SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 410
Default Dock Demolished in East Texas/ Leeville Fishing

As someone who works with pilings and docks on a daily basis, I see all too often what can happen when pilings are eaten away by gribble. Well, I worked on a dock in East Texas last week that blew my mind! The pilings were so eroded that the dock actually collapsed with several people on it. One was a child which really makes it hit home for me. Luckily no one was badly injured, but whenever things like this happen, I like to spread the word about the importance of inspecting your pilings regularly.

I think people often take for granted that those 'sticks' you depend on to support your docks, your camps, your boathouses. Pilings are constantly being eaten away by worms if they are not protected. Ever see pilings in the shape of an hourglass? Or notice ones that have deteriorated beyond comparison? Those are tell tale signs that you need to do something and fast! Here's what most people don't realize... there was a study by LSU Ag Center that mentioned if you have pilings in or near the water along the Gulf Coast, you are guaranteed to have a shipworm problem. In fact, they even said that untreated dock pilings may last less than a month in waterfront areas along the Gulf Coast. It's amazing that people spend so much on these beautiful camps, waterfront homes, and boat slips and don't realize the damage that can creep in if the pilings no longer support the bigger structure.

Here are some quick red flags that will help you identify signs of piling problems:

1. Water Staining
2. Plant Growth on Pilings
3. Hourglass Shaped Pilings
4. Excessive Softness (probe the piling)
5. Bore holes
6. Loose bolts or bracing

If you can think of other signs or suggestions, please post in the thread. That said, a lot of damage from worms occurs beneath the water line. Out of sight from anyone other than a diver. I always tell people...if you have unprotected pilings that have been in the water for more than a month, you should get a professional inspection. Inspections are free by most professionals and it can save you thousands later.

On a lighter note, I'll be in Leeville doing some fishing next weekend? Can anyone shed some light on how the fishing has been down there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3641.jpg (48.1 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg 3524097.jpg (32.5 KB, 517 views)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

For specks go further south to Grand Isle. They have been doing very good on the backside of the island. If you have to stay in leeville the southwest canal and canals off of it should be holding redfish.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

https://www.dockbuilders.com/piling-wrap.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2016, 07:34 AM
Sand Trout

Awesome! Thanks so much for the insight Latravcha! It's an annual fraternity tourny in Leeville so I'll be sure to hit those canals. Hopefully, I can get to Grand Isle soon. Haven't been able to do quite as much fishing as I would like lately!

Good add Juicy. And anyone who doesn't want to go the DIY route, click here to check out our team of piling repair contractors. It's literally half the cost to repair pilings versus replace them.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Head to Timbalier!!
Old 05-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: 848

Great Post Deep South. You may have saved some lives with the information.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Sand Trout

Sweet! Thanks Garfish. Will try to get out that way.