SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 642
Default Sherburne WMA

Just returned from a vacation in Brusly, LA. Went to Sherburne WMA rifle range. Met some nice people. Whoever designed those benches is crazy. I had to sit on an ammo can to get enought height. Must be designed for shooting while flooded. Wish people would clean up brass and targets. Went to Bass Pro (BR/Denham Springs(?)) for pistol range... nice setup except for cabled targets kept moving. Also people bouncing rounds off floors when shooting s[SIZE=3]ilhouette [/SIZE]targets. I must be cranky after overdosing on shrimp and oysters po-boys, fried fish sandwiches, etc.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Yeah the benches there are crazy. I don't shoot at BP. You never know who you're gonna shoot next to. I use the archery range alot when I'm at Sherburne.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

When at Sherburne Rifle range..... I usually spend some time picking up trash while letting my barrel cool off.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Flounder

I saw some safety violations that would get you one final warning from my range in Virginia. Fiddling near bench while someone is down range, handling a weapon behind the firing line, two shooters - one on bench and one using post as prop (ahead of bench).
Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
I saw some safety violations that would get you one final warning from my range in Virginia. Fiddling near bench while someone is down range, handling a weapon behind the firing line, two shooters - one on bench and one using post as prop (ahead of bench).
Public range=public idiots.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:

Louisiana does not require "Rifle range" safety training before using any range and most of the people using this range probably have never had any real experience or training on what is considered proper conduct.

This range is not supervised and there are no "rules" to be followed.

I usually use the range one or twice a year. Any yes I see people do things that should not be done. I had 6 years experience as a teenager shooting weekly in a club under the NRA guidelines.

Here are pictures of my awards from shooting in the Junior NRA program. For the experienced NRA program members..... yes the highest award ..."Distinguished"....is not there. When I turned 18 yrs old, I was ~ 2/3 the way completing the requirements. Time and school distractions kept me from completing all the requirements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NRA metals.JPG (192.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Expert metal.JPG (201.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 10-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Flounder

With my imminant retirement in 18 months, I plan on settling near BR, close to a decent private range. So far Palo Alto in Donaldsonville or the one in Thibodaux are the most desirable. My sister's neighbor is trying to find me some land to set up a personal range and also have a hunting area or hunting lease nearby.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
With my imminant retirement in 18 months, I plan on settling near BR, close to a decent private range. So far Palo Alto in Donaldsonville or the one in Thibodaux are the most desirable. My sister's neighbor is trying to find me some land to set up a personal range and also have a hunting area or hunting lease nearby.
Went to school near Palo Alto.

Palo Alto=$$$

I'd settle near Thib. I believe they have a 600 yard range and some good hunting land within easy reach and good fishing isn't far.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I go to sherburne to use the range, but I go at early a.m. on a week day never during hunting season or after September. too many people, I watched one guy go set up his target with his rifle on a lead sled on the bench pointed down range "but it was OK because it wasn't loaded"! typical idiot!
I go pick up the brass too, I have made many reloads with once fired brass from sherburne.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Flounder

I only pick up my brass for reloads unless I'm there when someone else leaves them behind.