SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 04-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893
Default Big Lake report 4/21

Put in in West Cove yesterday morning hoping to hit the reefs in West Cove for some early morning topwater action. The wind was howling pretty good out of the north/northeast. The Cove was rough and really dirty so headed to the south side of Rabbit Island to try to get out of the wind. No luck there so went into Oyster Bayou to fish, no luck there. The wind gradually switched to the east so fished some cuts on the south bank of West Cove and caught one flounder. Went for a ride to the ship channel and down to the jetties. The tide by this time was going out pretty good and had decent water toward the end of the jetties but still no luck on plastics and gulps. Went out around the jetties to the west side and had some nice green water a couple hundred yards west along the beach. Drifted along the beach in 5-7 ft of water and threw several different plastics and suspending baits with no luck. Went back to West Cove and picked up 2 more flounder. Called it a day at around 4:00.

I hadn't heard about the big rain in Lake Charles on Sunday night, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone. Water was muddy everywhere in West Cove and the ship channel except at the mouth. The NOAA weather forecast was "east winds around 10 knots". At 10:45 it was blowing from the east at 16, gusting to 22. I hate weather forecasters. If you are a weather forecaster, I hope you die in a fire.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

lol. Glad I'm not a weatherman. But there really wasn't a whole lot of rain Sunday night but the wind BLEW! They said straight line winds 50-60 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

Sunday's forecast looks promising considering what we have been used to...
Old 04-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Redfish

It's just so damn frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I've cancelled trips because the forecast looked bad and the weather was actually much better and visa-versa.

They can't get the forecast right for the next day, yet want us to believe all of their doom and gloom predictions about global climate change (or whatever they're calling it now) in the years to come. I hate weather forecasters as much as politicians.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
lol. Glad I'm not a weatherman. But there really wasn't a whole lot of rain Sunday night but the wind BLEW! They said straight line winds 50-60 mph.

So you think all that fresh dirty water is from the rains a week ago?

Where the hell would the trout be right now? Offshore, on the beaches?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishionado View Post
So you think all that fresh dirty water is from the rains a week ago?

Where the hell would the trout be right now? Offshore, on the beaches?

Yes. The Calcasieu river is still very high and very muddy. As well as the creeks and bayous that feed it. Until all of that goes down the water will not get clear.

The trout are there. You just have to be able to find decent water and bait.

And be there when the fish want to bite, naturally.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

With all the rain/winds Ive delegated putting my boat up till mid May, no sense in going when its crappy conditions, low salinity, winds, muddy water

Give it 3-4 weeks things will turn
Old 04-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

So W and J Adams must be fishing Sabine???
Old 04-22-2015, 05:19 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
So W and J Adams must be fishing Sabine???

lol. These guys are acting like BL is as fresh as Sabine is right now.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

I decided to take my boat out on Sunday since it was so nice. I didn't fish but just went for a ride up the Calcasieu River. Left from my house and went pretty far up the east fork. The current was ripping on the river and the level was very high. In some areas it was over the bank. When I went through the salt water barrier the current was moving so fast that my boat was moving around. Kina like when you drive through a tug boat prop wash. That's how much water is pouring into lake Charles and in turn into Big Lake.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Redfish

I read an article by Jeff Poe today on Louisiana Sportsman. He said they're still catching fish all over the lake with 1/16 ounce jig heads fished very slow. Call me a skeptic.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Redfish

Headknocker

I guess I'm not a sceptic anymore after seeing W's post.

Words cannot express my frustration with that G-D Lake .
Old 04-23-2015, 06:03 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:

How often do you fish the lake? And how long have you been fishing the lake?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:38 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
How often do you fish the lake? And how long have you been fishing the lake?

