SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 10-12-2018, 12:08 AM
Redfish

Cash: 691

Man, you guys in Florida be warned. The hurricane that just hit, started here and it was nasty here about a week ago. Today another depression just started and we really only got until about 11am of sunlight and then got hit with the best rain I've seen in my 11 years here. Super high wind, just nasty weather we usually don't see. I hope this one doesn't come together and start heading north or it might be a repeat of what just happened.

But, before the storm hit, in the 3 hours of pretty weather we had, I managed to get all the console pieces cut out of corecell. We got half of these glassed as well, and all the glass cut, but the weather made me run at the end and I didn't get pictures.

And then we decided to make the back door smaller. I was going to go with a meter (3 feet 3 inches for us Mericans) but we decided it was ugly and we are going to take it down to 80cm (2 feet 8 inches in Merican). We are going with a single too instead of a double because that's just easier. We can still fit motor blocks through the door at 80cm, it'll be a little tighter, but hopefully we don't have to do that too often. This is rough, but here's how it looks now. Harold added the squares in the top corners because he wants to try a rounded top door, but if that doesn't work we'll just make it simple. He wanted to play with it, happy workers move faster so why not. I wanted square...

Tomorrow I'm headed back to San Jose to do legal BS, so I'll try to get some more pictures up here on Saturday!
http://www.queposfishadventure.com
Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 AM
Redfish

BigGrin

Fairly productive day. Alot of the stuff we are doing now doesn't really show up in pictures. We patched all the bad wood in the cabin roof with corecell, cut the foam to fit and glued it in with cabosil/resin. Tomorrow we'll get the final 1708 layer over it and the roof will be done. We took out the AC out of the top of the cabin so we could build the back windows. Got both windows cut, and then got the door cut too. We are going to do double doors, a single would be just too big and would be terrible to open and close. We made the top outside corner of the windows curved, I probably could have done a longer radius on the curve, but it's done and I like it so it's going to stay.

And then Harold thought he would be able to get the foam out of the two layers of glass with a router. I didn't think it would work, but he pulled it off. We took out an inch of foam core around where the door goes and replaced it with cedar so we can screw in door hinges. And then we took a half inch out around the top and bottom of the door and around the windows, where we will replace that with cabosil/resin/glass strands putty that we made. We got the wood in but it was after dark, and we started with the rest but didn't get done. There was light rain all day, so I didn't get to glass all the foam for the console. We can work in the rain, but it slows us down as I have alot of tables that aren't under the roof. And we worked on the back wall a long time. The boat isn't level, so we had to do it with all measurements. We'll get the boat level soon though, that'll make everything easier.

Here's Harold taking out the foam core with the router and not hitting the sides! Too much time using power tools...

Old 11-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Redfish

Having trouble getting in the groove, but we got a little more done. It's kind of like a shotgun approach right now, we keep starting things and then starting other things, I need to get more focused and start finishing stuff. We had Coast Guard inspections last week across the fleet, so that seriously slowed us down, and then we had a pair of motors blow up, and a transmission go out, and a boat hit a log. So it's been a fun week. Hopefully this week I can post some finished projects.

Here's a drone shot of where we are working. Reminds me of the happy ending in Shawshank redemption:

Here's the console upstairs for the electronics. This was from about a week ago, we've already got two layers of fairing done now.

And we replaced alot of the roof of the cabin with foam core and that is all done. The original had some sewed vinyl as a headliner. I can't do that, so we did a grid of 1 by 2's and we are going to do a thing glass sheet on the table for a headliner. We are going to angle the upper corners to put in lights and speakers. That'll make more sense when I shoot a picture. Here's the grid we did on the roof:

And I decided against my ice storage upstairs. We are going to instead just make benchs, and under the benches we are going to have our inflatable rafts and life jackets.

That is a picture from 5 minutes ago. That will all be glassed in before the end of the day though.

Harol is borrowing my crew right now working on a roof, but that should be done this week. Hopefully we can find a groove and get this boat in the water and fishing. I'm aiming for February 1st, and I have already sold a few trips, so I really hope I don't miss. When we start finishing more stuff, I'll post more pictures.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,912

Good looking work

We are headed to Costa Rica after Christmas and Quepos is our last stop. Was going to try for roosters one day and offshore another. You have any connections to guides for either?
Old 11-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Redfish

Mostly fairing lately on the boat. Not too much to show, but we get the top wrap around bench installed, we are going to have to cut out a few hatches. On the left I'm planning on putting all the life jackets and then up front under that one the inflatable life raft. We need two, one will be in the box on the bow, but the other one is in a bag.

And just being honest, I'm not 100 percent happy with how the electronics console looks. I like the idea of having a ton of space to mount everything, but it would have been prettier if I made it less wide and put it in the middle. But then it would be harder to do the cables and stuff. I stuck it on the right side, and then I'm going to make a huge area to put cables in going down to the motors and batteries so that it's easy to replace stuff quickly. If it was a low use private boat I would do it different, but I know there will be days when its dark and raining and I have to change a cable, so I want it to be easy to fix. Hopefully with everything mounted it'll look a little smaller. It's just a lot of blank space now.

If nothing else I took out several hundred pounds. Also with all the benches and everything being one piece, there are no more screws to rot the floor with. Not one screw is being used upstairs now, and everything I put in is foam and very light...
Old 12-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Redfish

Still doing alot of sanding. I have some decent pictures of the interior I'll try to post in a bit. But we started on the top. Used my old 2 inch crown formula to cut some plywood jigs and then line them up:

Then we put some foam on top of them and stuck the foam together with Cabosil.

Then here is the tricky part, we propped up the side so it was flat, and glassed one side. Then we flipped it over and let it be curved like the jig and we fiberglassed the other side. When we fiberglassed the second side, we pulled the foam down with thin wire to the jig. After the second side dried, you can pull the wire out leaving very minimal damage. The idea is the foam with one side glassed is very flexible, but once you glass the second side it will not move at all, and will hold it's shape very well.

And then we put some 3m microglobes on the top part to get some sanding in. Probably jumped the gun a little, I want to make the edges 2 inch thick so it look thicker as a whole, and then we need to make a bump where the radar mounts so we can hide the cable up there. We'll get that done soon. I dig through the phone and see if I can find some cabin pictures...

Old 12-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Redfish

I guess not too much to show. We built some benches on the sides

And then we cut some holes in the top of those benches. We don't have to be too exact because we are putting an awesome big pad on top of the benches, and then another on the wall so usually all this will be covered. You can also see we built a wire chase in the corner of the boat and then we made the top corners of the boat angled and hollow for the lights. I didn't want anything under the middle as that's a pain to get to, but the corners will be nice. We got some nice color changing LED's for the cabin, the cockpit and the bridge. We got all our LED's already from our friend Larry who has helped me a ton on this build at Yacht Supply Depot in Pompano Florida. If only Larry sold chilling plates for my fridges, I'd be set. But everything else he has! The starboard side corner wire chase runs straight from the motor room under the floor right to the controls upstairs. Should make it easy to wire this thing and change stuff when it goes bad!

Then stuck another piece of foam below the holes as door jams.

And then took the part we cut out and made doors I hate hinges, so they just sit there, but again, there will be a big pad.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,277

Awesome work as always Capt. One question: What do you hate about hinges?

Ok, 2 questions: Are you going to cut little finger holes in the doors to open them easier, or just grow your fingernails really long? Lol