SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

I have eaten freshwater catfish belly's.
That is good in courtboullion.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
I took the survey and YES i think there should be a limit, I dont know what is should be. Why doesn't CCA get involved and do some studies? Could it be they are too busy having banquets and tournaments?
I agree it would be good to do a study and set a limit before they become overfished unlike we did with redfish or trout. The only reason i am a member of cca is the STAR. I asked my uncle, who is a marine biologist that studies speckled trout, what the CCA does and he said pretty much they are just another lobbyist group that does what ever the money says to. It would be nice if they actually did some conservation like their name implies
Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
i bet you don't think redfish and trout can be fished out with gillnets either huh..

Yes Gillnets would Hurt >>>GillNets R GONE....No way in OUR LIFE TIME OR OUR KIDS or THere KIDS will you fish out trout and reds with a Rod N reel....Not going to happen

you have no clue about tripletail why even get involved?

Why because there to that dont have a clue and want to set laws on something they dont have a clue about

Shrimp boats, commercial snapper boats, and recreational boats added together have a HUGE impact on snapper. Before the bay boat craze you could catch nice snapper at the tenaco's and north oil city, you can't do that now.

Bruce at any of my platforms I can sling Snapper from dusk to dawn 365 a year..... you might have to go out farther but that dont mean there is a shortage....BY No means....... I fly over two zones out here and never see boats fishing but on weekends in the summer..this is a big GULF.....Snapper are in by know means in danger

I took the survey and YES i think there should be a limit, I dont know what is should be. Why doesn't CCA get involved and do some studies? Could it be they are too busy having banquets and tournaments?
Im sure it will come
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

this is a discussion about triple tail.......Ray you are right, both the LA biologist and CCA admits they know little about this species. Right now we are borrowing research from our neighboring states. All this survey is for is to address the memberships thoughts on the subject.

And I agree with you Meaux.....there should be a limit in place to keep them from being over-fished. IMHO.....every species needs some sort of protection on it from man. Now whether the powers that be decide a limit of 5 or 25 is right, at least give em some protection.

W....there are no plans to lower limits on trout again. Calm down and discuss trout & snapper limits in another thread.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LaAngler
">
i bet you don't think redfish and trout can be fished out with gillnets either huh..

Yes Gillnets would Hurt >>>GillNets R GONE....No way in OUR LIFE TIME OR OUR KIDS or THere KIDS will you fish out trout and reds with a Rod N reel....Not going to happen

you have no clue about tripletail why even get involved?

Why because there to that dont have a clue and want to set laws on something they dont have a clue about

Shrimp boats, commercial snapper boats, and recreational boats added together have a HUGE impact on snapper. Before the bay boat craze you could catch nice snapper at the tenaco's and north oil city, you can't do that now.

Bruce at any of my platforms I can sling Snapper from dusk to dawn 365 a year..... you might have to go out farther but that dont mean there is a shortage....BY No means....... I fly over two zones out here and never see boats fishing but on weekends in the summer..this is a big GULF.....Snapper are in by know means in danger

Im sure it will come

Right on! I totally agree with you and that you are the TRUE voice of the LA sportsman!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
this is a discussion about triple tail.......Ray you are right, both the LA biologist and CCA admits they know little about this species. Right now we are borrowing research from our neighboring states. All this survey is for is to address the memberships thoughts on the subject.

And I agree with you Meaux.....there should be a limit in place to keep them from being over-fished. IMHO.....every species needs some sort of protection on it from man. Now whether the powers that be decide a limit of 5 or 25 is right, at least give em some protection.

W....there are no plans to lower limits on trout again. Calm down and discuss trout & snapper limits in another thread.

I myself really don’t care if they put a limit on Tripletail or not....I don’t fish them enough to care. My only problem is how can we say they need a limit? How do we know were hurting them? They migrate like ducks..... Unless we can prove it or state facts I don’t think we need to jump the gun on this! Lets save our estuaries instead of putting money in a study on a fish only few go after!

If all of a sudden HARDTAILS became a main course would we place a limit on these also?....

It’s just a topic of discussion but to let the public vote wheatear we need a limit on triple tail is useless...... I say show me where we need one and prove we need one and then let’s put it in place...... I voted to put one but I still think we jump the gun too much on fishing issues to quickly….. Save the estuaries and fish will survive
Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I myself really don’t care if they put a limit on Tripletail or not....I don’t fish them enough to care. My only problem is how can we say they need a limit? How do we know were hurting them? They migrate like ducks..... Unless we can prove it or state facts I don’t think we need to jump the gun on this! Lets save our estuaries instead of putting money in a study on a fish only few go after!

If all of a sudden HARDTAILS became a main course would we place a limit on these also?....

