SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710
Default Barometric pressure and fishing?

How many of you guys use/take note of the barometric P. to decide if your going fishing on a certain day?

Are do u go bc its a nice day.? Of course some of use go just to go...

how much these systems affects trout, where r they in the water column etc... when one of these systems approach etc.
Its pretty interesting info!

Fair weather HP system
Cloudy, raining LP system
Sky starts to cloud up--moving from HP-LP
sky clears up moving from LP-HP system.

This is something that interests me. So ive been reading up on it.

sent from my Galaxy NOTE II

Last edited by alphaman; 06-19-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

I fish protected water in winter. The only time I don't bother to fish is immediately after a front when the wind is humping and the sky is clear. Historically little success. When the wind calms and there are bluebird skies (high pressure), we catch, not as good as later when easterlies and southerlies blow, but catch nonetheless.

In fall, action is almost totally predicated on tides - falling tide means white shrimp coming out of the marsh.

This time of year, I don't give BP a second thought. Every area has good wind direction and bad wind direction. That's what I go on.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

high pressure will definitely make a bite slower, but if High pressure is the only bad weather factor it wont stop me from fishing
Old 06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Barometric pressure definitely has an effect on freshwater fishing, and we've consistently done much better on the day before a front passes (low pressure). The day after a front passes (high pressure) often makes for poor freshwater fishing. If my work schedule allows, I'll try and hit the water the day before a front passes or wait it out for a couple of days for the high pressure to move after a front passes.

Saltwater fishing seems to depend less on pressure. When planning a trip, I look for a good chance of tidal movement, decent salinity, and calm enough conditions to make it enjoyable (or at least safe and tolerable) to be on the water. If the water is moving, we can usually figure out how and where to catch fish. If we tried to optimize all the conditions (including barometric pressure), we might never go fishing.

We're also more patient than most and usually only fish two or three spots per trip rather than burning lots of gas and running all over the place. Wait a bit and there will usually be a spot within a mile or maybe without moving where moving water and bait will bring the fish we're hoping for. However, I am not a speck expert by any means, and we're just as happy with a box full of redfish, sheephead, drum, flounder and gafftops as a box full of specks. I'm out there looking for moving water and bottom features: holes in flats, oyster beds, underwater rock lines, points, flats at the edge of channels, etc.

We prefer to take what the day is giving us, prefer to spend more time fishing and catching fish, and less time riding around or waiting at home in front of the TV waiting on perfect conditions.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

I agree with Mathgeek on this. I used to fish freshwater only. Numerous times as a thunder storm was heading our way the fish would turn on like crazy. Seemed like after the storm the fish would shut off.

Same is true for deer hunting. An impending storm will have them moving. I have not found them to move much during heavy rain, but right after a heavy rain is a really good time to be in the stand.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

Agree with all above.

Definitely watch it for freshwater.

I find it very interesting to read some of the theories on how the swim bladder acts like an equilibrium, and when the pressure rises it makes then lethargic, when it drops or stabilizes they get their energy back. Some people with sensitive sinuses experience similar feelings when the pressure changes, people with joint problems feel it too.

IMO it definitely has an affect, never notice it much for coastal fishing though due to other factors playing into their feeding habits.