SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 53
Brew

Hey Catpops you are right about them kids,i've got four boys (one in heaven) and they love the bow thing.My 12 year old shot a couple of pigs already but no deer yet.Maybe this year? it is great for discipline.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy View Post
U didnt get that idea from me HF.... lol..

before i shoot, i will say "this is on behalf of all the people on "SALTYCAJUN" hehe
Old 05-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass compound bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough sumbich.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazzard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. Keep in mind this was 99.999% humidity swampland so there really wasn’t any fire danger. Ill put it this way, a set of post-hole diggers and a 3ft. hole and you had yourself a well.

One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (ether). The light bulb went off. I grabbed the can and set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner, lets face it to a 10 yr. old mouth-breather like myself, ether really doesn't "sound" flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1-pound can of pyrodex (black powder for muzzle loader rifles). At this point, I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the ether can but it all sorta dumped out. No biggie, 1 lb of pyrodex and 16oz of ether should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Screw that. I’m going back in the house for the other can.

Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too. Now we're cookin'. I stepped back about 15 ft and lit the 2-stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and took aim. As I released I heard a 'clunk' from behind me as the arrow launched from my bow... In slow motion, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck... OH ****... he just got home from work. So help me God, it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a *** look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right through the main pile of pyrodex at the bottom.

When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don't know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 decibels of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was stuff hovering 1 ft above the ground as far as I could see. It was like a little low-to-the-ground layer of dust fog full of grasshoppers, spiders, and a crawfish or two.

The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this THE DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE. There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said "was". That mother got up and ran off. So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my Thunder-cats T-shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Viet Nam flashback, 'ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE, YOUR BRINGIN' 'EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE, DAMNIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!'

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft. behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is a slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft over our backyard. There is a Honda 185s 3-wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires.

I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. But I just don't know- I know I said something. I couldn't hear. Heck...I couldn't hear inside my own head. I don't think he heard me either, not that it would really matter. I don't remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke later, repeat this process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR so dad could beat me
some more. Bring him back to life so dad can kill him again. Thanks mom.

One thing is for sure, I never had to mow around that stump again. Mom had been bellyaching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business. Dad sold his muzzloaders a week or so later, and I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality, either from the blast or the beating. Or both.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get your kids into archery. It's good discipline and will teach them skills they can really use - like to get the butt kicking of a lifetime.
Cat my gut is killing me lmao x 1000
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned

LOL, that's wild catdaddy

i did some crazy sh*t like that back in the day, one time i poured a whole can of coleman lighter fluid all over the road.........well nevermind.

LOL

there used to be these two gay roller skaters (dudes) that would coming blading down my street everyday. one day i ran some 50 pound mono from a tree to an electrical pole on the other side, they came prancing by on those blades and both hit the ground so hard it was hilarious. i'll never forget that.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
LOL, that's wild catdaddy

i did some crazy sh*t like that back in the day, one time i poured a whole can of coleman lighter fluid all over the road.........well nevermind.

LOL

there used to be these two gay roller skaters (dudes) that would coming blading down my street everyday. one day i ran some 50 pound mono from a tree to an electrical pole on the other side, they came prancing by on those blades and both hit the ground so hard it was hilarious. i'll never forget that.

i get in trouble when i do stuff like that
Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Quote:
Check This Texas Monster out....
Did you shoot that one off its mother's teet? Perhaps you shot it right after she dropped it? Is it not turned sideways so we won't see the spots?

Oh, I quit gun hunting about 10 years ago. I shoot Bowtech. I have two 2006 Tributes in 80 lb. I used to shoot Mathews. They are both quality bow makers. Hoyt is good as well. I just prefer Bowtech.

Last edited by Snap Draggin; 05-07-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 643

[QUOTE=Snap Draggin;1913]Did you shoot that one off its mother's teet? Perhaps you shot it right after she dropped it? Is it not turned sideways so we won't see the spots?

Na.. She didnt have spots. I killed her (during deer season) out of a duck blind. I have a duck blind that i usually kill 2 or 3 deer out of every year. She walked out on me and was standing in my decoy spread looking at my black lab. The only ammo i had at that time was 3'' #2 shot.. I shot for the legs and broke 3 out of 4.. My dog went try and get her but couldnt drag her... thats why she is all muddy and nasty looking.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Redfish

I'm going to move over to longbow,i've been wanting to for years think i'm gonna do it this year.Should be more sporty.Ilove my PSE Carrera though,with the orion cam it's pretty fast,but not forgivng i've got a few PSE's love them all.All of good bows out there these days.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousJ View Post
you know, I'll be nice to you now cause I just completely became a believer you are a total idiot. Ever heard of dragging a deer out of the woods? especially to a spot that looks good for a photo like a clearing with good background? oh, you think a bow drops them in their tracks? I see...

Yes, turn right at the flashing light by DQ like you are heading back toward the refugio beeville hwy. 10 miles down past the big sharp right curver, about a mile short of the medio creek bridge, then left into the woods.

