SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,329
Default Tractor Question

Dad and I are looking to buy a new tractor. He cuts about 18 acres of grass at his house and we use it to build and maintain our food plots during hunting season. He has a 13 year old John Deere with about 2300 hrs on the engine and it needs an engine over haul as it blew a bearing on the crank shaft. We decided to buy another one instead of spending all the money to over haul this one considering all the trouble we have had with it. We plan to get one around 55-60 HP.

The question is, what tractor do you have, has it caused any trouble and what would you recommend we buy? Has to be 4X4 and have a front end loader. No cab.

We are in the Lafayette area.

Thanks.

Josh
Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

2300 hours ain't nothing with proper maintenance. I was a golf course mech. and after katrina we bought over $750,000.00 in john deere green . Nothing but junk and other mechs. I talked too same thing . We had 2 kabota's with over 4000 hours still kicking with the abuse they got. Got a new kobota hydrostatic drive and when I left had well over 1500 hrs. no problems pulling 5 gangs up n down hills all day . Change fluid and filters on schedule or once a year if you don't make the hours.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

What size implements do have or plan on getting? Especially your bush hog cause that has the most limiting factor for horse power. I have a Kubota MX5200 hydrostat with 44 pto hp. I use primarily 6 ft tools with plenty of hp to spare. That is over 7 hp/ft. I wouldn't go under 5 hp/ft. A lot of brands have two different hp models on the same exact frame size. The only reason I didn't get the 5800 is cause it still wouldn't handle 7 ft tools well. The M series is bigger and better but more expensive. John deere tractors under 100 hp are really yanmar tractors with green and yellow paint. Kubota is really good bang for buck cause they last and hold excellent resale. Mahindra is better than they used to be and a bargain but resale isn't nearly as good. Ls is good at a good price point also. New Holland is overpriced for what you get in my opinion because older models had better features unless you buy a deluxe model.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

I bought my tractor from Oakdale Motors. They had best price, delivered free over an hour away and most open station tractors are kept under cover on the lot. We signed the papers on the hood of his truck.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay67 View Post
What size implements do have or plan on getting? Especially your bush hog cause that has the most limiting factor for horse power. I have a Kubota MX5200 hydrostat with 44 pto hp. I use primarily 6 ft tools with plenty of hp to spare. That is over 7 hp/ft. I wouldn't go under 5 hp/ft. A lot of brands have two different hp models on the same exact frame size. The only reason I didn't get the 5800 is cause it still wouldn't handle 7 ft tools well. The M series is bigger and better but more expensive. John deere tractors under 100 hp are really yanmar tractors with green and yellow paint. Kubota is really good bang for buck cause they last and hold excellent resale. Mahindra is better than they used to be and a bargain but resale isn't nearly as good. Ls is good at a good price point also. New Holland is overpriced for what you get in my opinion because older models had better features unless you buy a deluxe model.

everything we use is 5' and under. we should have had plenty of power with a 43 horse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I use a new holland t5060 on my farm. It's a bigger model tractor than you're looking for but I have been happy with the brand.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

We have several tractors and my favorite is my John Deere 950. Dad has a 50hp Kubota HST cabbed with a loader and 4x4. FYI, if you change all the filter for the HST, engine, and add the oil you are looking at well over $400. I like the tractor but the upkeep is a little much imo. If I was to get a new tractor it would be a geared tractor instead of HST. If you are mowing look for one with the industrial tires instead of Ag tires. Also, I have mowed with and with out a cab, ever been stung in the ribs by a big hornet? ...lol

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with Kubota or Deere, the Kubota will be the better deal in most cases. We had 3 Kubota tractors, 3 Kubota lawn mowers, and my Deere....they worked all the same. The new Kubota cab cabbed tractor had an a/c issue, king pin issue (pops over loaded the front end moving some stuff), and a blown fuse. He blew out a window leaving the door open and my cousin blew out the front glass with his dually. It has about 2000 hours on it. It is a great all around size but has some power, the loader and 4x4 are well worth the money.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Redfish

Cash: 977

we have two kubota's and both have 15+ years and running strong with regular maintenance and no major problems at all. we have a small riding lawn mower and a large diesel riding lawn mower. comfortable ride too!!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Redfish

Cash: 663

We have a kubota I believe it's a 53hp - 10 years old and haven't had any issues so far. We have about 40 acres we cut and have not had issues. Have the front end loader as well - works well.
Will be getting a second sometime in future. Feel like John Deere are a little pricey for what we will be using it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Thanks for all the comments. We went look at Kubota yesterday and it made it in our top 3 so far of what we have looked at. It just keeps getting harder and harder to justify paying for a John Deere due to their price and the price of repairs, as they will all break at sometime! We spun a bearing on the crank shaft on our current Deere and they wanted to charge us $3000 just for the crank shaft on a 3 cylinder engine, which is why we are looking for a new one.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

What all problems have you had with your current tractor other than a spun bearing?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Whatever brand you go with research buying parts for them first. Some brands take weeks to get parts and others are available or take only a few days.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout rivers View Post
What all problems have you had with your current tractor other than a spun bearing?

Over heating, electrical, issues with the hydrastat, etc. the list is too long to list it all.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

Pm me all that's wrong with it are you looking to sell it?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout rivers View Post
Pm me all that's wrong with it are you looking to sell it?

We plan to keep it and over haul the engine to use it as a camp tractor. Currently looking for a mechanic around Laf that can do it in the side. Doesn't matter how long it takes.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Flounder

Cash: 440

I have been looking at kubota also. I think I like the M7060 in 4wd

Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Trophy Trout

We ended up buying a Kubota MX58 today.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Dang! That is a 60hp 4 cylinder tractor. It is also the largest HST they offer. Did y'all get the Ag or Industrial tires? The only down fall is that it has a DPF system on it. That is a good looking tractor.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Down View Post
Dang! That is a 60hp 4 cylinder tractor. It is also the largest HST they offer. Did y'all get the Ag or Industrial tires? The only down fall is that it has a DPF system on it. That is a good looking tractor.

Industrial tire.