SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566

if you spend 135 on a speck call, you are wasting at least 100 bucks. my 2 calls didnt cost me 25 bucks. although i turned one myself with an echo insert. kill every year
Old 09-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

well the reason people spend good money is because they want a good call, dont know how to make one, dont have the tools/machines to make one, etc...

i had a buddy like you once- " why you spend so much money on calls, thats stupid, blah blah blah.." now he has more high dollar calls than me..

we already established that a 30 year old chien caille or ps olt can do the job. we already know that..

but we also know, if you dont upgrade away from these 30 year old calls, you will never progress as a caller. if you are happy with your antiques than cool. kill on brotha
Old 09-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Flounder

Cash: 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
well the reason people spend good money is because they want a good call, dont know how to make one, dont have the tools/machines to make one, etc...

i had a buddy like you once- " why you spend so much money on calls, thats stupid, blah blah blah.." now he has more high dollar calls than me..

we already established that a 30 year old chien caille or ps olt can do the job. we already know that..

but we also know, if you dont upgrade away from these 30 year old calls, you will never progress as a caller. if you are happy with your antiques than cool. kill on brotha

Exactly....

There comes a time when what used to work does not work,or works on a much less consistent basis,it is coming....

I am not knocking what Mervis added to the progression of speck calling and hunting,very substantial,but there is NO comparison in the extended range,voice input acceptance,and much wider operational range acceptance(user friendliness) afforded by a good higher end speck call
Old 09-30-2016, 12:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

When I first got into calling specks I was given two calls a Chein Calle and a PS Olt both of which I watched the gentleman who gave them to me kill birds with. And all I could do was watch an wait, fast forward a few years I learn how to yodel and cluck half-a$$ nothing special but I could get birds to come look at me or come make a fly by. Then years go on i get new calls but always went back to those two. I had just turned 17 when I got my first big barrel call a James meyers then following year a riceland after that a redbone...and the reason why was because Once I got to a point to where I wanted to become a better caller and become really good at killing those birds I knew I had to start calling at them different. Now still to this day I have a PS olt on my lanyard for no wind days or just as a back up but I will say this, I am 250 times a better call now then when I was using those older calls. It truly opens up a new world of calling and to say you don't need a expensive call is arrogant.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:46 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986

I have watched these forums for many years, even before ever even registering as a member,there will always be some of the mindset that "oh that high dollar call is a waste of money,I can kill this and that just as good and don't need that high dollar call". And it is just not on here,social media too,refugeforums,duckhuntingchat.com.waterfowlforu m.net That is fine,hell my Dad is 70 and thought the same thing until our kill rate went up 4 times after running chien caille and olt for 30 years when I switched because I knew the old ways were becoming non effective. Now when I pick him up that is the first thing he asks,"you got your call",not got your license,shells,boots,gun,he wants to make damn sure I have my call. He has seen the difference,we lived it,and so have many others on here. Point being,dont let a negative mindset toward the high end calls discourage you,I used to be of the same mindset,it was not until 1---I honestly accepted that what I was doing was no longer working as good and fading fast,2---immediately saw the difference in the field once I switched.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

It's no different than anything else. Good fishing equipment. Good hunting equipment. Good farm equipment.

Yes, you can catch fish with a zebco on an ugly stik. But you can catch fish more effectively and more efficiently using better, more technical equipment. Yes, you can kill just as many ducks or geese wearing a $50 hunting coat you bought from Wal mart. But spending the extra money on the nicer clothes are going to allow you to stay warmer and dryer easier and allow you to enjoy your time better and focus more on the hunt than trying to be comfortable.

The saying "you get what you pay for" didn't come about for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
It's no different than anything else. Good fishing equipment. Good hunting equipment. Good farm equipment.

Yes, you can catch fish with a zebco on an ugly stik. But you can catch fish more effectively and more efficiently using better, more technical equipment. Yes, you can kill just as many ducks or geese wearing a $50 hunting coat you bought from Wal mart. But spending the extra money on the nicer clothes are going to allow you to stay warmer and dryer easier and allow you to enjoy your time better and focus more on the hunt than trying to be comfortable.

