SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

You can't track to within x feet of a dog with a chip? I'm not real familiar with the technology.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

I dont think it is a GPS tracking chip.. i just thought you had to bring to vet to scan the chip to tell who the dog is registered too.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
I dont think it is a GPS tracking chip.. i just thought you had to bring to vet to scan the chip to tell who the dog is registered too.
Exactly..........that is the advantage of having your dog chipped.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
what good will a chip do if the dog is lost in a marsh?
Tell you what part of the marsh the dog is lost in?!?!!?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Tell you what part of the marsh the dog is lost in?!?!!?

Doesn't work that way. My dog is chipped. If dog is stole or lost and brought to vet, they check the chip and find out who owns the dog. It's not a GPS chip for locating the dog.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Sailfish

Ahhhh... That's y I put ?... I'm not familiar with it either

Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Sailfish

Thx ttop

Old 12-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Tripletail

OK, next question. Why not have a gps collar or chip for lost dogs considering the expense and attachment people have for their hunting companions? Don't deer or other tracking dog owners have such technology?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
OK, next question. Why not have a gps collar or chip for lost dogs considering the expense and attachment people have for their hunting companions? Don't deer or other tracking dog owners have such technology?
A retriever isn't supposed to get away supposed to come back, the GPS collars are for dogs that are hunting out of your sight at times so you can find them if they do get away. Not sure they would be good for everyday use on like a yard dog as you would have to maintain the batteries not sure

bad situation for OP even if dog has a chip it has to be found and brought into a vet's office to scan for one, hope he finds it
Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Same reason Magic Johnson went without a Jimmy Hat, didn't think anything would happen. Out of the thousands of hunting dogs in the field during the 60 day season, how many actually get lost? The percentage is infintesimily(sp) low but most hunting dogs only go as far as their owners can chunk a rock. "Trained" dogs have the ability to pick up ducks out to extreme distances, they are "Athletes" in every sense of the word.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Same reason Magic Johnson went without a Jimmy Hat, didn't think anything would happen. Out of the thousands of hunting dogs in the field during the 60 day season, how many actually get lost? The percentage is infintesimily(sp) low but most hunting dogs only go as far as their owners can chunk a rock. "Trained" dogs have the ability to pick up ducks out to extreme distances, they are "Athletes" in every sense of the word.
You're not a big fan of insurance then, right? Out of the hundreds of thousands of homes in tornado alley, how many actually get hit by a twister?

I'm just saying if I had a substantial monetary, time and emotional investment, I'd make a small investment in a tracker. I hear of hunting dogs getting lost or stolen all the time.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Most good hunting dogs can back track themselves not like robot dogs
Old 12-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
You're not a big fan of insurance then, right? Out of the hundreds of thousands of homes in tornado alley, how many actually get hit by a twister?

I'm just saying if I had a substantial monetary, time and emotional investment, I'd make a small investment in a tracker. I hear of hunting dogs getting lost or stolen all the time.
Your comparing apples and uranges on the analogy, and yes I know a little about insurance.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
Most good hunting dogs can back track themselves not like robot dogs
Never seen a "Robot" dog, can you point me to one so I can gleen some new information? There are only two who know what goes on in a dogs head; God and the Dog and neither one are talking.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Never seen a "Robot" dog, can you point me to one so I can gleen some new information? There are only two who know what goes on in a dogs head; God and the Dog and neither one are talking.
I just thought with all the training you do with dogs you trained them to come back like a robot
Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Caesar Milan?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I just thought with all the training you do with dogs you trained them to come back like a robot
Once a dog gets so far out... The athlete kind ... Bc they went on a blind and they are taught to go in. A straight line until they hear a whistle... Well... If he got 100yds out and the winds were blowing in wrong direction and he couldn't hear a whistle he may have kept on going. Bc that's what they know. Maybe the e collar didn't reach that far and if it did and owner nicked him but dog didn't hear a whistle he could possibly interpret that into keep on going possibly...?? My .02... I hope that man finds his dog. My dog has nowhere near the time and money invested and I'd be lost without by buddy!

Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Generally, they see me wearing my White coat and know there are several more birds they need to pick up. Even in controlled situations they can get turned around (wind,terrain,ect). Fog is the biggest problem when hunting since noise bounces off the heavy air plus they can't see. Straight lines make dogs more efficient at their jobs not robotic.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Please don't turn this into a couda,wouda,shoda thread. Hind sight is always 20-20 and if he had it to do over again the dog would have had a GPS collar. Enough said about what could have been done. Please keep the word going and help us find Eli!!!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Your comparing apples and uranges on the analogy, and yes I know a little about insurance.
You're right, dogs never get lost or stolen.

As you were.