SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I guided 59 days last year. i've seen just about every gun on the market, and if you want a pump the 870 and nova's are about the same, both being good. From first hand experience on automatics, i would not buy a benelli ever. 50% of the ones i get in my blind do not work right, and thats saying a lot, being that the benelli's are very popular. The extrema's seem to be much better guns, along with browning maxus and browning silver. The winchester super x3's are also good guns. this is just what i have seen first hand having guided 59 days a year each of the last 2 seasons
With a benelli you want to make sure the bolt is all the forward. Also, once loaded do not activate the switch on the side....i have shot a SBE since 2004 & average 30-40 days hunting a year with no issues.....sounds like you take lot of those high $ sports out which are clueless..
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Ya benelli is the best in my eyes hands down...gotta take care of it..but who wouldn't take care of a 1500 dollar investment
Old 09-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

I had a Benelli and now own an SX3. I liked the Benelli, but I really like this SX3, its about as sweet and soft shooting as they come. Very reliable.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
I had a Benelli and now own an SX3. I liked the Benelli, but I really like this SX3, its about as sweet and soft shooting as they come. Very reliable.
I have heard several good things about these guns....if I would not get a benelli, the sx3 would be my choice!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

A buddy of mine got a Browning Maxus last year just before teal season. Great gun but within 3 hunts the camo dura touch was peeling off already. We brought it to G&H in Gueydan and the guy there said it was because he had off on his hands and that caused it to peel.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
A buddy of mine got a Browning Maxus last year just before teal season. Great gun but within 3 hunts the camo dura touch was peeling off already. We brought it to G&H in Gueydan and the guy there said it was because he had off on his hands and that caused it to peel.
I can believe that. Off will screw up a paint job for sure.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 984

I've seen "Off " mess up a few camo paint jobs... Win SX3, SBE II, Nova etc...
wtretrievers... You got your camo paint business running yet? I'll send you my shotgun.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

yeah i shoot the SX3 and treat it like crap. keeps on working. i do have to say the original super black eagles and older benellis seem to have been better
Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744

Ive been shooting a Benelli Nova for years, older model before the Super Nova. I mostly wade hunt and it is always exposed to mud and water. It has never failed to shoot or cycle. A little oil in the action will do. A friend I used to hunt with used a Mossberg pump (exact model I dont know) and I remember it failing to fire and cycle twice in once season. The Nova kicks something fierce though.

I just cant be won over on Mossberg. Ive only had limited experience with them and just dont like em.

Ive never been able to drop the money for an autoloader, but for waterfowling I would have to go with an inertia driven. And the Benellis are easy to disassemle. They may not cycle the lighter loads for doves and such, but thats not a problem in a duck blind. No personal experience though. The new Remington may be good, I love the old 1100s, but they have something like 7 ports in em I think. Seems like that would be too easy to foul.

Benelli, Beretta, Stoeger are all made by the same peeps. But Im sure the cheaper ones are to lower standards. After all Ford and Aston Martin used to be made by the same folks. HA

In the end its all what you like and what works for you.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

I just bought a Browning Silver and like it alot. Smoked some doves with it this weekend.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
extrema 2 if price is no option
If price is no option

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
The winchester super x3's are also good guns.
If price is somewhat an option.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,637

Binelli SBE II has had some problems. I know of three people that have had to send them off to get fixed due to cycling problems. Father in-law is a guide and he purchased an SBE II last year. Used it once and tried to sell it to me! My reccomendation would be the birretta xtrema II. I've heard nothing but great things about it and as soon as I have the money I'll be getting one myself.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,087

I have waterfowl, dove, quail hunted all my life, shot every shot gun there is to shoot at one time or another and by far the best gun I have ever owned is the Baretta Extrema, I shoot the the Extrema 1, but there is a Extrema 2 with the camo skin. You can shoot 3 1/2 inch mag in the morning, case the gun, go to the skeet range in the afternoon and shoot low brass 7 1/2 and not havt to make any changes to the gun. Hunted in rain, sleet and snow with no malfunctions and remember Baretta owns Beneli. Good Luck
Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,260

I've had the Extrema 2 since it came out. I use it for everything, ducks, doves, and sporting clay tournaments. Never had one problem with it. We hunt in rice fields and salt water reserves gun still in perfect condition. Dropped it in flooded timber one time fished it up and kept hunting no problems.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,530

Beretta A400 XTREME UNICO KO, MAX4, 12GA, 3.5"

this the reason all the extrema 2 are on sale!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post

Beretta A400 XTREME UNICO KO, MAX4, 12GA, 3.5"

this the reason all the extrema 2 are on sale!
I like that.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,087

Man, thats a nice looking gun, wow, might have to have one!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Well, Ive been shooting a Benellie sb eagle for about 10 yrs now,and have never had problems with it. About the only time it doesnt cycle is if I shoot 1oz. or less of shot. Not enough enertia I guess. Smoothe as silk shooting,less kick,and extra boner(hanging the extra shell)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,559

Browning Gold Hunter
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Redfish

Cash: 679

Put 200 rounds through two new Beretta 3901s today. A 20 gauge for my son and a 12 for me. Both performed flawlessly.