SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569
Default wildlife commission/CCA responses

I sent 2 emails in regards to most of the issues discussed on this board lately. Oyster dredging, license fees, channel dredging, weir control, I sent the emails to the wildlife commission and to CCA CEO(David Cresson). Within hours I didn't get a reply email, I recieved phone calls from both the commision member Will Drost and CCA CEO David Cresson. Had lengthy conversations with both. I'll tell you both have our best interest at heart and they are working on a lot of issues.

I suggest instead of all just sitting here complaining about things that we really don't know jack about. Take action type up an email with your concerns or questions and send it. Thats the only way to get your voice heard, I promise sitting here complaining is not going to change anything.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Bureaucrats and politicians are masterful at convincing the naive that their concerns are being addressed.

But the fact is that the when SC members expressed their concerns on the proposed tripletail regulations in writing, CCA and the LWF Commission went full speed ahead only taking additional steps to hide and make their ongoing efforts less transparent.

I've written to CCA and to LWF Commission about various issues and never received a single reply. All appearances are of some kind of old boys network where the average citizen is neglected and you gotta know somebody ...
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Red Snapper

-dredging and use of spoils are being worked on now. Corp was going to just run a discharge pipe out in to the middle of the lake and cut it loose there. CCA suggested that be a very bad idea, and are working with corp on ideas on where to dump spoils that will help stop erosion.

- license fee increase. Will be used for dock studies etc. This will enable Big Lake to have its own data and be managed as a single estuary. Instead of being lumped in with the state trout and redfish data as in the past. Big lake is unique compared to the rest of the state and it would be good for it to be mangaed that way.

- weir operations. CCA connot operate the weirs, but they have a good relationship with the corp here and will inquire about the current operations of the weirs. I passed on the comments and questions that you guys brought up here.

-oyster dredging. The bill was being passed to limit the amount of dredging in the lake. Most oyster fisherman where on board with it because dredging isn't good for their future either. But the only people that took action were the ones for it. Protesting Blade's office and making death threats towards him. If we want oyster dredging to be regulated it will take some action on our parts. pnone calls and emails and support for the people pushing it not, death threats.

- Hopfully there will be a public meeting in the future to address all of the questions and issues we have about the future of the lake.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Bureaucrats and politicians are masterful at convincing the naive that their concerns are being addressed.

But the fact is that the when SC members expressed their concerns on the proposed tripletail regulations in writing, CCA and the LWF Commission went full speed ahead only taking additional steps to hide and make their ongoing efforts less transparent.

I've written to CCA and to LWF Commission about various issues and never received a single reply. All appearances are of some kind of old boys network where the average citizen is neglected and you gotta know somebody ...
Triple Tail? That is your main issue with everything else that is going on around this lake?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post
Triple Tail? That is your main issue with everything else that is going on around this lake?
No, tripletail or not the main issue, but it was an issue that motivated many SC members to action, and the actions were met with silence and hiding while pushing the agenda forward.

I've also attempted correspondence regarding "more important" issues and been ignored there as well. It's boycott the S.T.A.R. time, now. I expect them to be much more amenable (or at least pretend to be) once it becomes clear how much money it costs them to ignore important concerns and continue pushing more restrictive regulations.

I've learned that when a bureaucracy screws you on one issue, they'll screw you on other issues too.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
- license fee increase. Will be used for dock studies etc. This will enable Big Lake to have its own data and be managed as a single estuary. Instead of being lumped in with the state trout and redfish data as in the past. Big lake is unique compared to the rest of the state and it would be good for it to be mangaed that way.
Reading between the lines, can we expect CCA to use this "data" to push for more restrictive regulations on other species in addition to specks?

Will they push for lower limits on redfish and a narrower slot (21"-24") like they pushed for in Florida?

I contacted Read Hendon, the MS biologist whose data CCA referred to when pushing for the restrictive tripletail limits in the July LWF Commission meeting. The data has not been subject to peer review nor published and yet CCA referred to it when pushing for more restrictive limits. Do we expect them to be more honest if they can claim the data they are twisting originated in Big Lake?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Reading between the lines, can we expect CCA to use this "data" to push for more restrictive regulations on other species in addition to specks?

Will they push for lower limits on redfish and a narrower slot (21"-24") like they pushed for in Florida?

I contacted Read Hendon, the MS biologist whose data CCA referred to when pushing for the restrictive tripletail limits in the July LWF Commission meeting. The data has not been subject to peer review nor published and yet CCA referred to it when pushing for more restrictive limits. Do we expect them to be more honest if they can claim the data they are twisting originated in Big Lake?
What did Hendon say? CCA was lying?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:06 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
What did Hendon say? CCA was lying?
Hendon said the data was not available and had not been published yet.

CCA was not reporting on actual published data or findings, but only hearsay.

