SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,286
Default 4-11-15 Crab Haul

We to the rock and caught 12 dozen in about 2 hours. were catching 7 or 8 at a time and had to pick the bigger ones.

When you leave Josephs Harbor and get to the T, take a right and either weir was producing. The Mud Hole also but it was raining so I wanted to stay close to the launch. Used turkey necks.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Flounder

Cash: 703

Thanks for the report
Old 04-12-2015, 06:43 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

nice! Were the crabs ya'll caught pretty full?

Last week it was a full moon and the crabs we caught were VERY full of meat.

I always wondered if the old saying about a full moon = full crabs was true.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Redfish

They were pretty full and we ate them tonight. I think when they molt they do not eat and are empty when they lose their shell. My 2 cents worth.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by big nd fan View Post
They were pretty full and we ate them tonight. I think when they molt they do not eat and are empty when they lose their shell. My 2 cents worth.
actually they are stuff themselves and get full of fat just before molting and then they don't or can't eat until the shell hardens again so they have to live off the stored fat they have. by the time they are able to bite again they are usually devoid of any fat. the area conditions on food supply before molting decides how full or skinny they might be so if the molt without much fat they are kites afterwards.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Full Crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
actually they are stuff themselves and get full of fat just before molting and then they don't or can't eat until the shell hardens again so they have to live off the stored fat they have. by the time they are able to bite again they are usually devoid of any fat. the area conditions on food supply before molting decides how full or skinny they might be so if the molt without much fat they are kites afterwards.
Hmm that makes sense, I never thought about the molting process contributing to fullness. Don't crabs have some type of red marking right before they molt, I forgot what crabbers call them.. Red something?
Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,020

crabs are absolutely more full just before molting. Look for 'dirty' crabs, ie those that are stained from being in the shell a long time.
'Clean' shells mean recent molts and less full, sometimes even very empty with a clean shell.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Hmm that makes sense, I never thought about the molting process contributing to fullness. Don't crabs have some type of red marking right before they molt, I forgot what crabbers call them.. Red something?
yep the back flipper fins and the very edge of the flap where it joins the shell turns a red color just on the very edge to let the guys know which ones to put aside for the shedding tables.

I knew what to look for and never was still never very good at spotting them without picking it up and checking them, I would miss half of them but I know guys that can see that red line from 10 ft away
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Crabs

One place in crab @ produces some very very dirty crabs, what do y'all do with these crabs before you boil them? These crabs look like they buried themselves for weeks.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,707

Nice job, Big ND
Old 04-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
One place in crab @ produces some very very dirty crabs, what do y'all do with these crabs before you boil them? These crabs look like they buried themselves for weeks.
the dirty look on the outside is meaningless but if you are talking about the inside, just put them in tap water for about 30 minutes the chlorine makes them flush out the gills and intestinal tracts so they taste better without mud if they have ben in traps or rough dirty water for some time, especially if they come from trawling.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Redfish

While we are on he subject, I have had several people tell me the marinade their chicken quarter in garlic powder for a day before they crab and it catches more crabs.

Anyone try this or is it BS?