I've been fishing the lake for more than 10 years, but not very frequently. I know where all the major reefs and spots are, but always seem to choose the wrong damn area.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Yall overthinking this trout and rain thing. Them fish don't just swim 10 miles to the gulf every time the salinity drops from a little rainfall. That water under the surface got plenty of salt in it. Get a heavy weight and put some shrimp on the bottom
Old 04-23-2015, 07:47 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I've been fishing the lake for more than 10 years, but not very frequently. I know where all the major reefs and spots are, but always seem to choose the wrong damn area.

Here's what I do, maybe it'll help you, maybe it won't. But I haven't been fishing BL as long as you have.

Be prepared to burn some gas. Pay attention to wind and tide and current and everything. Find the cleanest water possible. Stick and move. If you get to an area and water is muddy or there's no bait moving around, make a move. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Try new things....baits, areas, techniques.

Granted, I've only been fishing BL for like 2 1/2 years but I've been able to put some solid days together and haven't been skunked in quite a while. I was out there Sunday and caught some. Didn't load down the boat but had 6 nice trout.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429793195.738200.jpg

Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:

Man your taking the fun out of it...........

I drive 3.5 hrs each way and I enjoy just being on the water. Even days I don't catch I leave happy because I learned something.

Last time I was down there dint catch but 2, but Bob showed me a new spot of the channel, and I showed him a spot on the east bank.

Time before that I didn't catch anything, but the tide was so low and N wind blowing it pushed all the water out, I was able to get a good look at some of the marshes I like to fish (No water).

Time before that W and I went all over that lake and then some and only got 2 reds, but I learned, I was on the water.

Ya know when my son and I are out and we are not having much luck, my 12yr old young man has these words of advice for me

"Dad, this is why its called fishin, and not catching"

Have fun with this my friend, don't let it get you to the point you curse the lake, its no fun then. Every time your in that lake make it a goal to learn SOMETHING.

You cant compare yourself to the likes of W and other GUIDES...... this is what they do to put $$ on the table, they are on the water daily, client or not, they have their own network, guides talk to guides DAILY. Ill bet you 100 doughnuts W talks to 3-4 other guides DAILY, as well they contact him daily.

IF Im not mistaken W posted he had a cancelation on Friday and it was open, take him up on it, go with him and talk his ear off. Even if you don't catch but a few you will learn something. I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

Had a cancelation for this Fri
$550 up to 3

Last edited by marty f; 04-23-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Redfish

Thanks for the advice guys. I've thought about taking a guided trip to learn some new spots and techniques, but I don't want to piss off a guide by going with him and then he sees me in the spot a couple days later in my boat. I respect these guys and realize this is their livelihood. I'd never follow or shadow them, that's just wrong. I'm a courteous fisherman and if I see people catching fish, I don't crowd them. I may stop and fish the area, but I give people their space (unlike the a-holes in Vermillion Bay).

I'm just frustrated and venting. I read everything I can about trout fishing but still can't figure these damn fish out. I realize I don't spend as much time on the water as the guides or people who fish a couple times a week, but damn, I should be doing better than I am.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I've thought about taking a guided trip to learn some new spots and techniques, but I don't want to piss off a guide by going with him and then he sees me in the spot a couple days later in my boat. I respect these guys and realize this is their livelihood. I'd never follow or shadow them, that's just wrong. I'm a courteous fisherman and if I see people catching fish, I don't crowd them. I may stop and fish the area, but I give people their space (unlike the a-holes in Vermillion Bay).

I'm just frustrated and venting. I read everything I can about trout fishing but still can't figure these damn fish out. I realize I don't spend as much time on the water as the guides or people who fish a couple times a week, but damn, I should be doing better than I am.
March and April are some of the toughest months to catch fish consistently on the lake, unless you are on it several times a week
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
. I've thought about taking a guided trip to learn some new spots and techniques, but I don't want to piss off a guide by going with him and then he sees me in the spot a couple days later in my boat.
I guess that's where Im lucky, Most guides there focus on Specs, Im a Reds fisherman. In the off chance W comes rolling up to where Im at catching Reds, Id wave him over and and say dig in! or let him know Im not catching crap!