SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 06-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917
Default Big Lake Quickie 6-3

Made it out on the lake around 530-545, got off the water just after sunset. All caught up north on white Gulp shrimp.

Lost a few fish due to line breaking...Ive been having this problem lately and don't know what is the problem. Usually the line will break off at the knot. Doesn't matter which jighead I use and I have fresh power pro 20lb on my reel...I already try to strip out line to get some fresh line each trip, but maybe I'm not going far enough or maybe the knot is causing problems? Also the rod is stored indoors.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

I quit using Power Pro 20# due to same problem, I heard many people say same thing but I tried it myself and after losing numerous baits by line snapping I went to 40# PowerPro and no problem since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Made it out on the lake around 530-545, got off the water just after sunset. All caught up north on white Gulp shrimp.

Lost a few fish due to line breaking...Ive been having this problem lately and don't know what is the problem. Usually the line will break off at the knot. Doesn't matter which jighead I use and I have fresh power pro 20lb on my reel...I already try to strip out line to get some fresh line each trip, but maybe I'm not going far enough or maybe the knot is causing problems? Also the rod is stored indoors.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Red Snapper

Might have to try that...Did changing line affect your casting at all? I use spinning reels..
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I had some 30 pound power pro doing the same thing,breaking before the knot. Been using stren sonic braid like it better than pp.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,752

man, I am no trout or red guru, but have been fishing with power pro for a few years now and have had no problems. You have to use a palomar knot. I have straightened jigheads from pulling on them when stuck on a reef with 20lb test. If you use a regular knot that you would tie with mono, the power pro will slip and untie.

The jighead in the attached pic was straightened four times on big reds on a trip with Jadams last August.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120809-00086.jpg (41.3 KB, 418 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

I use 15lb power pro on my spinner. Oyster reefs fray braid. Use segar abrasion resistant flouro leader.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

The area before the knot is what is hitting the reef or whatever just check for frays and retie periodically It's important to wet the knot before you draw it down also. The heat from friction can weaken line and cause breakage. Not saying that's it but a idea. I use 10# pp on my spinners and I rarely break off. I've broke off reds trying to horse them.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Red Snapper

Its actually breaking off at the eye of the hook. like my loop of braid going through is breaking...Ive never had this problem until recently. Ive winched in countless reds without a problem at all. I also put a loogey on my knot and cinch it tight. Gonna learn the palomar and see if that helps...Just trying to rule out the things you guys are mentioning. Thanks yall
Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
The area before the knot is what is hitting the reef or whatever just check for frays and retie periodically It's important to wet the knot before you draw it down also. The heat from friction can weaken line and cause breakage. Not saying that's it but a idea. I use 10# pp on my spinners and I rarely break off. I've broke off reds trying to horse them.
And rods!!! A few recently. Needs to tie ya blank with polymer knot..
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Sailfish

I rarely tie a polymer. Trilene knot works just fine fer me. Didn't break any fish off today. Or awhile for that matter. Not to sound like an arse but how u know it breaking at the knot. U getting curly ques on your whip end? Knot ain't holding.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

How much heat are you putting on those trout anyway? I don't think I've ever popped a line on a trout. I'd suggest easing off on the drag.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

I had the same problem one time with some 80# power pro. I think some of the line they sell just dry rots or something
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich View Post
I had the same problem one time with some 80# power pro. I think some of the line they sell just dry rots or something
I agree, seems like some PP is just not up to SPEC.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
How much heat are you putting on those trout anyway? I don't think I've ever popped a line on a trout. I'd suggest easing off on the drag.
I don't winch them in too hard, and my drag is set where I can pull line out of the reel out without too much effort when storing my hook on the keeper. A couple of the trout in that pic pulled drag for example
Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk-Rich View Post
It's that cheap spectra fiber they use, and their lack of quality control on their process they use to make it smaller and stronger - other attributes are sacrificed to try and achieve these claims...

Buy Dyneema, it's what our armed forces use for ballistics now and is made in the Carolina's. Much better quality fiber and has better tension-tension fatigue life.

Remember, some trucks can tout more horsepower, but fall apart around you long before the competitor... And the competitor produces far fewer lemons.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
It's that cheap spectra fiber they use, and their lack of quality control on their process they use to make it smaller and stronger - other attributes are sacrificed to try and achieve these claims...

Buy Dyneema, it's what our armed forces use for ballistics now and is made in the Carolina's. Much better quality fiber and has better tension-tension fatigue life.

Remember, some trucks can tout more horsepower, but fall apart around you long before the competitor... And the competitor produces far fewer lemons.
I agree I used power pro for years...got several spools that were good but also had some bad ones. The stren sonic braid is made with dyneema. I tried countless companys and stren is my favorite.I use 40lb for baitcaster and 30lb for spinning. Sufix 832 is nice too but it does not last as long and is more expensive. I buy the stren from tacklewarehouse.com...for whatever reason not many people sell it.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
And rods!!! A few recently. Needs to tie ya blank with polymer knot..
Why you worried about my rods. There's plenty of broken ones in your garage. Polymer is the strongest knot specially with braid. I quit using a Triline knot when I was 10.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Red Snapper

That Palomar knot looks good. Definitely looks like it will hold better than. Crap I've been tying
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

You have to keep your braid in a cool place the day before you go fishing

nevermind thought this was a Yeti thread

A clinch knot will not hold up on that braid very well, you can do an improved clinch or just add some super glue to the knot. I have been using a fluoro shock leader and had no problems with knot slippage or breakage