SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Old 10-12-2015, 12:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I've had a lot of success with a minimal amount of setting goals and then keeping records to see if I reach the goal. The attached pic shows my mountain biking/kayaking goal and progress for the second half of 2015. In the past, I've used weight goals. Nothing like setting a goal and charting one's progress to keep the motivation up.

I'm posting the current chart to social media once a week, and a few friends are being consistent in offering encouragement and feedback, usually along the lines of not letting the progress drop below the line keeping pace with the goal.

I think the science is pretty solid showing that aerobic/cardio is better at achieving and maintaining healthier weights and BMI in the long run. The science is also pretty solid showing the risk factors for diabetes are also better mitigated with aerobic/cardio/reduced calories. If lifting weights does not reduce your BMI or waistline, you are likely not reducing your diabetes risks or quality of life and health in the long run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mountain Biking.jpg (47.5 KB, 525 views)
Old 10-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 708

You are right that cardio in any form is healthier in the long run...my problem is having had several knee surgeries(13) and couple back surgeries...I am getting past that with the kayak...I am gearing up to buy a bicycle and eventually I will begin running again.

And I like the chart...goals are key to any successful workout!! Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redalertlures View Post
You are right that cardio in any form is healthier in the long run...my problem is having had several knee surgeries(13) and couple back surgeries...I am getting past that with the kayak...I am gearing up to buy a bicycle and eventually I will begin running again.

And I like the chart...goals are key to any successful workout!! Thanks again!
I hear you. Most of my exercise is tailored around the limitations of my age: mostly back and joint issues. Biking, kayaking, and walking are the easiest things on my back and joints. I can also tolerate about an hour of tennis each week. My body does not hold up well to running or basketball any more.

A key point in my workout philosophy is NO PAIN - NO PAIN.

Sustainability is very important in any program. Injuries or just not liking it are not conducive to sustainability. If it hurts I and find some other way to accomplish the goal. At my age, real pain means something is wrong.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

at 51 something usually is wrong............all the time.........LOL
I admire you guys.........the older I get the less I care to do. Summer helps me because a have a large place to keep up.......winter is okay because I duck hunt old school style.

but I can go days without really anything........

I just can't seem to get it done.

I'm not over weight per se, but I am heavier than I have ever been and stamina is just not there.

I know I will have to get off my butt sooner than later.
Thanks to threads like this to remind me
Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
at 51 something usually is wrong............all the time.........LOL
I admire you guys.........the older I get the less I care to do. Summer helps me because a have a large place to keep up.......winter is okay because I duck hunt old school style.

but I can go days without really anything........

I just can't seem to get it done.

I'm not over weight per se, but I am heavier than I have ever been and stamina is just not there.

I know I will have to get off my butt sooner than later.
Thanks to threads like this to remind me
It ain't much, but I keep some free weights and grip strengtheners near the spot where I sit and watch football. My wife does the elliptical while watching her favorite programs. (I don't like the elliptical. It doesn't hurt, but it is boring.) I used to jump rope a lot for indoor exercise, but the back and joints don't allow that any more.

I've also started to ride my bike instead of sitting and watching my teens' sports practices. It didn't take too much effort to find decent bike paths (some off road) near their practice locations, so I throw my bike onto a hitch mounted bike carrier and hit the trails while playing taxi driver. It's more work to throw the kayak on top, but there's also water near most of their practice locations, and kayaking is pretty good exercise and a nice change of pace.

I actually prefer biking and kayaking in the fall, winter, and early spring.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

Hey Red, a few thoughts for you.
First, congrats on your decision. It all starts there, then the action you take.
What will I/you/we do differently tomorrow to end up in a better place?

Set some short term goals as others have said. Say "I will do "X" for the next 30 days."
30 days, bring it on, right? 30 day goals are manageable and attainable.

Intake:
NO empty calories for 30 days. NO wine, beer, alcohol, sodas, even the diet ones. NO flash carbs like white flour anything, white rice, sugar, no processed packaged stuff. You get the idea. NO candy, etc. NO 'energy' drinks either.
YES to lean protein, every meal. Also lots of fresh veggies (not smothered in butter or sauces) and complex carbs, sweet potatoes - (no butter or brown sugar though), brown rice, whole wheat pasta. LOTS of water. Small snacks in between meals can include sliced turkey or roast beef, (low cal & have lots of protein) and add in some carrots and celery to munch as a snack. A handful (not a bucketful) of almonds, or pecans. Maybe a protein bar. And again LOTS of water. Your body runs on protein and protein will keep the hunger edge in check.

Metabolism: Find something that you can do regularly that bumps up your metabolism. If you are doing zero now, then start out in first gear and build from there. Easiest start is a brisk walk for a distance that gets your system cranking at a level up or two. Even when you get back from the walk, your system keeps burning. Stationary, bikes, elliptical, weight interval training are all good. Fine to mix up your routines, and move up the difficulty scale at your pace. Do a daily log of what you did and the length of the workout. Steady 30 mins of 'something' each day, is better than just 2 hrs on Sat. Do the warm up and stretching needed before you start any workout routine. Core strength and flexibility are important to keep in the routine.