You're worried about dragging a dead dear around to find a good photo op? I bet you're the kind that puts all your camo on at the house then drives 4 hours to the lease every Friday evening huh. City boys like you shouldn't even be allowed to hunt. Just a matter of time before you hurt yourself or somebody that's a real hunter.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Flounder

Cash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeater View Post
You're worried about dragging a dead dear around to find a good photo op? I bet you're the kind that puts all your camo on at the house then drives 4 hours to the lease every Friday evening huh. City boys like you shouldn't even be allowed to hunt. Just a matter of time before you hurt yourself or somebody that's a real hunter.
Yeah, dragged it all of about 50 yards out of the thick brush to the opening.. So what did you do when you shot your first buck with a bow? Excuse me if I wanted a good picture. City boy, huh? You are a joke, someone to laugh at and see how the worthless part of society operates. Lets see some of your pics, if you have any to prove you know anything about hunting.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousJ View Post
Yeah, dragged it all of about 50 yards out of the thick brush to the opening.. So what did you do when you shot your first buck with a bow? Excuse me if I wanted a good picture. City boy, huh? You are a joke, someone to laugh at and see how the worthless part of society operates. Lets see some of your pics, if you have any to prove you know anything about hunting.

Baaawwwhhhhhh, you couldn't drag that deer ten yards if your life depended on it. What did I do with my first bow killed buck? I ate it dummy, that's what hunters do. We don't need to pose for pics in our starched camo!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
King Mackeral

Default Whats the big deal about it?

Mabey im missing something, but whats the big deal about taking a picture with a deer you killed? SO WHAT! Let the dude take a dern picture.. are you gonna cry about it all your life cause he took a freaking picture?... and so what if he drives all the way to the camp wearing camo.. whats it to you? Are you the fashon police or something? "Texas commision on where you should take deer pictures"?...

This is a thread about arrow hunting, why cant we keep it on arrow hunting instead of trying to start s**t about where someone took a picture or what someone wears while he is driving..
Old 05-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Mabey im missing something, but whats the big deal about taking a picture with a deer you killed? SO WHAT! Let the dude take a dern picture.. are you gonna cry about it all your life cause he took a freaking picture?... and so what if he drives all the way to the camp wearing camo.. whats it to you? Are you the fashon police or something? "Texas commision on where you should take deer pictures"?...

This is a thread about arrow hunting, why cant we keep it on arrow hunting instead of trying to start s**t about where someone took a picture or what someone wears while he is driving..

First of all, I ain't from Texas.
Second, nobody's crying here just stating the obvious.
Third, you're a moron for jumping in and sticking up for that boy.
Last, you sure seem like the type that lets his mouth overload his arse.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Sand Trout

C'mon Cat, think it through and reread it before you hit enter.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:44 PM
King Mackeral

Default so

Quote:
First of all, I ain't from Texas.
Second, nobody's crying here just stating the obvious.
Third, you're a moron for jumping in and sticking up for that boy.
Last, you sure seem like the type that lets his mouth overload his arse.
1st. Your location states you live in Texas?
2nd. You sure seemed to be making a big deal about it.
3rd. Im not sticking up for anyone, you remind me of Oprah worried about what everyone else does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REALITY_SLAP_L.jpg (37.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
1st. Your location states you live in Texas?
2nd. You sure seemed to be making a big deal about it.
3rd. Im not sticking up for anyone, you remind me of Oprah worried about what everyone else does.

Are you really that stupid????
Just because I live in Texas doesn't mean I'm from Texas.
Jesus H Christ, does your mommy dress you in the mornings???
Old 05-08-2009, 03:03 PM
King Mackeral

Default ok

Quote:
Are you really that stupid????
Just because I live in Texas doesn't mean I'm from Texas.
Jesus H Christ, does your mommy dress you in the mornings???

OK, mabey im not a mind reader. Because your information states that you LIVE in Texas, I asume your from Texas. If you get offended because your from Texas, mabey you should change it.

And mabey this message wasnt intended for just you.. why cant yall just compliment each othere on a nice deer and be good sportsmans about it?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
OK, mabey im not a mind reader. Because your information states that you LIVE in Texas, I asume your from Texas. If you get offended because your from Texas, mabey you should change it.

And mabey this message wasnt intended for just you.. why cant yall just compliment each othere on a nice deer and be good sportsmans about it?

OK, one more time, I do not get offended because, I'M NOT FROM TEXAS!!!!
When you assume, you make a *** of yourself.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Redfish

Quote:
OK, one more time, I do not get offended because, I'M NOT FROM TEXAS!!!!
When you assume, you make a *** of yourself.
Man! great deer J!
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

I've never hunted bows. I have hunted arrowheads in a riverbottom before. That was fun.

Bugeater, you seem a little testy today. You doin' alright? I'm from La., but live in Texas, but it wouldn't bother me at all if someone assumed I was from here. Y'all simmer down now.