SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 569
Default Black Bayou/ Burnout Bridge.

Hey guys, I recently bought some marsh property south of the intercoastal, and I wanted to put a floating camp out there, but I have a question or two. I have never fished in that area so I was wondering if anyone had pointers, ill mostly be launching at burnout bridge to get there, I will be in a Surface drive boat, so I cant be getting too far, and I don't plan on getting a center console, I like the shallows, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I plan to start spending most my weekends in that area fishing since I have a place to hang out and cook when I take a break. I was wondering about black bayou is it still bass and reds in there or has the saltwater taken over or is it even still worth fishing, and how do I fish burnout, Im a bass fisherman and saltwater is relatively new to me. Thanks again.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Sand Trout

I take back what I said about the bayboat, if it is absolutely necessary then I would consider it.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 767

Haven't been there in years, but posts on here in the last few years on burnout bridge area is vandalism, even in the daytime. No telling what would happen to your truck and trailer over night. Might want to get someone to drive your truck home then come back and pick you up.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Silver View Post
Haven't been there in years, but posts on here in the last few years on burnout bridge area is vandalism, even in the daytime. No telling what would happen to your truck and trailer over night. Might want to get someone to drive your truck home then come back and pick you up.
You may want to consider parking on the Texas side at the Muddy Water Marina or the one across the bayou from the Orange Boat Club. If you do that you'll need to get a Texas fishing license which means Texas limits. Vandalism is bad at Burn Outs launch.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I love fishing BOB. Im mainly a bass guy too, but dable in the salt. I've launched the ranger there a few times and fished out a yak alot. It all depends on the water level and salinity there. I've been when the water was super low and pretty salty and caught trout and flounder. I've also seen it high with alot of freshwater and current and did well on bass. I pretty much just sling gulp on an 1/8oz jig head for salty fish. For bass if there is little to no current its hard to beat the super fluke junior. If there is heavy current I like to flip the baby paca craw (speed craw, rage craw, etc.) with a pegged tungston sinker, size of the weight just depends on the current. It feels awesome when a random red hits that pegged sinker btw lol. It's a really cool / weird place to fish. Some days I would clean the bass I caught and they all would be completely full of little crabs. I've also anchored in one spot and caught reds, bass, trout, and flounder all in the same casting vacinity. Use the current to your advantage and you'll catch alot of fish, not much size with the bass idk if ever had one over 2lbs or so.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

It never happened to me but a buddy came back to a brick through the window and one less pistol about 2 years ago there.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Sand Trout

I've heard alot about the vandalism, the past three times i launched there, i saw a few shady fellows there fishing and hanging out on the side of the road. It's ridiculous they need a camera or something down there, i also thought about launching texas but like yall said I dont want to deal with texas license and limits, and thanks for the tips c-bass.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

I used to fish it a lot but too many low life's down there. No way I'd leave my truck over night! Vinton drain ditch is another launch on this side but also very iffy for a day trip much less over night. I'm afraid if I was staying over night or going often I'd launch on Texas side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705
Brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.rush377 View Post
I've heard alot about the vandalism, the past three times i launched there, i saw a few shady fellows there fishing and hanging out on the side of the road. It's ridiculous they need a camera or something down there, i also thought about launching texas but like yall said I dont want to deal with texas license and limits, and thanks for the tips c-bass.
You should not need a TX license to fish in LA, even if you launch in TX. You are not fishing in TX you are only launching there to get to your destination, which happens to be only a mile or two from your launch. I have launched many times at Muddy Waters and at Lotties (next to the Orange Boat Club) and have hunted and fished across the Intercostal/Sabine and never had a problem. Been checked several times at Lotties by Texas Game Warden and the first thing he asked me was where I was hunting or fishing. I always told him on the LA side, which was the truth. No problems.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Red Snapper

I think you have to follow their regs though.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Redfish

Cash: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
I think you have to follow their regs though.

I hear what you are saying but not if I am fishing or hunting in La. I would think that the burden of truth is on the game warden. I know for a fact that I do not have to have a TX hunting license when I launch at Lottie's and I am hunting in LA. So why should fishing be any different? TX and LA duck hunting seasons do not open or close on the same day. Never been told by a TX game warden that I had to have license's from both states. One time I was checked at the mouth of the Burton Ditch by Federals...opening day of duck season in LA. Was checked for license, stamp, and limit. Never was I asked where I launched.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Red Snapper

I don't know. I just always heard if you launch on tx side you had to follow their size and creel limits. I'm not stating as fact, just what I've heard.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,086

Sounds like its a gray area left to officer discretion whether you have an attitude or not decides whether you leave like a whipped pup or not
Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunduck man View Post
I hear what you are saying but not if I am fishing or hunting in La. I would think that the burden of truth is on the game warden. I know for a fact that I do not have to have a TX hunting license when I launch at Lottie's and I am hunting in LA. So why should fishing be any different? TX and LA duck hunting seasons do not open or close on the same day. Never been told by a TX game warden that I had to have license's from both states. One time I was checked at the mouth of the Burton Ditch by Federals...opening day of duck season in LA. Was checked for license, stamp, and limit. Never was I asked where I launched.

I know that when you launch on the texas side of sabine lake you can do so with a Louisiana license and not need a Texas license, but you MUST follow Texas limits even if you cross the lake and fish the Louisiana side.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:06 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

I was told by several game wardens, "If you pull your boat out the water in Texas you better have Texas limits"
Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGib View Post
I was told by several game wardens, "If you pull your boat out the water in Texas you better have Texas limits"
This the truth. Either license gives you the right to fish or hunt common waTers. But you gotta stay on common waters. When you cross the points of a cut, you gotta have the appropriate license for that state. I.e. going up into adams bayou in tx or johnsons in la. And where the fish first touch land determines what bag and length limits apply. I've been round and round about this. This is the truth from personal conversations with tx & la wardens. Hope this helps
Old 09-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Red Snapper

This is what I thought

Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,425

Seems if they check you when you get back to the launch you'd have a box full of fish subject to the regs of the launch
Old 09-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 574

Louisiana game wardens launch there boats in Orange, Tx because of trucks being broken into at BOB