SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Im surprised you think that about gun controll. I hope you are right but I think we could see a lot happen to take our 2nd amendment rights away. 8 years ago did you think you would have to worry about a man walking into your daughters rest room? Or a business owner being sued or put out of business because they refused to bake a cake for a same sex marriage? The liberals are relentless and will never stop trying to take away our rights and to give complete controll to the government.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Im surprised you think that about gun controll. I hope you are right but I think we could see a lot happen to take our 2nd amendment rights away. 8 years ago did you think you would have to worry about a man walking into your daughters rest room? Or a business owner being sued or put out of business because they refused to bake a cake for a same sex marriage? The liberals are relentless and will never stop trying to take away our rights and to give complete controll to the government.
Too many people have already forgotten the very real gun confiscation in the aftermath of Katrina, right here in Louisiana.

It's unclear which government intrusion might bring things to a more drastic state first, but it is clear that the size, scope, and reach of government continues to grow at an uncomfortable pace, and that avenues of communication and coordinated action are a good thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...ilian_firearms
Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
I agree. Too many think it's not possible or at least a legitimate threat. Say Hillary wins and the Dems also gain the house and the senate. Supreme Court picks won't really matter because they'll be bypassed.
I try to explain to people that if the black Sububans pull up at your house and the black suits ask for your guns you then have three options. Give them up, go to prison or use your guns. It's really that simple at that point.
I don't understand people that think it can never come to that or say it will never happen in our lifetime. Good thing our founding fathers weren't just worried about their lifetime.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I agree. Too many think it's not possible or at least a legitimate threat. Say Hillary wins and the Dems also gain the house and the senate. Supreme Court picks won't really matter because they'll be bypassed.
I try to explain to people that if the black Sububans pull up at your house and the black suits ask for your guns you then have three options. Give them up, go to prison or use your guns. It's really that simple at that point.
I don't understand people that think it can never come to that or say it will never happen in our lifetime. Good thing our founding fathers weren't just worried about their lifetime.
I have given that scenario some thought and I'm not real sure what I would do. It's easy to say "I'd never give up my guns" but do we really know how we would react knowing how much it could affect our family?
Old 09-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I'd bury every gun I own in a sealed tube! If I can't have them then no one will get them! Besides, how would they know what you have if the guns aren't registered?
Old 09-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I have given that scenario some thought and I'm not real sure what I would do. It's easy to say "I'd never give up my guns" but do we really know how we would react knowing how much it could affect our family?
The ones in my house feel the same way I do. It wouldn't just be me. We all feel really strongly about our right to not be defenseless subjects and understand the cost that may come with that. Granted that would be a horrible situation and a worst case scenario. No sane person would ever want that. I don't want to get in a wreck but I always wear my seat belt just incase. Never hurts to have thought out a possible bad situation.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
The ones in my house feel the same way I do. It wouldn't just be me. We all feel really strongly about our right to not be defenseless subjects and understand the cost that may come with that. Granted that would be a horrible situation and a worst case scenario. No sane person would ever want that. I don't want to get in a wreck but I always wear my seat belt just incase. Never hurts to have thought out a possible bad situation.
You and B J have given me something to think about. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
I'd bury every gun I own in a sealed tube! If I can't have them then no one will get them! Besides, how would they know what you have if the guns aren't registered?
If you filled out a background check to buy it then it's registered to you I promise. A few years back I get a call from my mom saying a sheriff deputy from south la was trying to contact me. He left a number so I called him. He wanted to know about a gun I had bought about ten years previously. He knew the store I bought it from and the date I bought it. I had sold the gun to a friend which sold it to another friend and it was stole from him. It was found in a drug bust in south la. I bought it in Alexandria and it was stolen in Alexandria. If you filled out a background check they know who bought it.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
If you filled out a background check to buy it then it's registered to you I promise. A few years back I get a call from my mom saying a sheriff deputy from south la was trying to contact me. He left a number so I called him. He wanted to know about a gun I had bought about ten years previously. He knew the store I bought it from and the date I bought it. I had sold the gun to a friend which sold it to another friend and it was stole from him. It was found in a drug bust in south la. I bought it in Alexandria and it was stolen in Alexandria. If you filled out a background check they know who bought it.
Unfortunately you are correct.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 3,299