It’s just a topic of discussion but to let the public vote wheatear we need a limit on triple tail is useless...... I say show me where we need one and prove we need one and then let’s put it in place...... I voted to put one but I still think we jump the gun too much on fishing issues to quickly….. Save the estuaries and fish will survive
The estuaries...and our eroding marshes..this is the key and to me more important .... and where the focus should be.... if I'm not mistaken..didn't the Louisiana biologist state that lowering the limit on Calcasieu Lake would not be beneficial....but they did it anyway...I always thought that was just a step into making the limits even lower on big lake and the rest of the state in the future....so do they even listen to what the biologist say..no they don't...My opinion..it's all a political agenda supported by someone with a special interest.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
The estuaries...and our eroding marshes..this is the key and to me more important .... and where the focus should be.... if I'm not mistaken..didn't the Louisiana biologist state that lowering the limit on Calcasieu Lake would not be beneficial....but they did it anyway...I always thought that was just a step into making the limits even lower on big lake and the rest of the state in the future....so do they even listen to what the biologist say..no they don't...My opinion..it's all a political agenda supported by someone with a special interest.

Yes it is.... People with money that fish making the rules!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Took the survey.....I hope more research is done by biologist and the CCA before a campaign is started to place limits on tripletail....I support CCA, they have done alot for us, and I would think they would place more priority over research than a survey by fisherman.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

The problem is if you ask for a limit on tripletail their gonna give you something like a 3 or 5 fish limit. And if you know tripletail they move around. You might make 3 or 4 trips in the gulf and not see hardly any at all then one time find them everywhere and load the boat.

Yall start asking for a limit on a fish nobody knows about your not gonna be happy when you find a patch of grass with 100 fish under it and can only keep a couple. That entire gulf has tripletail floating around in it and there really isnt that many caught on a daily basis.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

i think some of the publicity that came out of lake borgne this year helped spark some of this debate also.....
Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
i think some of the publicity that came out of lake borgne this year helped spark some of this debate also.....
I agree, but look at texas they went from no limit to just three fish
Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
Took the survey.....I hope more research is done by biologist and the CCA before a campaign is started to place limits on tripletail....I support CCA, they have done alot for us, and I would think they would place more priority over research than a survey by fisherman.
CCA is doing this survey to determine if it is worth it for its members to urge LDWF to do a study on the fish. LDWF has a very small budget can't go study every fish out there unfortunately and they won't consider it basically unless forced to by someone else.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
CCA is doing this survey to determine if it is worth it for its members to urge LDWF to do a study on the fish. LDWF has a very small budget can't go study every fish out there unfortunately and they won't consider it basically unless forced to by someone else.

Drost....what do you think is more important…… Spending money on a tripe tail research or spending money improving our estuary and inshore fishing....

I wish the CCA would vote on that..... I don’t think Triple tail is that important right now..... We are still suffering from Hurricane erosion and Man destroying our marshes by controlling waterways.....
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Red Snapper

"improving our estuary and inshore fishing"

Pretty vague statement there. How would CCA be able to accomplish this. You need to be more specific on what you think needs to be done to improve said estuary....ie.....costal erosion sediment plantings??? Rebuilding marshes......etc?

CCA is just doing independent study....costs nothing.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Great White

The Port of Lake Charles is helping. I saw a presentation last year where they are
having issues of where to pump sediment when they dredge the ship channel.
There is a couple of large land owners north of Hackberry who is letting them pump
sediment on their eroded marshland, creating more natural wetlands like it was before
all the erosion took place from dredging the ship channel.
But that is only one small area. We need more. The guy who gave the presentation
said they are wanting more place to pump sediment, but some land owners won't let
them. It is a win win situation if everyone jumps on that band wagon.
Pumping sediment back from where it came from is a good idea.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
The Port of Lake Charles is helping. I saw a presentation last year where they are
having issues of where to pump sediment when they dredge the ship channel.
There is a couple of large land owners north of Hackberry who is letting them pump
sediment on their eroded marshland, creating more natural wetlands like it was before
all the erosion took place from dredging the ship channel.
But that is only one small area. We need more. The guy who gave the presentation
said they are wanting more place to pump sediment, but some land owners won't let
them. It is a win win situation if everyone jumps on that band wagon.
Pumping sediment back from where it came from is a good idea.
Yeah but that land is pretty much useless after they pump dridge into it, thats why nobody wants it on their land.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHog View Post
Yeah but that land is pretty much useless after they pump dridge into it, thats why nobody wants it on their land.

Useless after they pump it? Why? Just curious. Where studying this same topic, about pumping sediment back into the marshlands. Somewhere in East LA they are making a beach to help stop the erosion, by pumping sediment back.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Great White

It worked well under 210 bridge, by PPG. That area looks great now.
They are just making it like it was before it eroded away.
They will still have ponds and stuff.
If they don't do something now, it will be all lake one day.
Maybe not in my lifetime, but in Fool's lifetime.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Useless after they pump it? Why? Just curious. Where studying this same topic, about pumping sediment back into the marshlands. Somewhere in East LA they are making a beach to help stop the erosion, by pumping sediment back.
I fly over that area all the time when I crew change. It is East of SW Pass.