SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV)

Offroad Forum (4x4 & ATV) Discuss anything to do with offroad sports here, including ATVs, mudding in your truck, etc.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104
Hairout Inside Courtesy Lights Won't Go Off

I have a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 new body and I noticed while going down the road that the inside courtesy lights were on so I opened my door and closed it, they stayed on. Next I pushed the dome overide button and tried the dimmer switch with the same results. I can hear the relay under the dash clicking so that tells me thats its good. But when I push the overide button I notice the lights dim a little bit. I recently replaced the stock courtesy lights with LED strips behind the speaker mesh and in the marker itself and I'm hoping this has nothing to do with this problem. The only way to get them to go off is by pulling the fuse under the hood. I am stumped as to where else to look or check. I am going to a prom this weekend and bringing some others in the truck so I'd like to get this fixed before saturday. Any help is appreciated
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Chances are its those LEDs. I had put some led fig lights in my old Chevy s10 and the same thing happened. They were always on. Idk why but it did happen
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Red Snapper

Crap...if thats what this is I'm not going to be happy and I'll need to find new sockets for the stock under dash lights.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Call

1-800- Chuck Norris
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Call

1-800- Chuck Norris
Go away little man
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I bet you can find a Chevy Mechanic at Taco Tuesday tomorrows
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
I have a 99 GMC Sierra Z71 new body and I noticed while going down the road that the inside courtesy lights were on so I opened my door and closed it, they stayed on. Next I pushed the dome overide button and tried the dimmer switch with the same results. I can hear the relay under the dash clicking so that tells me thats its good. But when I push the overide button I notice the lights dim a little bit. I recently replaced the stock courtesy lights with LED strips behind the speaker mesh and in the marker itself and I'm hoping this has nothing to do with this problem. The only way to get them to go off is by pulling the fuse under the hood. I am stumped as to where else to look or check. I am going to a prom this weekend and bringing some others in the truck so I'd like to get this fixed before saturday. Any help is appreciated
Find the hot wire going to the first light in the series and put a toggle switch in line. This should kill the power when you don't want them on. if it doesn't you are back feeding from somewhere else.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Red Snapper

I might try and change the headlight switch first see if that fixes it but if not I may try the toggle idea. Some people say it could be the switch in the door that is the problem but I will try replacing the headlight switch then rip into the door to see if thats the problem.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

It could be that relay switch you hear clicking,look under the dash and see if you have another one like it and swap them around to see what happens
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
It could be that relay switch you hear clicking,look under the dash and see if you have another one like it and swap them around to see what happens
Already did that with the inadv power relay and it did the same thing.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 774

This may be a stupid question, but did you make sure the passanger side door was completely closed too?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Redfish

Cash: 851

There is a door jam switch on either side of the dash that when closing the door it pushes a plunger down on the switch making the light go out, if one is bad, it will keep your lights on, replaced a bunch of them when I worked at the dealer, sorry this info came from a Texans & hope no one was offended by it.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaBlazer View Post
This may be a stupid question, but did you make sure the passanger side door was completely closed too?
Yes that was the first thing I did. I didn't pull the 3rd brake light off yet to make sure the bulb sockets were nice and shiny and not rusted to oblivion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Dawg View Post
There is a door jam switch on either side of the dash that when closing the door it pushes a plunger down on the switch making the light go out, if one is bad, it will keep your lights on, replaced a bunch of them when I worked at the dealer, sorry this info came from a Texans & hope no one was offended by it.
Thats on the old body style. 99 new body Sierra doesn't have the plunger, its got a switch in the mechanism.