Quote:
This^. Silent majority gets its *** handed to it time and again. Can't just ignore and pray it all works in your favor. We road our bikes to school 5 miles. Got dropped off at football games, etc.... Nobody I know would let their kids do the same things we did. Amazes me how people just turn a blind eye and just accept what they get.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Ummm, alright I said I was going to ignore y'all and I will after I ask this one little question. So for the ATF or whoever to roll up at your house to take your weapons I am pretty sure there would have to be a new amendment to the constitution repealing the second amendment. I know being proud libertarians you guys must know what it takes to pass an amendment to the constitution. So this country who has beenn 50/50 Dem/Rep or Con/Lib for pretty much its entire existence all of a sudden becomes 75/25 and starts ratifying the constitution? For what? I think 60 senators have favorable ratings with the NRA. Its just not gonna happen. You guys need to find a new boogie man. Alright, I out.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I buy all my guns off the street in the hood so the govt doesn't know I have any.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I buy all my guns off the street in the hood so the govt doesn't know I have any.

I get mine at gun shows. No background check. I got too many parking tickets to get one at shooters.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I was told by a salesman at Lafayette Shooters that after your background check clears the paperwork is destroyed. Was that bs?
Old 09-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Tripletail

Maybe shooters destroys your paper work but the FBI don't.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216
Default permanent ban

The NICS is required by federal law to destroy the background check request within 24hrs, the dealer has to keep the record for 20 years unless he goes out of business, if they do then they have to send all the records to the ATF.

Form 4473 is what contains the serial number and detailed firearm information, but isn't what is supplied to the NICS. The NICS gets your personal information via phone call normally and simply runs a check then comes back and says yes, no or maybe; the conversation if whether you bought or not isn't had, the FFL logs the outcome on his form 4473 which is kept in house as mentioned above. All the NCIS gets is what type of gun you are trying to buy (I.e. Rifle, handgun, etc...).

Now, if your gun turns up in a bust or a crime scene it is absolute possible to track it down, but it doesn't happen by a LEO just sending the serial number to someone and them running it and you're name turning up... Manufacturers are required to keep a record of which guns were sold to which FFL's, the LEO then gets that information from the manufacturer and gets in touch with the FFL that took possession. The FFL, being that he has the 20 year record, is required to turn over his log on that weapon. If someone tried to buy it and got denied, then the FFL will have that 4473 associated with the weapon along wth your record and anyone else that tried to buy it and got denied or backed out. Now the LEO conducting the investigation has your information, and keeps running the lead as far as the paper trail allows - THIS is why you should get a bill of sale signed when selling your gun to someone privately if a.) you bought it from an FFL, or b.) you were subjected to a bill of sale when buying from a guy in the hood.

Gun shops would have to turn over the millions and millions of paper copy 4473's for the fed to have a database pointing to folks that bought. Further, this portion of the law would have to be amended in order to allow the records to be searched by name.

Gun store clerks rarely go far when they call in, feel free to listen and question, I have and never once heard them give a serial number, make or model, and they've never sent the 4473.

Last edited by Goooh; 09-04-2016 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
The NICS is required by federal law to destroy the background check request within 24hrs, the dealer has to keep the record for 20 years unless he goes out of business, if they do then they have to send all the records to the ATF.

Form 4473 is what contains the serial number and detailed firearm information, but isn't what is supplied to the NICS. The NICS gets your personal information via phone call normally and simply runs a check then comes back and says yes, no or maybe; the conversation if whether you bought or not isn't had, the FFL logs the outcome on his form 4473 which is kept in house as mentioned above. All the NCIS gets is what type of gun you are trying to buy (I.e. Rifle, handgun, etc...).