The first step to weight loss starts with intake. Put the right fuel in your furnace and watch the weight fall off. Supplement that with some extra physical activity as mentioned above. Normal people simply cannot burn enough calories to make up for a 'bad' diet. Sure Olympic athletes can burn 6,000 calories a day, but that likely excludes everyone on this board.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 838

A lot of reading of this thread and a lot of great things you guys are doing!

One thing I notice is a lot of people are saying they have joint, knee, back issues which is common just remember to stretch this will help so much! With all these issues! What I mean about is stretching should be 30 mins of you have any of these issues!

Supplements are important for joint pain! Fish oil is huge in this and should be taken everyday! It's cheap and you can buy a huge bottle from SAMs or Costco for cheap! Also apple cider vinegar is great with joints will help them loosen up and feel better when performing workouts

Do not cut out red wine if you like to drink! Don't kill 2-3 bottles a night but 1-2 glasses of red wine is great and should be added to dinner if your a drinker!

Yaking-upper body or bottom if you have paddled yak
Biking lower body a lot of pressure on lower back

Consider out the box on new exercises. Boxing, HIIT, some crossfit, boot camps, etc

You HAVE TO STRETCH THOUGH.

I've have a bunch of 50+ lady's and guys who said they can't do boxing or kick boxing because of joints-back-shoulders-wrist-ankles-arthritis-Gout etc etc. Now if you have had serious accident where you broke your back or had knee surgery there are different steps. But for someone who just hasn't been very active you have to start and work
Your self into it. My 50+ members haven taken 1-2-3 weeks to get there body to pain free and few have taken a little longer. Beat through the pains don't over do your self but break the pain and push a little deeper each exercise session!

If it's been 10 years since you've done any style of exercise then your joints and muscle memory will tell you, your just crazy! It takes a average person 15-30 days to break your body into wanting to exercise but once your past that the exercise is easy.

Now the diet is always complicated! But unless your a fighter, competing or training for a event it's really not that hard just have to push and not give up. 8 out of 10 will give up on a 30 day challenge!

Good luck with all
Your goals guys

Sent from the baddest GYM in La
Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Great advice and once again thank you all for your support and kind words.

I have an appt friday to see someone because I think I have a tumor recurrence...

In 1997 I had a softball sized tumor removed from my right colon and in the past 2 to 3 weeks I feel something there...in the same spot...

I beat it once, I will beat it again...

BTW I am down to 309 from a start of 321 so I am getting some of the weight off...

Thanks again Gents
Old 11-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 1,138

redalert, I wanted to recommend a book for you called the "4 Hour Body". The weight loss program recommended in the book is called the "Slow Carb Diet" and I highly recommend it. Long story short, it is a high protein, low carb diet that allows you to eat quite a bit as long as you are sticking to the diet's protocol. Basically you cut out the grains and the sugar and eat meat, beans, and veggies. What I like about it is that you can actually eat food you like and feel full, and actually stick to the diet year round.

Good luck!

www.redtunashirtclub.com - Proud SaltyCajun Sponsor!
Old 12-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tuna View Post
redalert, I wanted to recommend a book for you called the "4 Hour Body". The weight loss program recommended in the book is called the "Slow Carb Diet" and I highly recommend it. Long story short, it is a high protein, low carb diet that allows you to eat quite a bit as long as you are sticking to the diet's protocol. Basically you cut out the grains and the sugar and eat meat, beans, and veggies. What I like about it is that you can actually eat food you like and feel full, and actually stick to the diet year round.

Good luck!
I appreciate the info Red Tuna...

I plateaued at 298 and cant seem to go lower, but my energy level has
greatly in creased. Im trying to stick with going to the gym, but when you have to start over from scratch its not easy. I lifted weights and did the bodybuilding thing for a long time...seems like it was 3 lifetimes ago...

But I am still at it!!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 640

When you change your daily eating habits from great tasting junk food to healthy clean food, your body reacts to the adjustment with Headaches and feeling like your in a fog.

Do yourself a favor, and either get a B-12 Shot once a week for 12 weeks, or go to the health food store and buy some Liquid B-12 and drink a capful first thing in the morning.

Buy a fitness tracker, get on myfitnesspal.com to track your food, and try to do some form of exercise for 1 hour everyday. A person with a 3.0/hr walking pace can walk about 3.2 miles.

When you get in from work, do not sit down in your chair, and turn on the TV. Put your tennis shoes on, and do something for an hour.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 417

Good luck bro. Keep it up. Hardest part is sticking through the first 3-4 months to make it a habit!

I was never really "out of shape" but it was a real eye opener when I finished college football at 320+ and had to adjust my lifestyle and stop eating everything in sight constantly. 6 years later and I walk around between 245-260 and stay lean.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

how's your progress goin... I'm following myfinesspal app and I'm down 30lbs so far, but i cannot exercise due to health reasons.

good luck to ya!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 415

This thread caught my eye - I am sending "healthy vibes" your way my friend. Please check back in and let us know how you're doing. You're not alone on this journey, and I hope you're doing okay! I like the advice about "Saying no" to empty calories and stoking up on the lean protein. But, the important thing is: Please check in. Lots of people cheering you on!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Hope your still doing good red. I'm down about 30/35 pounds just from cleaning up my diet,not over eating, and cutting out soft drinks. I find portion control to be the hardest because of our amazing Cajun cooking. I always want to eat until I'm about to bust!