SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Flounder

Cash: 563
Default Offshore Charter Recommendation Needed

Wife and I are looking for an offshore charter, it will be our first, just looking to have a fun day out trying to catch some fish, nothing particular in mind. Out of south Louisiana or somewhere on the near gulf coast. The idea of going off shore with someone I don't know makes me a bit nervous so I thought I would ask you all to see if you can steer me towards someone I can trust and will show us a fun & safe time. Thanks!!!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

Narrow it down to area (Venice LA, Cameron LA, Pensacola FL, Port Arthur TX are all Gulf Coast), fish (snapper, tuna, etc), time of year, and I can give some suggestions based on experience (as I'm sure many people on the forums can as well).
You've come to the right place.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 888

Venice, LA - Mexican Gulf Fishing Co. Capt. Kevin beach
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Go out of Venice! The extra driving is worth it.
All of the well known captains down there will keep you safe. They are professionals and not just some jack leg with a $300k boat.

I recommend Captain Eddie Burger. I've been offshore with him twice and had a great time and great catch both trips. Better start doing some curls now to get ready for those Tuna!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Venice- Josh Howard Deep South Charters
Eddie Burger Fishvenice.com
Kevin Beach MGFC
Peace Marvel PeaceKeeper

Grand Isle- Cory Talbot Reel Addiction
Lance Walker Fish Commander
Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 563

Thanks guys. I will start looking at what these guys have available. I am looking at the beginning of August and love fresh tuna so that would be fun but I am really open to species.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Venice- Josh Howard Deep South Charters
Eddie Burger Fishvenice.com
Kevin Beach MGFC
Peace Marvel PeaceKeeper

Grand Isle- Cory Talbot Reel Addiction
Lance Walker Fish Commander
Hmmm...if this guy already has safety concerns I'm not too sure I would recommend Josh Howard. Not that I don't think he would bring him back safely, I'm 100% sure he would.

But I have taken a trip with Josh before and he is HAMMER DOWN all day long! Before the sun came up before we even made it down the river he had that 33' Catamaran coming out of the water while running 50 mph. I really didn't mind it but my dad wasn't liking it all that much.

Also, for a fun relaxing day fishing Josh doesn't fit the bill. The dude is a fishing machine and I respect that but he did not really seem to be worried about anything besides putting fish on ice. Which is perfect for a group of serious fisherman but maybe not for a couple looking to have a relaxing day. This is just my opinion from 1 trip with him.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Chris morans cajun made charters out of fourchon. Or Lance walker out of grand isle. If u are looking for a meat haul all around trip. Tuna trips can be good but can also be a bust. If you're goin out for first time I would recommend a rig trip. Load up on mangrove snapper amberjack grouper Ling etc. Fun trip and will be a pole bent for the most part of the trip.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Hmmm...if this guy already has safety concerns I'm not too sure I would recommend Josh Howard. Not that I don't think he would bring him back safely, I'm 100% sure he would.

But I have taken a trip with Josh before and he is HAMMER DOWN all day long! Before the sun came up before we even made it down the river he had that 33' Catamaran coming out of the water while running 50 mph. I really didn't mind it but my dad wasn't liking it all that much.

Also, for a fun relaxing day fishing Josh doesn't fit the bill. The dude is a fishing machine and I respect that but he did not really seem to be worried about anything besides putting fish on ice. Which is perfect for a group of serious fisherman but maybe not for a couple looking to have a relaxing day. This is just my opinion from 1 trip with him.
Josh definitely fishes hard Ive fished with him 8 or 9 times. but there have been days Ive fished with him where we were the last boat to pull up at the dock, and everybody else only caught a couple of fish and we had wheelbarrows full. He runs a 37ft Sea Hunter now btw. He also does take it a lil personal when the fish arent acting right though lol. Its nice to have a capt that still gets mad at em