Now, if your gun turns up in a bust or a crime scene it is absolute possible to track it down, but it doesn't happen by a LEO just sending the serial number to someone and them running it and you're name turning up... Manufacturers are required to keep a record of which guns were sold to which FFL's, the LEO then gets that information from the manufacturer and gets in touch with the FFL that took possession. The FFL, being that he has the 20 year record, is required to turn over his log on that weapon. If someone tried to buy it and got denied, then the FFL will have that 4473 associated with the weapon along wth your record and anyone else that tried to buy it and got denied or backed out. Now the LEO conducting the investigation has your information, and keeps running the lead as far as the paper trail allows - THIS is why you should get a bill of sale signed when selling your gun to someone privately if a.) you bought it from an FFL, or b.) you were subjected to a bill of sale when buying from a guy in the hood.

Gun shops would have to turn over the millions and millions of paper copy 4473's for the fed to have a database pointing to folks that bought. Further, this portion of the law would have to be amended in order to allow the records to be searched by name.

Gun store clerks rarely go far when they call in, feel free to listen and question, I have and never once heard them give a serial number, make or model, and they've never sent the 4473.
You are correct that the information is supposed to be destroyed and not kept, cataloged and maintained. The government has proven so trustworthy in the past so there's nothing to worry about right? Your information is correct I'm just asking what basis do we have to trust them? Any of them.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216
Default permanent ban

Quote:
You are correct that the information is supposed to be destroyed and not kept, cataloged and maintained. The government has proven so trustworthy in the past so there's nothing to worry about right? Your information is correct I'm just asking what basis do we have to trust them? Any of them.

What information are you scared of? The bit that I mentioned about the NICS not knowing what gun you are inquiring about? Or the bit about the FFL never notifying anyone of what gun you inquired about? Or the bit about the manufacturer not even knowing what gun you inquired about? Or did the FFL clerk text the ATF my serial number when I left?

The NICS does not even know if you bought the gun, did you overlook that part of the post? You can run a ackground check and change your mind and walk out, NICS doesn't care.

You think all these small town FFLs would be violating the Brady bill by sending your purchase information to the NICS and/or ATF behind your back? How about the NRA? You think the NRA wouldn't have said something if serial numbers were linked to your information during background checks, then potentially stored?

Jesus Christ
Old 09-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Sailfish

Ruby Ridge, Waco Texas and then that guy from the group of cattle owners that got gunned down. Was that Oregon? I'm not quit sure. I have no reason to trust the government. That guys name is eluding me right now. If you watch the drone footage enough it's pretty clear he wasn't going for a gun. He grabbed his side because he took a bullet while posing no threat. Someone got trigger happy. If your weapon in on your side you don't draw it with both hands. You draw it with your carry side hand and transition to a two hand grip while bringing your sights to the target. He went from hands up to grabbing his right side with both hands then was shot down. He wasn't drawing a gun. He got hit by a hollowpoint.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
What information are you scared of? The bit that I mentioned about the NICS not knowing what gun you are inquiring about? Or the bit about the FFL never notifying anyone of what gun you inquired about? Or the bit about the manufacturer not even knowing what gun you inquired about? Or did the FFL clerk text the ATF my serial number when I left?

The NICS does not even know if you bought the gun, did you overlook that part of the post? You can run a ackground check and change your mind and walk out, NICS doesn't care.

You think all these small town FFLs would be violating the Brady bill by sending your purchase information to the NICS and/or ATF behind your back? How about the NRA? You think the NRA wouldn't have said something if serial numbers were linked to your information during background checks, then potentially stored?

Jesus Christ
Calm down. I know I got tracked down some 13 years after I bought a gun. Just saying when was the last time you had a reason to trust the government? Wasn't trying to start anything. Just food for thought.