This guy is just trying to be a puppet , many who know him have said ; He agreeed 100% to stop dredging.

But as you see when he makes a statement he changes his tune for political reason I guess !

Dredging is bad period !!

Glad it's no longer allowed