SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776
Default Setup for Trout

Guys, I have gotten two setups for larger reds and they certainly will tackle any trout but looking for some advice on a setup just for trout. Spinning rods/reels. Trying to assemble all my tackle to bring down for winters when I retire in January and much easier to get stuff now when I have a paycheck!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Medium/light casting rod for plugs and jigs.....medium spinning rod for cork setup. All you really need.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Medium/light casting rod for plugs and jigs.....medium spinning rod for cork setup. All you really need.
Agree
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

What part of ID are you in? My mom lives outside of Cour de Alene(sp?)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I use med-light action rods [6' 6" to 7"] for all my fishing. I can handle 25 lb Reds with no problem.

I use Shimano Curado reels with 12 lb mono line.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Redfish

[QUOTE=southern151;406301]What part of ID are you in? My mom lives outside of Cour de Alene(sp?)[/QUOTE

Opposite corner.....Idaho Falls. I love Couer' de Alene....really nice area and way better weather than we have.

But the fishing up there can't hold a candle to what we have.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

GEAUX BRONCOS!!!

Idaho/Mississippi just don't look right.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
GEAUX BRONCOS!!!

Idaho/Mississippi just don't look right.
We have season tickets to the Broncos. Thinking I might even bring my skiff down the end of September (to avoid having to bring it down next winter) and go to our game at Southern Miss.

And yeah I get a lot of questions up here as to why the hell I bought a winter home in MS.....but I ain't telling them about dem reds!

And thanks for the replies so far guys. Been leaning toward a 6 1/2' med light spin rod. Keep the recommendations coming and brand/models would be helpful. Being a mostly all fly guy this is pretty foreign to me.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

80lb power pro and pop n cork with gulp
Old 03-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
80lb power pro and pop n cork with gulp
Would you fish that setup?

since we're now talking about line instead of spinning rod/reel setups....

I have 2 med actions and 1 med light. All 7ft. Dont fish much with spinning gear, but braid doesnt twist like mono does. Im sure some spinning tackle guys can steer you to a good reel. I like the med light while jigging.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
Guys, I have gotten two setups for larger reds and they certainly will tackle any trout but looking for some advice on a setup just for trout. Spinning rods/reels. Trying to assemble all my tackle to bring down for winters when I retire in January and much easier to get stuff now when I have a paycheck!

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome to the salty cajun, steve. Im also on the east cape forum (muleskinner). Check out the okuma inspira spinning reels, im using the inspira 30 with 30lb suffix braid. I like the 7 ft medium/ light okuma c3 rods for trout. Good luck man, maybe one day we can meet up when your down. Im hoping my Fury will go to mold soon
Old 03-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
Welcome to the salty cajun, steve. Im also on the east cape forum (muleskinner). Check out the okuma inspira spinning reels, im using the inspira 30 with 30lb suffix braid. I like the 7 ft medium/ light okuma c3 rods for trout. Good luck man, maybe one day we can meet up when your down. Im hoping my Fury will go to mold soon
We'll have to get together to fish for sure. Two reasons to get out of Idaho winters. No snow and to go fishing. And I will have nothing but time.

Man, I bet you are having sleepless nights waiting for the new Fury. The good news is that it will be worth the wait. The bad news is its going to seem like it takes forever!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
We'll have to get together to fish for sure. Two reasons to get out of Idaho winters. No snow and to go fishing. And I will have nothing but time.

Man, I bet you are having sleepless nights waiting for the new Fury. The good news is that it will be worth the wait. The bad news is its going to seem like it takes forever!
Lol. Ive lost many hours of sleep, believe me. Its pretty much totally consumed me. All i do is watch fury videos. Ive built the skiff in my head a thousand times. Its gonna be worth the wait though!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Shimano 4000 series reels and /or Okuma 300 or 400 series reels. Price range for these depends on the models. 7 foot med/light action rods.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 2,199
FlagUS

Specks: I fish with only two rods. One rod is a stickem 7' Tail special for soft plastics and the other is a 6'6" Stickem (not sure of the name) for all my topwater and twitchbaits. The stickem rods are bought locally from Jay (long cast), they are the best bang for the buck and so far I have really enjoyed using them. Both rods are equipped with Shimano's Curado's 200E7. Line is power pro braid 20# test. A lot of guys prefer a spinning (egg beaters) set up for fishing with corks, and spinner baits.

Reds: Here is where I prefer my Shimano Calcutta's and Allstar rods (7') medium fast tips, and again power pro braid 30# test.

I'm sure there are for more superior setups to my personal preference. I believe in taking an economical approach to my tackle because you don't have to spend outrageous amounts of cash to be a good fisherman. Money doesn't put fish in the boat, skill does!

Another piece of advise, book a guided trip on your first coulpe of trips on Big Lake with the likes of Captain Bruce Baugh (cajun wader) or other knowledgeable guides. The payoff will far outweigh the costs down the road, as learning the lake geography and fishing patterns are crucial to success and could save you a lil gas money.

Best of luck to ya, and hope to meet you on the lake one day!