SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192
Default Youth Hunt 2016: Whats Your Opinion?

The current proposed dates that will be voted on have the new extended Speck season opening on the same weekend as the youth hunt. My organization sponsors a youth hunt raffle at a local lodge that we have been doing for years with great success for some lucky youth. We are being told with speck season being open our youth hunt will be canceled if they can put paying adults in the blinds.

I am curious how the public feels about this, and generally on the premise that extending the speck season is less pressure than making a 3 bird limit with same dates.

I ask that if you feel the youth hunt should not be infringed across the state that you contact your LDWF Commissioner or Larry Reynolds with LDWF and plead that they vote against or change the dates.

I mean how can it be called a youth hunt if you got pops right on the side of his son just blasting away?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

It has been like that in the past. I remember late 90's or early 2000's when this was the case. Now that speck season is going to supposedly be 88 days, they don't really have a choice but to put a week of speck season ahead of ducks.

88 day speck season is too long. Those poor geese are going to be pressured from the day they get here to the day they leave. I know a lot of their migration patterns are weather-based, but I have to believe that pressure affects them as well. Fewer and fewer specks make it down here every year they say, and now we're gonna shoot em from early Nov.-mid Feb. Just does'nt seem logical to me.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:40 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
It has been like that in the past. I remember late 90's or early 2000's when this was the case. Now that speck season is going to supposedly be 88 days, they don't really have a choice but to put a week of speck season ahead of ducks.

88 day speck season is too long. Those poor geese are going to be pressured from the day they get here to the day they leave. I know a lot of their migration patterns are weather-based, but I have to believe that pressure affects them as well. Fewer and fewer specks make it down here every year they say, and now we're gonna shoot em from early Nov.-mid Feb. Just does'nt seem logical to me.
I agree
Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

i can remember speck season opening up a week before big duck season way before all of the shenanigans of messing with zones and adding zones...

i agree, the 88 days is too much.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:48 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

88 days way to long, last weeks of this was horrible unless you set up by there roost and pass shoot em no fun in that, almost unkillable for us at least
Old 04-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Well the LDWF seems to believe that killing 2 a day for a longer time is less pressure than same regular season length but allowing 3 birds per day. Doesn't make much sense to me. I guess they think people will hunt longer in the mornings trying to get those extra few birds.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Well the LDWF seems to believe that killing 2 a day for a longer time is less pressure than same regular season length but allowing 3 birds per day. Doesn't make much sense to me. I guess they think people will hunt longer in the mornings trying to get those extra few birds.
Larry Reynolds says himself that bag limit doesn't increase in kill #s. But length of season affects it more.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Larry Reynolds says himself that bag limit doesn't increase in kill #s. But length of season affects it more.
Commissioners can care less what Larry says, and that's pretty unfortunate.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Red Snapper

As far as having adults speck hunting at the same time as youth hunts doesn't really bother me. Lot's of marsh around here, and those guys won't be killing specks anyway. I don't like however speck season starting a week earlier than duck season. Going to put pressure on ricefield ducks before opening day.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
As far as having adults speck hunting at the same time as youth hunts doesn't really bother me. Lot's of marsh around here, and those guys won't be killing specks anyway. I don't like however speck season starting a week earlier than duck season. Going to put pressure on ricefield ducks before opening day.
that is how it has been for many many years.

excluding the last few of course.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
that is how it has been for many many years.

excluding the last few of course.
A couple years maybe