The saying "you get what you pay for" didn't come about for no reason.

No doubt. Adapt or die. Or in this case, Adapt or watch the guy in the field next to you kill.

Like John said, this mentality isn't uncommon in our line of hobbies (hunting / fishing etc.)

Another good example was when the Alabama-rig came about in the bass fishing world.

If you don't want to use it or think you should be doing what you've had success with in the past, go for it. Just don't hate on others who are trying to continue their learning and not settle for moderate success when they find something new and start crushing.

I just try to remember this when getting opinions/tips from others. If someone is so set on a technique or whatever that they have convinced themselves (and are trying to convince you) that their way is the ONLY or BEST possible way to do this, weather it be hunting or fishing, take it with a grain of salt. Because odds are, that guy has topped out or peaked as far as continuing to learn and become better at whatever it is he does.

Of course there will be constants that are true (geese tend to flare off mojos etc.), but you'll know when you find the guys I speak of.

Just agree with them. That's all you can do.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
No doubt. Adapt or die. Or in this case, Adapt or watch the guy in the field next to you kill.

Like John said, this mentality isn't uncommon in our line of hobbies (hunting / fishing etc.)

Another good example was when the Alabama-rig came about in the bass fishing world.

If you don't want to use it or think you should be doing what you've had success with in the past, go for it. Just don't hate on others who are trying to continue their learning and not settle for moderate success when they find something new and start crushing.

I just try to remember this when getting opinions/tips from others. If someone is so set on a technique or whatever that they have convinced themselves (and are trying to convince you) that their way is the ONLY or BEST possible way to do this, weather it be hunting or fishing, take it with a grain of salt. Because odds are, that guy has topped out or peaked as far as continuing to learn and become better at whatever it is he does.

Of course there will be constants that are true (geese tend to flare off mojos etc.), but you'll know when you find the guys I speak of.

Just agree with them. That's all you can do.
I agree 100%. Great way of putting it. That's why no matter how good I think I am I will be the first to hop in a blind with someone else. Because they may have something that works better or found a easier way to do something. Never being set and stone on a techineque and you'll learn more then you could possible comprehend.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
I agree 100%. Great way of putting it. That's why no matter how good I think I am I will be the first to hop in a blind with someone else. Because they may have something that works better or found a easier way to do something. Never being set and stone on a techineque and you'll learn more then you could possible comprehend.
No doubt. The more people you can hunt (or fish) with, the more you will learn (if that's your goal). I know some folks that want to come just for a free trip and don't really pay attention to what's going on, and I know others that want to come to learn and pick your brain. I have a good friend who came with me countless times, and still doesn't know how to get to the ramp.. And I have others who watch me like a hawk all day and ask a ton of questions wanting to know why I do what I'm doing.
And a lot of times it may be learning what NOT to do. At the end of the day that is still learning.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
No doubt. The more people you can hunt (or fish) with, the more you will learn (if that's your goal). I know some folks that want to come just for a free trip and don't really pay attention to what's going on, and I know others that want to come to learn and pick your brain. I have a good friend who came with me countless times, and still doesn't know how to get to the ramp.. And I have others who watch me like a hawk all day and ask a ton of questions wanting to know why I do what I'm doing.
And a lot of times it may be learning what NOT to do. At the end of the day that is still learning.
LOL funny you say that when I take people fishing I tell them I might not teach a whole lot, and you might catch more fish then me but I can sure as hell tell you what not to do and I guess that just narrows down to what is useful lol
Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Tripletail

redleg one, did you try to upload a sound file? I think that would keep this thread going lol
Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
LOL funny you say that when I take people fishing I tell them I might not teach a whole lot, and you might catch more fish then me but I can sure as hell tell you what not to do and I guess that just narrows down to what is useful lol

Well you guys feel free to invite me. I'd love to learn what to do and what not to do in person so I can see the F-ups. Lmao

Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Always down to hunt/fish with new people!
Old 10-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

We lost our goose lease this year, so anyone ever needs a hunting partner let me know!! I am always down to learn a few new tricks, may even be able to teach someone else a thing or two