SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 656
Default GPS/fishfinder Thoughts

Looking for input from you guys on a new GPS/fishfinder unit. Only plan to use it on BL or inland waters nearby. Hoping to keep it under +/-$700. I know everyone has their preferences, but, would like to hear all opinions. Specifically does anyone have any experience with the Raymarine Dragonfly? I have not decided on one yet so can be swayed.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

lowrance Hds gen 2 touch or the elite series.

I have the hds 7 touch. i love it!!
Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
lowrance Hds gen 2 touch or the elite series.

I have the hds 7 touch. i love it!!
I went with the elite 5 and really like it a lot but wish I could have afforded to get the 7 or 8 inch screen version. they are well worth the extra money because its kinda hard to see gps tracking info on a small 5 inch screen, but the fish finder part is great and very easy to see.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I have heard raymarine are difficult to use. I have no experience with them however. Ive owned garmin, lowrance, and simrad. The simrad is my favorite out of the three, but there is nothing wrong with the other two.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

I had a Lowrance and now have Garmin. Garmin is hands down more user friendly and has better stock charts that come with the unit. However, if you want to upgrade to a mapping chip there a lot more options for Lowrance units. I also think that the depth finder and sidescan on the HDS units is better. If it were me, I'd go with Garmin. Simple easy interface. I get the tides, weather, Satellite radio, have the NEMA 2000 connected to my motor and can monitor on the unit. Its all right there easy easy. I am sure if I were using a lowrance every day I wouldn't mind it but when I use the one in my buddies boat I want to punch it often.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Flounder

Cash: 564

I'm using the Lowrance HDS 7 gen2 Touch with structurescan and really like it but I agree with Marque about the stock maps not being the best. It took me some time but I was able to figure out how to download Google earth (Youtube and free download) on my unit and I find that much better than the Insight stock mapping. Another thing I don't like about my lowrance is I find it hard to see the screen in bight sunlight. Besides that I'm please with it.