So Louisiana is managing our fish stocks based on hearsay regarding the stocks in Mississippi, and CCA is pushing it because it suits their agenda of more restrictive regulations.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Gonna trust a couple politicians lol
Old 04-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

T-TOP if CCA wants the support of me or others at this site then they better damn well try to earn it with ACTIONS and not just fancy double talk and unkept promises like them politicians always saying just wait until after the election and i'll get right on it. well they keep saying "do our job for us" and support STAR and then we'll get working on your concerns. if we have to do all the lobbying then why do we need and why should we support CCA? so they can walk around like a bunch of big shots? support means backing someone up but if they don't show up you aren't backing up anything so start publicly and privately start condemning regulations that are unwarranted and start lobbying for restrictions to be removed and limits to be increased where they can be like drum and redfish that are overpopulated and no longer in need of any type of protections.

tell them for us (since you seam to be the only one they seam fit to reply to) that we no longer will support them or STAR and will work to convince others not to support them either until they start talking ACTION and showing up to support OUR concerns and NOT pushing further unwarranted restrictions on us with no scientific reason for it.

while you are at it tell them we want all limitations on drum removed completely and the redfish limits doubled to 10 fish and 2 over 27". the size limit on redfish should also be reduced to 14" unless there is bonafide scientific PROOF that it will hurt the spawning populations.

the more excuses I hear from CCA and LWF the more i am convinced they care nothing about sportsmen and just want to restrict our rights to harvest our fisheries that scientists say can more then support increased harvesting and fishing pressure.

I dont think they will never increase our harvest even when science supports that doing so will not harm the fisheries.

their actions and lack there of continue to support the image that they don't represent the interests of sportsmen and are nothing more then environmental activists.

Last edited by keakar; 04-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Guys. I've known David Cresson since he has been CCA Executive Director.. He's a Stand-up guy...

I can't speak for him.. But I'm sure U can invite him to come talk at a "MEETING"..

Invite UR elected officials??? Invite any WLF commissioner????

Analogy: It may be a poor one; but I'm not a Rocket Scientist Like MATH GEEK..

I'm just a simple CAJUNBOY.

I was at a red snapper public input meeting held in Lafayette, Several months ago... Believe me the Gulf Councils representative (Young Lady) was asked ALOT of HARD QUESTION'S. She listened to everyone of the questions/comments and everyone of themthey were recorded..... The questions and Comments were VERY, VERY HEATED AT TIMES..

SHE Took them back to the Gulf Council Meeting and they were reviewed... Still the Recreational Fisherman got it in the Rear, when the Federal Judge ruled in the Commercials favor..

The Very Old Analogy: U can Attract More FLY's with HONEY THAN Vinegar Applies here..

If many "JOIN TOGETHER". They can EFFECT More change By Using Honey than Vinegar..

Biggun

Last edited by biggun; 04-17-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Red Snapper

Keakar, go ahead and not enter the STAR and sit on your hands and do nothing else... See how much change happens. I could care less who fishes the STAR. Or joins CCA, but sitting at home talking big SH$T on a Internet forum isn't going to change anything.... I don't like the fact to prizes have went down hill in the STAR, I didn't include that In my email because we have bigger issues than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Keakar, go ahead and not enter the STAR and sit on your hands and do nothing else... See how much change happens. I could care less who fishes the STAR. Or joins CCA, but sitting at home talking big SH$T on a Internet forum isn't going to change anything.... I don't like the fact to prizes have went down hill in the STAR, I didn't include that In my email because we have bigger issues than that.

you are right and supporting CCA also isn't going to change anything as proven by their actions and lack there of but they do have nice shirts and take pretty pictures with all our money.

we need to find an organization to put our support and $$$ behind that DOES represent the interests of sportsmen and CCA has shown it is not them.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
you are right and supporting CCA also isn't going to change anything as proven by their actions and lack there of but they do have nice shirts and take pretty pictures with all our money.

we need to find an organization to put our support and $$$ behind that DOES represent the interests of sportsmen and CCA has shown it is not them.

There is no other group.... Your voice in a reasonable and intelligent fashion is much stronger than blindly throwing money at an organization.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
There is no other group....
we are not unwilling to come out and be active to support any organization that is working FOR our interests but we aren't going to support CCA who works AGAINST our interests at every opportunity.

if no group exists then one will be created but one thing is for sure as long as its not run by CCA or LWF it will be one that truly represents the interests of sportsmen and not about good times and special interests.

millions of sportsmen in this state are sickened by CCA and LWF and what its become and will gladly support any startup group that champions the causes we support. sure it will take time but if the group represents our interests then in a short 2 or 3 years it will be bigger and more powerful then CCA ever dreamed of being and when you pizz off and betray sportsmen they don't forgive that and will jump at the chance to oppose them and support a group to replace them so a new voice free from special interests is there to speak for us and be supported by us.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:

I'd rather no change than more change for the worse thanks to CCA
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Keakar

In UR last post; it sounds Like U would the logical Choice to be the "Founding FATHER" of that Organization..

Start it UP !!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Flounder

Cash: 684

Anyone familiar with this organization? Not sure if they could help in the erosion/land loss matter?

http://www.crcl.org/about-us/mission.html
Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

So let me ask a simple question? Just WHAT are your "interests."?? Seems like what I get from reading a lot of threads and posts on this forum and others is that it boils down to being able to catch and keep any and as many fish as you can. Sad actually.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

I'm fixing to start going to the oyster shucker and filling sacks of shucked oysters and build some small ones... Of course I'll be building em in the middle of the night! Along w some cinder blocks... Anyone know the price of oyster seed and how much it covers etc?